• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Uh, no thanks, I'll play this instead.

Sammael

Adventurer
I love this card! I wish we'd draw it more often (while in the correct other world). The one time someone had to fight Cthulhu was one of the most memorable encounters, since the player - almost - managed to win. Everyone was excited, cheering with every success rolled. Great times!

If you don't like this kind of thing, it's obviously not the right game for you :)
I'm fine with playing a game where you fight overwhelming odds, I just don't like losing every damn time, particularly when it's due to a random event instead of my own incompetence.

If I had the time to play Arkham on a daily or even weekly basis, maybe it'd be better. But playing it once a month... it just doesn't cut it.

Jhaelen

First Post
If I had the time to play Arkham on a daily or even weekly basis, maybe it'd be better. But playing it once a month... it just doesn't cut it.
I can feel your pain. I already had a lot of solo games under my belt before we started our first group games. I think it took four or five games before we achieved our first victory as a group.

Winning solo (with multiple investigators) is comparatively easy, since the investigators cooperate perfectly, are always willing to hand over items, don't waste time hunting monsters (unless necessary), etc.

But playing with a group is definitely more fun. The only complaint I have about Arkham Horror is that sometimes a game can drag on endlessly. This usually happens when you get a good start, have sealed a couple of gates and then the game suddenly shifts, e.g. with a nasty rumour, or gate bursts, or stuff! leading slowly but inevitably to a final combat after, say, six hours. Losing such a game can definitely be frustrating.

John Crichton

First Post
I can feel your pain. I already had a lot of solo games under my belt before we started our first group games. I think it took four or five games before we achieved our first victory as a group.

Winning solo (with multiple investigators) is comparatively easy, since the investigators cooperate perfectly, are always willing to hand over items, don't waste time hunting monsters (unless necessary), etc.

But playing with a group is definitely more fun. The only complaint I have about Arkham Horror is that sometimes a game can drag on endlessly. This usually happens when you get a good start, have sealed a couple of gates and then the game suddenly shifts, e.g. with a nasty rumour, or gate bursts, or stuff! leading slowly but inevitably to a final combat after, say, six hours. Losing such a game can definitely be frustrating.
Six hours? That should only happen if you've got 6+ players (which is gonna be a long game anyway) and there isn't someone savvy with the rules to avoid looking things up. Also, it's rare. Any game with so many moving parts can suffer drag if the right situations happen. I can't hold that against the game especially when the great majority of the time it's a blast. :)

Saeviomagy

Adventurer

Wow. We got to the stage where we were adding in the extra hard rules because we found the game was just too easy to beat (5+ players, various old ones, various expansions).

Mind you, we did that whole cooperation thing. Aren't you supposed to?

Crazy Jerome

First Post
I think Clue is the only one that fits the criteria for me. (I hate Stratego for example, but that is the game, not the people it might be played with.) With Clue, I've never met anyone that plays "intermediate" as I do. If it is casual players that deduce nothing, I always win. If it is advanced players that pursue all the possible deductions to the N-th degree, it takes forever. I kind of like for a detective game to be a mix of deduction, intuition, and luck. Seems I'm alone. :)

Now, I've been "that guy" that they won't play with, too. My friends in high school refused to play Kingmaker with me anymore after the six player session where they all ganged up on me, but I won anyway by manipulating Parliment. :p

Mille Borne, Mexican Train Dominos, and several other games are ones that I like, but don't much care for with only two players. The game changes too much when without something to avoid a "head-to-head" runaway scenario.

Wycen

Explorer
I think Clue is the only one that fits the criteria for me. (I hate Stratego for example, but that is the game, not the people it might be played with.) With Clue, I've never met anyone that plays "intermediate" as I do. If it is casual players that deduce nothing, I always win. If it is advanced players that pursue all the possible deductions to the N-th degree, it takes forever. I kind of like for a detective game to be a mix of deduction, intuition, and luck. Seems I'm alone. :)

You might want to give Mystery Express a try. You'll get to enjoy playing it once and the others will quite possibly say "we should have played Clue instead".

The game has deduction, but chance is involved as the clues get passed around and you have to remember who passed you what. Then they tack on a timed memory component, which nearly eveybody disliked when we played. My thought was simply to remove 1 or 2 of the possibilities.

Blackbrrd

First Post
.... So I said to hell with it and just let one of them take over a country so the game can end. They were really peeved at me for that.

....The other thing I like to do is with this one particular now ex friend of mine is if I'm down to a few property cards, I will quit the game and give them to somebody else other than him ....

I have a friend who has a tendency to do stuff like this, he only gets invited to like 50% of the games we play because he usually ruins the fun for everybody around the table.

One game of Transport Tycoon he transported goods on another guys rails just to give him points. We agreed that those extra points weren't being added and if he wanted to play games he wouldn't disrupt the game in that manner.

lin_fusan

First Post
I'm not too interested in playing Twilight Imperium anymore. I've played it five-ish times, and it's not just that it's too long, but after Turn 2 (which takes an hour), I've already realized that I've screwed up, meaning I will be a point behind everyone else for the rest of the game (the other 7 hours).

I've never been a fan of Munchkin, even though everyone else I know loves the game. It might be because I don't really feel that there are meaningful choices in the game.

Fluxx is a game that I like in concept, but after several plays, realize that there is an optimal play every hand, it's just that there isn't any real reason to think of an optimal play.

I've noticed that I don't tend to enjoy longer, heavier games. I still like Puerto Rico, for example, but it tends to take too much brainpower and time than I have at 7pm.

Wycen

Explorer
We played several party games a few weeks ago and one of them in particular was just not up to the task. Maybe with a group of well read or travelled scholars it might work, though I still question the fun factor: Wise and Otherwise.

One of my friends mentioned that in previous play people would write things down just in order to see if she could read them with a straight face, I'm guessing dirty jokes. I really wish I had done that.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
I'm not too interested in playing Twilight Imperium anymore. I've played it five-ish times, and it's not just that it's too long, but after Turn 2 (which takes an hour), I've already realized that I've screwed up, meaning I will be a point behind everyone else for the rest of the game (the other 7 hours).

I'll agree with you with a slightly different point of view. The math of the game is too straight-forward and gameplay is predictable. I've played it 7 times with the same group of players and won six with six different races by following the same strategy. 1. Keep control of the speaker token, 2. Play the Imperial card, 3. Avoid fighting.

As to the 7 hour thing, that happens when players think the game is about combat and forget about the victory point track. Our games lasted about 4 hours with 5 players.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads