Uncertain about composite functions.

Kaledor

First Post
I hate writing out complicated rational equations in in-line text. Switching to the exponential notation was a quick method of trying to simplify it a bit.

I have posted math texts on a different messageboard and it was such a shock to use "in-line text" for the first time --it seems like such a struggle to describe what should be an easy problem... there's ()'s everywhere, exponents in the wrong spot, you miss a fraction bar and it's destroyed... ugg. Something like Addition of rational functions, that's a pure beast in-line. lol You take for granted how nice and easy it is to write out math problems on paper.

That said, you want a real challenge: Try reading math and science texts out loud for tape lol. Back in my undergrad (before computers had fancy and reliable Optical Character Recognition software) I helped out translating textbooks to audio tapes for visually and reading impared students (long story that started with a girl that hooked me in :)). Now THAT was some tough stuff. It made it a bit easier when you knew what you were reading, but every so often I'd hit technical print that I'd have to just describe...
"The formula starts with a... a... a squiggle, kinda J-shaped, maybe a q? yeah... ummm, followed by a little (I think it's a smiley face)...."

I can only imagine what the person listening to this must've thought. I HOPE they had another reference in those days.

Last edited:

Remove ads