• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ULTIMATE Secret Wars *CLOSED*

Kevin Perrine

First Post
THE U L T I M A T E marvel super heroes
S E C R E T W A R S

A mysterious omnipotent being calling itself the Beyonder, intrigued by humanity and the concept of good and evil, whisks away the world's most prominent heroes and their villainous counterparts to a world that would be their battle arena. On a strange planet created for the battle, the heroes must fight for their lives against a host of Earth’s most vile villains.
The destiny of the entire Earth will be decided in the Secret War!

CHARACTER ROSTER OPTIONS

ULTIMATES (Avengers)
- Captain America (Karl Green - READY TO GAME)
- Thor (Mimic - READY TO GAME)
- Hawkeye (DanMcS- READY TO GAME)
- Iron Man (Matt - CONFIRMED) NEED Stats
- Quicksilver* (Velmont - READY TO GAME)
- Namor*

FANTASTIC FOUR
- Mr. Fantastic (DocHazard - CONFIRMED, NEED Stats
- Thing (Simp_99 - READY TO GAME)
- Invisible Girl* (diocletianx - CONFIRMED) NEED Stats

X-MEN
- Nightcrawler (DocSpoon - READY TO GAME)
- Colossus (Bihlbo - READY TO GAME)
- Rogue (Radient - READY TO GAME)
- Wolverine (Keia - READY TO GAME)
- Jean Grey* (Angelina - READY TO GAME)
- Angel* (Mr Raven- READY TO GAME)
- Storm

SOLOS
- Spiderman (Dalamar - READY TO GAME)
- Hulk (Farik - READY TO GAME)
- Daredevil* (DralonXitz - READY TO GAME)

--------------------------------------------
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kperrine/images/ULTIMATE_SecretWars.html

Number of Heroes: approximately 25
Starting Power Level: varies from PL8-12 (ask GM)
Skill Ranks: Points Ratio - 2:1
Reply Privately at: kperrine[MENTION=13340]AI[/MENTION]i.edu

PLAYING THE GAME

Spots in the game are basically first come, first served, but with a few conditions.
You need to choose a higher profile Marvel Super Hero. Below is a list of approved character choices, if you have alternatives please contact me directly for approval.
Once you pick a character note it here and then write a short 3-4 sentence brief on how you plan to roleplay the character, this will give me an idea to know that you will be roleplaying the character close to their iconic style (I don’t want a bloodthirsty Spiderman running around).

In the very beginning, the Heroes will be in their normal environs SEPARATE – doing whatever they do (so other than those on similar teams like the FF or at the Avengers Mansion will be communicating with one another immediately), but that will change once the ball gets rolling. New York will be the basic starting ground, but if you see your Hero being out of town or elsewhere that will work for the opening set-up as well.

Once chosen
Please write a short Bio for your Hero with the following format…

HERO NAME:
QUOTE:
BASE OF OPERATIONS:
PERSONALITY:
BASIC POWERS & TACTICS:
BACKGROUND:

Power Level Limits will be determined by me once you send in the Hero you wish to play… You can then go about building the character as you wish. I will expect you to keep the basics of the Iconic Hero down (same with basic background) but feel free to “reimagine” minor things about Statistics as you think will be cool/fun for the Ultimate setting. For Example: our Ultimate Spidey might have his webbing be organic (like the movies) rather than Equipment.
I will approve or suggest changes on all final stats.
Finally, I don’t want characters posted here where everyone can see them.
Please email characters directly to me.
I prefer that everyone use “Simpson’s Mutants & Masterminds Character Builder”, it is an Excel program - but if you cannot use it for whatever reason write your Hero up in standard “Stat Block” similar to those shown in the M&M Core Book or Freedom City.
Questions about the game in general can be posted here or emailed to me.

RUNNING THE GAME

When action starts that requires us to go round-to-round, I’ll detail the situation as appropriate and post an initiative order.
Each player then posts his hero’s actions, making all relevant die rolls and including them as a “footer” in his post.
Once everyone has posted, I’ll cobble together the various posts into a round summary. Then, the process starts over again. This is pretty much a PBP standard.

There are, however, two problems with the standard.

1. By the time your hero’s turn comes up in the initiative order, your posted actions may be irrelevant or impossible.
2. Spending Hero Points becomes problematic.

Fortunately, these problems are not insurmountable.

1. You can post one alternate desired action. Think of this as an if-then situation. This means your may still bump into a situation where hero ends up with no possible action during a round, but these occurrences should be rather rare.
2. I won’t be making your damage saves for you. You roll your own damage save against the DC that I’ll provide. If you don’t like the result, spend a Hero Point and take appropriate action.

OTHER STUFF...

1. Put your characters name and or codename in the title of the post. This helps not only me but other players to remember who you are.

2. Character will roll all dice for their characters

3. “Quotes” for when your character speaks or is saying something.

4. Thoughts should be Italics. If you want to use different colors that’s fine, just so long as I can see them.

5. *Asterisks* for actions, and put the roll result, plus your skill/attack, etc. bonus and total for your result (*Spidey looks around, Spot 5 +10 =15*). If you want to spend a Hero Point in any case just put that in there also (*Spidey shots the big villain by the door, rolls a 1, spending a Hero point to re-roll I roll…*). This goes for Saves also. Remember that you can spend a Hero Point after you roll BUT before you know the result if you succeed or not. Remember it all about the trust. If you are attacking, please include the DC and type of attack that the target needs to make (*Spidey punches the big villain by the door, rolls a 12 +8 ranged attack bonus =20 DEF, if it hits, the villain takes +5L {with 1 level of Penetration} damage*).

6. Any OCC questions, etc. please put something like [OCC –question, can Spidey get a clear shot at the villain by the door?]

7. At times I will use [ spoiler ] posts for certain characters about certain information. I will tell the person who can read them, and he or she can react to that information.

8. In combat situation, at the top or the bottom of the post put how many Hero Points you have left and how main hits you have taken (Lethal and Stun) and any other conditions that you are under (Dazed, Fatigued, Drained, etc).

9. I will be using the Option: Knockback (M&M pg. 129).

10. No house rules. Until I'm more familiar with the PbeM game, I'm not prepared to change it.

Last edited:

DanMcS

Explorer
Oh, man, I finally spot a game in this forum I'm interesting in trying out, and I'm leaving on vacation in like 7 hours, for a week. I'm nowhere near my comics, either. Blast!

I would like to play Hawkeye. In the Ultimates, he's got this cool, competant secret agent vibe going on, and it's all a macho coverup for how terrified he is of all the crap going down around him, as evidenced by his frequent whining in the Ultimates that someone distracted him and got him shot. This character amuses me greatly.

Ultimate X-Men and the Ultimates are really the only comics I've ever read, so I don't know if there's some other background on Hawkeye that reveals superpowers or anything- in the Ultimates, he just seemed to be a darn skilled regular guy.

After tonight, I'm going to be away from the internet until probably July, so if that doesn't work for your planned start, then have fun and I'll catch the next game like this, or maybe run one myself. If that's cool, then I'll do the paperwork when I get back.

DocHazard

First Post
Well, I was gonna pick Hawkeye but I'll go with my 2nd choice in Reed Richards: The one and only MR FANTASTIC!! Playing ole' Big Brain should be fun!

Let me know the particulars, KP.

Kevin Perrine

First Post
DanMcS said:
Oh, man, I finally spot a game in this forum I'm interesting in trying out, and I'm leaving on vacation in like 7 hours, for a week. I'm nowhere near my comics, either. Blast!

I would like to play Hawkeye.
Ultimate X-Men and the Ultimates are really the only comics I've ever read, so I don't know if there's some other background on Hawkeye that reveals superpowers or anything- in the Ultimates, he just seemed to be a darn skilled regular guy.

After tonight, I'm going to be away from the internet until probably July, so if that doesn't work for your planned start, then have fun and I'll catch the next game like this, or maybe run one myself. If that's cool, then I'll do the paperwork when I get back.

Hey DanMcS!

a week shouldn't be a problem...
Honestly I'd like to get started immediately BUT in reality since the game will be so big and there are 25 spots to fill (for which I'll need to okay and then check characters) I don't see it starting for a week or so.

I hope everyone understands that, and hangs with this thread prior to starting.

for anyone interested I'm clipping your names to the characters you mention you'd like to play... even if you see one already marked, feel free to ask for it as a 2nd.
Why?

BECAUSE
the thing I NEED most from each player is a 3-4 paragraph on the character you want to play and HOW you'll be playing them.
(I want to make sure everyone has a sense and style of the iconic character, I don't want a bloodthirsty Spidey running around, etc...)

so... DanMcS - if you can tonight, write that quick paragraph on how you plan to play Hawkeye... assuming you're on mark (ie. you know the character well enough) you're all cool.

thanks
-kev-

Kevin Perrine

First Post
DocHazard said:
Well, I was gonna pick Hawkeye but I'll go with my 2nd choice in Reed Richards: The one and only MR FANTASTIC!! Playing ole' Big Brain should be fun!

Let me know the particulars, KP.

I'll drop you in for the 2nd player on Hawkeye, just in case.
I'm REALLY glad someone wants to play Mr. Fantastic, he's one of my favorites.

Now you just need the rest of your Four... heheh.. (I think Simpson want the Thing)

I'll edit and mark you on the first post for those characters...
-kev-

Bihlbo

Explorer
Bill's picks

My top 3 picks were Spider-Man, Captain America, and Thor. *sigh*
But, I LOVE Colossus! So I pick him.

HERO NAME:
Colossus
REAL NAME: [Is Identity Secret: Yes or No] Piotr Rasputin (yes)
QUOTE: (quotes are tough, I'll come up with one later)
BASE OF OPERATIONS: Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters (I think)
PERSONALITY: introspected, intense, serious, emotional, strong
BASIC POWERS & TACTICS: Can turn his body into living metal, becoming amazingly strong and tough. He generally just hits things, or throws other people at the bad guys.
BACKGROUND: Piotr was recruited into the X-Men by Xavier himself, as one of the founding members of the team. Piotr was reluctant to leave his family and his country, but knew that he would serve a much greater good serving Xavier, who he regards as a hero and mentor. Colossus was somewhat responsible for Xavier's paralyzed state when during Magneto's first attack against Xavier and his team, Magneto magnetically controlled Colossus's body, forcing him to strike Xavier with enough force that Charles never walked again.
Believing he had killed Xavier, Colossus then left the team for a few weeks by walking along the ocean floor in a deep, murky depression of the soul. Namor and the Atlanteans found Colossus, and believing him to be the physical embodiment of the Colossus of Rhodes, took him in and treated him with honor.
Once it became known to Colossus that Namor was working closely with Magneto to coordinate the Atlantean's attack on New York City, Colossus knew that he was not among friends. On the journey to the invasion, Colossus saved Namor from death during an attempted coup, earning him the honor of leading the charge. Colossus instead used his new authority to protect the people of the city, and once there, rejoined with the X-Men.
Once he learned of Xavier's condition, Colossus returned with the team and begged his mentor's forgiveness. When Charles gently forgave Colossus, it was the first time since the incident that Piotr returned to his more human form.
Now a long-standing member of the team, Colossus is considered by some to be the soul of the team and an anchor when things get turbulent, emotionally. His experiences have made him one of the most reliable members of the team and few others are as "X" as he.

Kevin Perrine

First Post
Bihlbo said:
My top 3 picks were Spider-Man, Captain America, and Thor. *sigh*
But, I LOVE Colossus! So I pick him.

ROCK ON!!
This is awesome... great job.
You OFFICIALLY have Colossus.

PS...
It's perfectly fine for EVERYONE to post a note like this about their character choice to get confirmation for playing them. I WILL be handling Stats and Power Levels behind the scenes.
I'll be sending Bihlbo the PL for Colossus, that he can then use to stat him up and send to me privately. At: kperrine@aii.edu

However, I know that Karl Green has not officially chosen one of HIS two choices (Cap and Thor) and nobody else has them in second... So if you want I'll drop you in for a second on them and you can have the one Mr. Green doesn't choose.

thanks
-kev-

Kevin Perrine

First Post
Bihlbo said:

HERO NAME:
Colossus
REAL NAME: [Is Identity Secret: Yes or No] Piotr Rasputin (yes)

Note for everyone...
You'll notice that Bihlbo didn't use the exact history of the PUBLISHED Ultimated setting....
That's OKAY with me.
As long as you're in the spirit of the character you can choose to use the actual Ultimate Chronology or not.

Since our Secret War is outside the normal chronology of the Ultimate setting (on Battle Planet) those details are for color in roleplaying more than actively using them.

thanks
-kev-

Bihlbo

Explorer
Couple more things:

Colossus is bronze, not silver
Matt said "That sounds fun, I'd like to play the Human Torch" so look for his post.
Kev, you want us to play more than one character? Or does it matter?

Remove ads