• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ultimate Combat previews have started!

Shisumo

First Post
Find the first one here!

Gun archetypes for cavaliers, fighters, paladins and wizards! (And maybe rangers? The trophy hunter seems like a safari type...)

Monks that can take Greater Maneuver feats without the prereqs!

A truly insane weapons list!

Fighters that can punch you into next Tuesday! Rogues that specialize in filleting you with daggers! Asian spins on the magus and Hispanic spins on the gunslinger! (Okay, maybe not that last one.)

What are you excited for?

Banshee16

First Post
Looks cool. I'm a bit curious about how they fit Musketeer in as a Cavalier archetype. They're pretty much the furthese you can get from a heavily armed and armored mounted social warrior.

I wonder how that'll work out. I'd have expected Musketeer to be something that would fit under Gunslinger.

Banshee

Shisumo

First Post
The gunslinger does get the musket master (which, despite my joke, is probably the counterpart to the pistolero). But I'm curious about how the musketeer will play out as well. I can easily see the Musketeers (as in, the royal French military unit) being cavaliers in the sense of being members of an Order - in fact, the Order of the Lion (protect the King) and especially the Order of the Dragon (all for one and one for all) both seem like perfect fits. But the fictional expectations seem to clash in other respects (even if the class would fit with historical fact), so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
*Gets exciting that they FINALLY realized monks suck at maneuvers and can't get Greater Trip/Disarm/etc...*

*Is crushingly disappointed to see a disgustingly nerfed archetype of the monk that loses flurry of blows for the ability to take a MINUS TWELVE on combat maneuver checks by level 15*

All* I wanted...was for monks by ~level 6....to be able to just go and grab any Greater Maneuver feat they wanted, like any melee class that doesn't have a crippling MAD problem or an inexplainably gimped BAB progression is able to. Why is that so DIFFICULT?

*Ok, that's not true. I started coming up with ideas to make monks playable, and every time my friends said I hadn't gone far enough. Current list of buffs weighs in at about a dozen improved or new class features.

Shisumo

First Post
*Is crushingly disappointed to see a disgustingly nerfed archetype of the monk that loses flurry of blows for the ability to take a MINUS TWELVE on combat maneuver checks by level 15*
I think that's not quite what the ability is supposed to do (though I freely admit it's written completely terribly). If you look at the regular monk's flurry progression, the various "steps" of attacks are at level-2, level-5 and level-12 at levels 15 and above, and each extra attack appears at the same level as the extra manuever does. I think the intended read is that the flurry of maneuvers uses the same BAB progression as the standard flurry, so not all the manuevers suffer the same effect.

As for nerfed... do you realize that this is the only character that can pin an opponent in one round at level 1?

Hitman187

First Post
I was really hoping for a Druid Archetype that focuses on and improves Wild Shape (like in 3.5 where it healed and was much more potent) at the cost of domain/companion and/or spells, but it doesn't seem to be in here. I am so close to mini-max breaking a backup tank in case the character I spent 3 weeks writing a background story to dies ;(

Volaran

First Post
I kind of wonder if the Ranger using guns will be more likely to show up as a just a combat style, rather than a full on archetype.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
As for nerfed... do you realize that this is the only character that can pin an opponent in one round at level 1?

Enemies go down in one hit at level 1 anyway, so what's that really matter? A monk can win two checks which are definitely not guaranteed and give someone the pinned condition. My Greatsword Fighter can hit and deal 2d6 +6 damage and give someone the dead/dying condition.

Shisumo

First Post
Very well, if you prefer, let me put it this way: do you realize that this is the only character who can pin an opponent in one round before level 6?

And the BBEG doesn't typically go down, in one attack or two, even at level one.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads