Unanswered Questions, Wild Theories and Strange Observations for/about/on BSG.

Joker

First Post
The new Battlestar Galactica series is...complex. It is filled with concurrently running story-lines, goes off in tangents which leave us hanging, answers questions and raises many more. And for me at least, it keeps we wondering and theorizing.

So let's make this a thread where we can bring up and discuss our "what if's" and strange theories, our unanswered questions and general comments.

If instead you want to hurt my feelings and have me cry in some lonely corner, by all means let this thread drop into oblivion.

I should note however that Gawd himself approves of Battlestar Galactica and ipso facto of this thread that I have created because he too wonders if He is the one the Cylons believe in. 'Divine Digits' crossed.

So let me start off with the geekness:

-Who here thinks that the remaining Cylon models are something different than normally human-like? Perhaps no Cylon has actually seen them, that they are metaphores or some bedtime story or even some gods of the Greek Pantheon.

-Does anyone with more knowledge of Greek/Roman myths and legends see parallels between them and the series or characters?

-Is that kid that Boomer brought with her from Caprica a Cylon? Regardless of the answer to the previous question, where is his awkwardly walking robotic dog?

That's it for now. Take it away.

Joker said:
The new Battlestar Galactica series is...complex. It is filled with concurrently running story-lines, goes off in tangents which leave us hanging, answers questions and raises many more. And for me at least, it keeps we wondering and theorizing.

So let's make this a thread where we can bring up and discuss our "what if's" and strange theories, our unanswered questions and general comments.

If instead you want to hurt my feelings and have me cry in some lonely corner, by all means let this thread drop into oblivion.

I should note however that Gawd himself approves of Battlestar Galactica and ipso facto of this thread that I have created because he too wonders if He is the one the Cylons believe in. 'Divine Digits' crossed.

So let me start off with the geekness:

-Who here thinks that the remaining Cylon models are something different than normally human-like? Perhaps no Cylon has actually seen them, that they are metaphores or some bedtime story or even some gods of the Greek Pantheon.
I think they are humanoid Cylons, since it was indicated in the series and pointed out by the writers that the non-humanoid Cylons do not count against the 12 Cylons. (Even the Hybrid isn't one of them, as far as I know)

-Does anyone with more knowledge of Greek/Roman myths and legends see parallels between them and the series or characters?

-Is that kid that Boomer brought with her from Caprica a Cylon? Regardless of the answer to the previous question, where is his awkwardly walking robotic dog?

That's it for now. Take it away.
I think the kid is/was just a kid, and, as Moore put it, he died an ugly door on the cutting floor, and I guess we won't see him again. (And there will be no robotic dog - though they at least had a dog on New Caprica :) )

Let me add some question:
Who is the Chosen One? My guess is Baltar, but as at least someone else has pointed out (in another thread, maybe even another forum :) ), Tyrol might be a possiblity, too.

Who is Hera, and what does her existance mean in context of the shwo? Is she a part of the prophecies (yet to uncover?).

What are Leobens grand plans for Starbuck? Does he just want her love, or does he want more? Will they reunite?

Who are the Phantom Sixes and Baltars? This is a long open question, and it might stay that way for the rest of the series. But is it possible they are really Angels (or Devils?) If so, are they send by the Cylon god or by the 12 Lords of Kobols? Is it possible that the 12 Lords of Kobol and the Cylon God are actually part of one pantheon, and that Earth is the only other place where he is still revered? (Which might explain why the Cylons want to get there)

dravot

First Post
What I don't get about the 12 cylon models, and the unseen 5:

Model 3: Deanna/Xena Cylon Princess
Model 5: Doral
Model 6: Caprica
Model 8: Boomer

Plus there's Leoben, Brother Cavil and Simon.

I would have figured that the missing 5 of 12 would be either models 1-5 or models 8-12, but from the given distribution, the missing 5 will be scattered throughout. The most obvious meta-explanation is that they handed out the model numbers before they settled on the concept of the mysterious 5, but I'm dying to find out if there's an interesting in-story explanation.

dravot said:
What I don't get about the 12 cylon models, and the unseen 5:

Model 3: Deanna/Xena Cylon Princess
Model 5: Doral
Model 6: Caprica
Model 8: Boomer

Plus there's Leoben, Brother Cavil and Simon.

I would have figured that the missing 5 of 12 would be either models 1-5 or models 8-12, but from the given distribution, the missing 5 will be scattered throughout. The most obvious meta-explanation is that they handed out the model numbers before they settled on the concept of the mysterious 5, but I'm dying to find out if there's an interesting in-story explanation.
Maybe they built the 12 models, put their numbers according to their development/build time, and whatever happened to make them special was random enough to not depend on their "ages". Maybe they were selected by the cylon god, or the shared a random defect that made them special. (A theory just occuring to me: Maybe they can't download, and that's why we never see them - no possiblity of creating a safe copy means no time at the front-lines)

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
So there are twelve (plus one) colonies, twelve astrological signs, twelve cylon models.

As to the pantheons, there are varying numbers of them depending upon what criteria one sets. However, the Greek and Roman pantheons match up more or less as Aphrodite/Venus, Apollo/Phoebus or Apollo, Ares/Mars, Artemis/Diana, Athena/Minerva, Demeter/Ceres, Dionysus/Bacchus, Hades/Pluto, Hephaestus/Vulcan, Hera/Juno, Hestia/Vesta, Hermes/Mercury, Persephone/Proserpina or Proserpine, Posideon/Neptune, and Zeus/Jupiter. Some of these are a bit of a shoehorn job while others are direct matches.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mark CMG said:
So there are twelve (plus one) colonies, twelve astrological signs, twelve cylon models.

And remember that the original BSG had a hefty dash of Mormon mythology in it, and that's based on the Judeo-Christian tradition - there were twelve tribes of Israel, corresponding to the sons of Jacob.

Mark CMG said:
Actually, each of those has twelve, plus a hidden one.

The twelve colonies of Kobol, plus Earth

The twelve constellations of the zodiac, plus Ophiuchus, the only constellation of the zodiac which does not have an astrological sign. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiuchus)

The twelve humanoid cylon models, plus the Hybrid.

So, I'm wondering about the twelve Lords of Kobol, plus the thirteenth, (http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/episodes/season01/112/mov/bsg_del_112_regret.mov), a scene cut from Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part I (but put up for download) said that the cataclysm on Kobol began when one God wished to be elevated above all others. (My pet theory is this is the origin of the Cylon god, accounting for how they are apparently tied together but one claims to be the only true god, and the other side has the story of one god wishing to be elevated above all others)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
wingsandsword said:
(My pet theory is this is the origin of the Cylon god, accounting for how they are apparently tied together but one claims to be the only true god, and the other side has the story of one god wishing to be elevated above all others)

This would be reasonably in line with the original BSG take on the Cylons, who had an encounter with a "fallen angel"...

Wormwood

Adventurer
Umbran said:
And remember that the original BSG had a hefty dash of Mormon mythology in it, and that's based on the Judeo-Christian tradition - there were twelve tribes of Israel, corresponding to the sons of Jacob.

Cylons were born as slaves.
They escaped their captivity and wandered for (exactly) 40 years in the wilderness.
Sustained by their faith in the One True God.

Interesting.

Remove ads