Ultimate Magic

IronWolf

blank
Still digging around, but a breif skim shows a lot of awsomeness filled with win. I'll see if there's some Adonis DNA or tiger blood around, but I'm not sold on the extra complexity of Words of Power.

Yeah - the Words of Power are what I need to take a closer look at. Not sure I am too into them.

Ampersand999

First Post
  1. Just bought the PDF. I'm thinking that with the one of the Bard "Masterpieces" (House of the Imaginary Walls) I can finally bring on an undead bard mime horde to plague the city. Because everyone hates a mime. Even evil deities hate mimes.
  2. Am I the only one that thinks the Magus class is basically a blurring of Fighter and Magic, just as a Bard is a blurring of Rogue and Magic?
  3. The "Youthful Appearance" spell...I'm not sure why there needed to be such a spell. It's not like a bouncer is going to interrupt a party member and go, "Excuse me, ma'am...I'm going to need to see some ID please." In fact quite a few of the spells (Waves of Pleasure, Unnatural Lust, Youthful Appearance) could easily have more adult usage, if Pathfinders was ever wanting to go in that direction.
  4. My favorite spell is the "Oppressive Boredom" spell. If you can cast that and follow that up with a sleep spell, I really would like it if the sleep spell could have some sort of +2 boost because of the Oppressive Boredom spell. The combo could be called something, "Boring Lecture Curse" or "Waiting at the DMV Curse."
  5. My only general criticism of the book is that I would have liked to see what the illustrations referred to relating to the text especially in the spells section because it was hard to tell sometimes.

Volaran

First Post
[MENTION=88067]Ampersand999[/MENTION]

Re: #2, I'm pretty sure that was the stated purpose of the Magus. It blends the professional warrior (fighter) with the prepared, Int-based caster (wizard, with hexcrafter veering a bit more towards the witch), and then gives them some interesting abilities all their own.

EUBanana

First Post
  1. The "Youthful Appearance" spell...I'm not sure why there needed to be such a spell. It's not like a bouncer is going to interrupt a party member and go, "Excuse me, ma'am...I'm going to need to see some ID please." In fact quite a few of the spells (Waves of Pleasure, Unnatural Lust, Youthful Appearance) could easily have more adult usage, if Pathfinders was ever wanting to go in that direction.

I thought it was for witches, who do seem to very much be about stereotypical witches - crones with cauldrons. It is indeed on the witch spell list.

So you can play a hideous old crone with green skin, one tooth and a nose wart (and thus get your int + wis + cha bonuses :p) yet still look young and not clear out the tavern when you show up with your friends. Plus witches get the protection from aging spells at mid levels, I was thinking a hideous old crone might be a laugh to play.

Unfortunately I find the witch class rather lacklustre in other regards!

Glade Riven

Adventurer
Ooo...golem upgrades. And there is one to make a fantasy power suit.

That's it. Any Pathfinder game I run, I am declaring Liber Mechanka's alternative magical item craft system as usable (which is actually slightly more expensive at lower levels, theoretically cheaper for higher level equipment, but you need to have your magic-making engine strapped to your back to power it). Warjack parts make for great golum upgrades.

Remove ads