• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ultimate self-sufficiant char.

prospero63

First Post
I'm curious as to why folks are saying Druid? My experience with druids is that they tend to get crushed in combat and their animal companions can rarely keep up. Based on the responses though, either I'm clearly missing something or have just never seen an effective druid played.

Anyone care to shed some light?

Klaus

First Post
prospero63 said:
I'm curious as to why folks are saying Druid? My experience with druids is that they tend to get crushed in combat and their animal companions can rarely keep up. Based on the responses though, either I'm clearly missing something or have just never seen an effective druid played.

A wildshaped druid using Natural Spell and sharing things like Animal Growth with his animal companion (and possibly some more summoned animals) is a sight to behold.

Slife

First Post
prospero63 said:

Basically, if done right (take natural spell), a druid with a decent animal companion is as effective as two other characters. The dudes who spend way too much time on this sort of thing* have come to a consensus that the druid is one of the three most powerful character classes in a game without supplements, and still in the top five if everything is allowed.

To quote the druid handbook:
"In core, the druid is one of the front-runners for most powerful class, and the vast, vast majority of players will want to take all 20 levels. Druids are full casters drawing from a versatile spell list, can Wild Shape into any number of combat forms, get a handful of handy class abilities, and even have a decent skill list (and the skill points to use it).

Druids also benefit disproportionately from the addition of new material beyond core, as they benefit from the addition of monsters as well as the addition of the usual spells, feats, and prestige classes. (One would even say they benefit more from the addition of monsters; few prestige classes work well with druids, and they have relatively few feat slots.)"

*The WotC character optimization forums.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
prospero63 said:
This.

Effectively playing a Druid to full power requires:

1/ Mastering a spell list full of highly situational spells (rusting grasp and quench, for example, or tree stride vs. wind walk rather than teleport).

2/ Mastering the strengths and weaknesses of EVERY ANIMAL EVER to get the most out of Wild Shape and your animal companion.

2b/ Keeping up with the monthly changes to how Polymorph works.

3/ Figuring out some subtle magic item synergy. Clerics just cast word of recall; Druids instead use a Feather Token (tree) + tree stride.

Cheers, -- N

Darklone

prospero63 said:
Nifft seconded.

MadWand

First Post
I'll have to agree with druid. By far my most self-sufficient character was a Barbarian 1/Druid 6/Nature's Warrior 2. There just wasn't anything he couldn't do. He gradually made the rest of the party obsolete, without me particularly trying. In fact, I was holding back quite a bit. He could be sneaky, diplomacy is a class skill for druids, his spells could cover almost any situation, he could do battlefield control, and his damage output was obscene -- more than the rest of the party combined. Most of all, what was nice was that he could often approach battles on his own terms. His incredible senses (high spot, listen, survival, spells) allowed him to detect ambushes and choose whether to run or counter-ambush. He could run at an incredible speed (deionychus form) and if he did choose to fight, very little could survive a charge attack.

If you want to learn about how this is possible, read the Optimization Forums:
http://forums.gleemax.com/forumdisplay.php?f=339

It will take quite a bit of studying to learn how to get the most out of a druid, but it does pay off. If you want something simpler, a cleric factotum might work ok. A ranger or swift hunter build would also be very self-sufficent in the "surviving the wilderness" sense.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads