• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unarmed Combat

What are you using for unarmed combat rules in your OD&D, Classic D&D, or AD&D game?

I know of the following:

• The unarmed "overbear" example from the D&D FAQ in The Strategic Review Vol. 1, No. 2
  • "Brawling: the easy way 'out' in D&D" (Dragon No. 11)
  • "How to Finish Fights Faster" (Dragon No. 83)
  • 1E Unarmed Combat Rules from the Dungeon Masters Guide
  • 1E Weaponless Combat Rules from Unearthed Arcana

Of those, I like the first and the last best, I think. I'm not sure, though. I'm more concerned about a good way for handling grappling and overbearing, and less concerned about punching/kicking (which is similar enough to regular combat that the standard system can handle it). I want something relatively simple that can handle multiple participants without completely throwing logic out the window. Is there such a beast?

Edited to add:

Last edited:

T. Foster

First Post
For AD&D I really like System II in UA (System I is a little too streamlined IMO), but for OD&D I think it's probably too complicated. I remember once upon a time extrapolating a full system out of the example included in the SR#2 Combat Example, but I don't remember what happened to it (a quick scan throught eh OD&D section at K&KA didn't turn it up, so either it was done at another site (DF? The Grognard's Tavern?) or it's well-buried as an off-topic post in some other thread...

I've never seen the article from TD11 -- is that system any good?

Also, if you want the list of possibilities to be complete, you should add the wrestling rules from the D&D Companion Set.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
In the past, I've seen two methods used:

1. A "to hit" roll to execute a grapple with a subsequent STR check every round by both the grappled and the grappler, with control going to whoever rolled lower.

2. My old AD&D 1e DM used a "high or low" roll on a d20 to resolve things like this (well, many other things, as well, actually). Basically, you called high or low and rolled a d20. If it rolled in yoru favor, things went your way. If you rolled the other end of the spectrum, things didn't go your way. You probably want more detail than that. For our group, however, it worked great.

T. Foster

First Post
WSmith said:
Foster, was this the thread? Granted, it came from the AD&D section, but the intent is the same.

http://www.knights-n-knaves.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=202
Yup, that's the one. Thanks for the link. I would never have thought to look for it on the "other game" forum ;)

IMO a requirement for an unarmed combat system (and why I like the UA System II and SR2 semi-system) is that it allow a crowd of mooks to dogpile a tougher character and drag him down. That, plus allow characters to get into tavern-brawls without killing each other. The simplest possible system that accomplishes both of those is the ideal.

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
We used to use How to Finish Fights Faster from Dragon 83 for 1e and 2e. We use the main rules for our 3.5 games. Got to see a monk grapple a flying wyvern and drive it into the ground by getting a hold on its wings. Good fun, that.

T. Foster said:
I've never seen the article from TD11 -- is that system any good?
I haven't fully digested it, yet, but my initial skimming gave me the impression that it is mainly for one-on-one fights, which isn't what I'm after.

Also, if you want the list of possibilities to be complete, you should add the wrestling rules from the D&D Companion Set.
Good catch. C&C has its own set of unarmed combat rules, too.

T. Foster said:
IMO a requirement for an unarmed combat system (and why I like the UA System II and SR2 semi-system) is that it allow a crowd of mooks to dogpile a tougher character and drag him down.
This is the main thing I'm after, actually (probably why I mentioned favoring those two systems, too). Also, I don't think armor should make you harder to take down or wrestle.

Remove ads