• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Uh, no thanks, I'll play this instead.

Nimloth

First Post
My list

I won't play Risk.

I also have a friend I tend not to play with. He is smart, a good tactician and LUCKY. When you combine all those qualities he tends to win way more than his fair share of games (80%+).

Blackbrrd

First Post
Settlers of Catan. Yes, great gateway game but for some reason I don't care about playing it. Maybe because I've never won, (yes, something as silly as that affects my judgement). Seems like the only way to get ahead is being a jerk and cutting off another persons growth, especially in a 4 player game (have not played with the 5-6 player expansion).

I don't like the part where you are constantly screwing your buddies. I can play it with some of my friends, while with others it gets nasty. I am relatively good at it though, so I have won a couple of games.

I like games like Arkham Horror where you are cooperating - it's the same reason I like rpg's.

I have come to dislike games with informal alliances, somebody always feel screwed.

Wycen

Explorer
Some possible additions to my 'no thanks' list.

Twilight Imperium. Too dang long.

Android. Also pretty long, but I would probably play it again if
the rules were explained better.

Small World. I'm not sure what it is about this game, but it strikes
me as a meh experience. I think it might be because it
encourages you to exploit the weakest neighbor.

Le Havre might eventually be on the list. I'll have to play it with
different people first.

John Crichton

First Post
I play Carcassonne almost religiously.

I've won one game out of the last 44. We're keeping track.

Love the game.

It's not about winning, it's about trying to win and having fun.
I couldn't agree more. I suck at Carcassonne (for example) and rarely win but it's still fun to play. Same with other games.

I have no Won't Play list. Especially with people I've not played a particular game with. The crowd can totally change the experience and I'm not missing out on that. :)

I can also totally understand getting burned out on a game or being in a rut due to familiarity with all the players at the table. Nothing wrong with that. Great excuse to bust out a new game!

Punnuendo

First Post
Games I won't play:

Talisamn, Arkham Horror - I put these together because I have the same problem with each. What is a fun game play experience for the first hour and a half turns into drudgery for me when you are still doing the same things two or even three hours later. Both of these games just last way too long for their mechanics to support in my opinion. Oddly enough, I love games like Twilight Imperium that are even longer, but remain fun and interesting to me throughout.

Pandemic - Just don't enjoy playing it. Played a couple of times with different groups and the game just isn't fun for me.

Are You the Traitor? - Really, is this anything more than just a simple guessing game?

Bang! - Only because I've played it far far far too many times.

RoboRally - Another game that I simply just do not enjoy playing.

There is a friend of mine with whom I should never ever again play Trivial Pursuit (as a team).

Individually, we each were formidable. Together, we were a disaster.

Every time she thought I was absolutely right, her answer was the correct one. Every time I relented and went with her answer, my answer was the correct one. We ended up with one pie wedge and a lot of buddies who were red-faced from laughing.

Long ago I stopped playing Trivial Pursuit with my brother. He is a couple years younger than me and the youngest in the family. After I went to college, he was at home alone and bored a lot. So, he read the cards.

Well, one day we're playing and the question is about some secondary character in a British Novel that no one at the table had ever heard of. Of course, he knew it! I looked at him and just started laughing...

Of course, my wife will never play Monopoly with me again. We were dating and she was killing me. Had 2 or 3 color groups and the railroads to my one color group. Well, every time she got up to get something, I snuck $500 out of the bank. She still killed me (something about her having tons of cash flow and me having none), but at least it lasted a lot longer. This was back when being together was the important thing.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Are You the Traitor? - Really, is this anything more than just a simple guessing game?

It all depends on who you are playing with. I've had some good groups were people got into character and made it a lot of fun. But since it does so depend on the people playing it does make it a weak but simple game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads