• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Uncanny Dodge vs FIREBALL

maritimo80

First Post
The Uncanny Dodge Ability of ROGUE and RANGER works against FIREBALL for example?

The Ability speech ATTACK. Fireball is considered an attack?

Uncanny Dodge
Starting at 5th level, when an attacker that you can see hits you with an attack, you can use your reaction to halve the attack’s damage against you.

keterys

First Post
Fireball does not involve "hitting" anything, no. That requires an attack roll.

It does work on scorching ray or ray of frost or any of the other spells that roll an attack roll though.

pukunui

Legend
Uncanny Dodge is for when you get hit by an attack that involves an attack roll.

Evasion is for when you take damage from something that involves a saving throw (such as a fireball).

tragicjones

First Post
in this edition the word attack is not clearly defined. that means it is a DMs judgment call... I keep being told that's a feature

As far as I can tell, the rules are quite clear - see PHB pp. 193-4, particularly this part: "If there's ever any question whether something you're doing counts as an attack, the rule is simple: if you're making an attack roll, you're making an attack."

Ravenheart87

Explorer
The rules are pretty clear about differentiating ability checks, saving throws, attacks rolls. If there's no attack roll, it's not an attack - plain and simple.

As far as I can tell, the rules are quite clear - see PHB pp. 193-4, particularly this part: "If there's ever any question whether something you're doing counts as an attack, the rule is simple: if you're making an attack roll, you're making an attack."

so if I throw a fireball at your PC, I'm not attacking him???

Remove ads