Uh... since when was this an issue.

Crothian

First Post
The toxicity isn't the mechanic itself. It is the way the mechanic is viewed. Sorry if that is unclear that is the nature of having to refer to DoaM in such a way. I'm not saying that DoaM is bad because it is unbalanced. It is bad because of the many considerations that weren't put into the mechanic.

What considerations?

It doesn't interact with the game-world well. It doesn't (to me) have a consistent and good explanation of how it works.

If it had a good explanation on how it works would you change your mind?

I don't care if it is the WEAKEST choice in the game, it bugs me all the same. It is toxic because it makes people not want to play the game. It is a weed because this poorly thought out idea might spread to other areas and be equally poorly thought out in their interactions and for how they work.

People don't want to play the game because DoaM is Toxic. DoaM is toxic because people don't want to play the game. When did D&D become Paranoia?

How is this idea going to spread to other areas? It can't be just because you feel it is a poorly thought out rule. D&D has had poorly thought out rules for 40 years.

evileeyore

Mrrrph
It is toxic because it makes people not want to play the game.
By 'people' you mean you*. And really, and I'm serious now, you really don't want to start down the "Let's remove things that make people not want to play this game" path.

Cause like, I'm all for ditching levels and classes. And Alignments. And Vancian magic.

And... well we're not playing D&D anymore then are we?

* And seven others on this message board at least one of whom is an obvious alt.

It is a weed because this poorly thought out idea might spread to other areas and be equally poorly thought out in their interactions and for how they work.
Or you could give the creators a bit more faith and see how it interacts with the rest of the game before declaring the "SYSTEM IS FALLING!".

This goes beyond role.
I take back my "we shouldn't stamp out things" statement above, can we please stamp out the concept of "role"?

Pretty please?

I'm not even opposed to making/supernatural some fighters magical - a la paladin, ranger, monk? - in order to get new tricks accomplished. Even in those cases, while I expect a paladin to be great at combating evil, I expect the fighter to be the king of combat.
All four should be "Kings of Combat" when compared to the other classes, they should just all do it slightly differently (I'm lumping Barbarians in here).

D&D has had poorly thought out rules for 40 years.
Bwahahahahahahahahahah!

That made my day, sir. Aha, yeah, that totally made my day.

Tovec

Explorer
@Bluenose - there you go again with your outrageous suggestions that there are non-magical ways for people to become dazed, blinded, crippled or maimed in warfare. Where's the verisimilitude in that!
I actually have no problem with fighters poking out people's eyes or damaging them in ways that cause certain status conditions. So long as they have to succeed on the attack roll and don't get the effect as a consolidation prize I am okay with things like what @Bluenose describes.

What considerations?
There was an excellent thread on the WotC forums about this - about the ways that DoaM doesn't interact with the rules - but at the moment I can't find it. However off the top of my head, (mis?)remembering common complaints from that thread and from my past ones; poison, high-dodging/dex characters (pixies), high natural armored characters (dragons), 4e style minion rules/low HP creature rules (some seem to think it doesn't/shouldn't *kill* them, ever, but as written it does no problem), damage resistance (a big one here), resistance of extra damage that can be applied (precision, energy, superiority), interactions with the advantage/disadvantage mechanic (doesn't matter since you can no longer fail to kill creatures with this ability). I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting, we discussed this thing for weeks and kept coming up with new issues where it didn't match. Now some of these can be handwaved away but most require a new ruling from the DM since the mechanic is VERY unwritten about the interaction.

If it had a good explanation on how it works would you change your mind?
I would have to see that explanation. It is possible. At this point though I probably feel a little gunshy about the whole idea. I also fundamentally disagree with the concept. I don't get why the closest mechanic that this one relates to is an entirely different type of "attack," that is an explosion, a splash, or magic in general. I'll go back to my car/bat example. I have problems when the character can "hit" the ball all the way to Delaware from San Diego. It doesn't matter (to me) that cars exist, but the idea that a simple baseball player could ever manage to do something like that just irks me.

People don't want to play the game because DoaM is Toxic. DoaM is toxic because people don't want to play the game. When did D&D become Paranoia?
Yeah, I don't know what that line has to do with Paranoia, I only learned of that game's existence a few days ago. If any mechanic makes hordes of real life people significantly less interested in the game, I would say it is a bad mechanic from WotC's standpoint since those are customers they are driving away with something easily corrected. It could be a matter of echo chambers, or squeaky wheels, or even "only people with a problem come out and complain." I don't know. WotC has done a lot of polls and surveys and general research on the subject. However, from my limited scope all I do see is that DoaM got its own subforum here when no other 5e mechanics have (so far :p), that for a while it was almost ALL the threads on the WotC site because people hated it so much, and that WotC even had to start blocking threads because it had gotten so "echoey." To me that seems toxic, doesn't matter what the actual rule says. Having something that displeases so many people on such a scale is a bad thing in my mind.

How is this idea going to spread to other areas? It can't be just because you feel it is a poorly thought out rule. D&D has had poorly thought out rules for 40 years.
How does it spread? Go look at the new thread Bluenose created about non-magical ideas for non-magical fighters. I haven't gotten too far into it but the first few suggestions were to plunder ideas from the Bestiary. I agree with that statement since many of them will be non-magical and could apply to fighters. But when something like this, something seemingly magical or at least not non-magical, slips through then it will do the same. It will appear in further splatbooks, other Bestiary/Monster Manuals. Once an idea gets through it will expand out.

So the fact that DnD has had bad ideas for 40 years doesn't matter much. But having a toxic (per above) rule spread all over the place can make it even more toxic. Every instance of it is another instance people have to avoid. And I know that the common thought is that there will be something people will have to cut and this is just another example, but such reasoning assumes that it is a personal preference like any other system or that by in large almost everyone is okay with the mechanic. This isn't true, having a sub-forum for it proves it isn't just personal taste, it breaks verisimilitude and people's enjoyment of the game, and it isn't just one person rebelling against the whole it is large swaths of people all disliking it for many reasons. (Mine is the kobolds.)

A very large chunk has problems with HP and AC too - which is why I think WotC could still do better by giving us more options here, but I've been told they'll all be in the DMG. The problem with this mechanic (as I said before) is that it directly points at these two contested bits, stands firmly in a place and says how it works. All the time people don't play it that way. To many/most I've seen HP are meat. Not ALL meat mind you but certainly some. That is why poison works, we are told. At the end of a fight the fighter is full of bruises and nicks and cuts and bleeding. Except this mechanic points out that however we are playing with HP and AC we are doing it wrong because it knows better. Only it doesn't know better because there are no other similar mechanics that support it - except for magic and explosions, which aren't the fighter's bread and butter last I checked.

Crothian

First Post
There was an excellent thread on the WotC forums about this - about the ways that DoaM doesn't interact with the rules - but at the moment I can't find it. However off the top of my head, (mis?)remembering common complaints from that thread and from my past ones; poison, high-dodging/dex characters (pixies), high natural armored characters (dragons), 4e style minion rules/low HP creature rules (some seem to think it doesn't/shouldn't *kill* them, ever, but as written it does no problem), damage resistance (a big one here), resistance of extra damage that can be applied (precision, energy, superiority), interactions with the advantage/disadvantage mechanic (doesn't matter since you can no longer fail to kill creatures with this ability).

This is presumable how it failed to interact in 4e. What about 5e? Does 5e have minion rules or the advantage/disadvantage mechanic?

Some of those examples don't make sense. How does it fail to interact with high dodging or high natural armor creatures, by this I'm guessing you mean anything with a high AC no matter the source. Those type of creatures seem to be the reason for the rule. It is damage on a miss so creatures that are easy to hit this rule rarely comes up with, but hard to hit creatures the rule works perfectly against. Poison and extra damage should be written in the rule so I'm not seeing a problem there. I would guess that they don't apply but people argue they could to muddy the waters.

I would have to see that explanation. It is possible.

If that's true then with a thousands of creative minsd floating around the hobby I'm suprised someone hasn't come up with an explanation that works.

Yeah, I don't know what that line has to do with Paranoia, I only learned of that game's existence a few days ago.

What I stated is circular reasoning which can be an aspect of the Paranoia RPG.

If any mechanic makes hordes of real life people significantly less interested in the game, I would say it is a bad mechanic from WotC's standpoint since those are customers they are driving away with something easily corrected. It could be a matter of echo chambers, or squeaky wheels, or even "only people with a problem come out and complain." I don't know. WotC has done a lot of polls and surveys and general research on the subject. However, from my limited scope all I do see is that DoaM got its own subforum here when no other 5e mechanics have (so far :p), that for a while it was almost ALL the threads on the WotC site because people hated it so much, and that WotC even had to start blocking threads because it had gotten so "echoey." To me that seems toxic, doesn't matter what the actual rule says. Having something that displeases so many people on such a scale is a bad thing in my mind.

A subforum and Wizards banning of the topic was not because the subject is toxic. It is because people arguing it are misbehaving and we get trolling on the subject. Don't confuse people behaving badly on the internet as a reason for or against anything.

How does it spread? Go look at the new thread Bluenose created about non-magical ideas for non-magical fighters. I haven't gotten too far into it but the first few suggestions were to plunder ideas from the Bestiary. I agree with that statement since many of them will be non-magical and could apply to fighters. But when something like this, something seemingly magical or at least not non-magical, slips through then it will do the same. It will appear in further splatbooks, other Bestiary/Monster Manuals. Once an idea gets through it will expand out.

How is DoaM magical? Is it actually listed as a supernatural or magical ability or something like that?

So the fact that DnD has had bad ideas for 40 years doesn't matter much. But having a toxic (per above) rule spread all over the place can make it even more toxic.

Bad rules do matter. People sound like D&D was the perfect game until DoaM came around. And right now DoaM is not toxic. There is nothing else in the game that anyone has pointed out that DoaM has ruined. All we have is pure guesswork that if DoaM is in the rules that somehow it is going to seep into everything else and ruin them.

All the time people don't play it that way. .

If something doesn't work because people are not playing by the rules then it is not the rules that are to blame. If you have defined HP in such a way that it goes against the way the game defines it then it is your own definition that is toxic.

Bawylie

A very OK person
Isn't this sub forum a quarantine? And for WOTC, well the same account (plus sock puppets) was stirring up trouble here as well as there.

tsadkiel

Legend
Isn't this sub forum a quarantine? And for WOTC, well the same account (plus sock puppets) was stirring up trouble here as well as there.

It's certainly a very lightly trafficked sub-forum - as I write this, there are twenty threads, many of which where moved here after the subforum was created. And we went for over a month with no new posts at all.

Merlin the Tuna

First Post
It is now, but it somehow managed to earn literally thousands of furious posts in its prime.

Anecdote! I've only loosely been following 5E - I was pretty turned off by the first couple playtest packets, but I've checked in occasionally to keep an eye out for any interesting developments. In the meantime, I've been following the development of Massive Chalice, a turn-based strategy video game. A while back, the MC team mentioned they'd set up the system so that attacks by ranged units would either hit or miss, but melee attacks would either hit (full damage) or deliver a glancing blow (reduced damage) with no chance of a complete whiff. Response ranged from "That is acceptable" to "That's a really good idea!" Literally did not see a single complaint. It was about a week after that that I thought "Hrm, haven't been to EN World in months, might as well see what's up!" I nearly died laughing when I saw the topic had earned an entire forum's worth of doomsaying.

evileeyore

Mrrrph
In the meantime, I've been following the development of Massive Chalice, a turn-based strategy video game. A while back, the MC team mentioned they'd set up the system so that attacks by ranged units would either hit or miss, but melee attacks would either hit (full damage) or deliver a glancing blow (reduced damage) with no chance of a complete whiff. Response ranged from "That is acceptable" to "That's a really good idea!" Literally did not see a single complaint. It was about a week after that that I thought "Hrm, haven't been to EN World in months, might as well see what's up!" I nearly died laughing when I saw the topic had earned an entire forum's worth of doomsaying.
Not to give the Anti-DoaM crowd ammo... but...

There is a massive difference in the way ranged combat in TBT/S video games works versus TBTRPGs. So having melee unit (which are traditionally not as "potent"*) able to literally never miss, isn't as big an advantage.

It's a welcome advantage if you want to field mostly melee and cavalry units though.

And I'll have to check out this game, thanks for the heads up!

* In most Turn Based Tactical/Strategy video games ranged units can chew up a melee unit before it even gets close. Of course... this is where cav shines, which is rock-paper-scissored by pikemen, which are defeated by swordsmen and ranged untis, and round and round it goes...

Merlin the Tuna

First Post
Not to give the Anti-DoaM crowd ammo... but...

There is a massive difference in the way ranged combat in TBT/S video games works versus TBTRPGs. So having melee unit (which are traditionally not as "potent"*) able to literally never miss, isn't as big an advantage.
That's not really accurate, nor do I see how it could be accurate. Combat in Fire Emblem is different from combat in Super Robot Wars, is different from combat in XCOM, is different from combat in Final Fantasy Tactics, and so on and so forth. That's still totally independent of what we're actually talking about, anyway.

Last edited:

evileeyore

Mrrrph
That's not really accurate, no do I see how it could be accurate. Combat in Fire Emblem is different from combat in Super Robot Wars, is different from combat in XCOM, is different from combat in Final Fantasy Tactics, and so on and so forth. That's still totally independent of what we're actually talking about, anyway.
Okay, yea that is true.

Sorry, I've got Age of Wonder 3, Master of Magic, and other such style games on my brain right as that's what I've been playing all month...

In those games ranges units (even piddly ones) chew up melee, sometimes even cav before they can close (if they outnumber the incoming melee/cav units and aren't totally outclassed ;) ).

Remove ads