• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

unconscious and immobilized?

bfreakb999

First Post
A creature/character is hit with an attack that brings him/her to 0 hitpoints or knocks him unconscious. (such as sleep) If an attack goes off against that creature/character that does more damage if it is immobilized, does being unconscious ALSO mean that creature is immobilized? This actually game up today in a game with Githyanki Warriors.

Eldorian

First Post
A creature/character is hit with an attack that brings him/her to 0 hitpoints or knocks him unconscious. (such as sleep) If an attack goes off against that creature/character that does more damage if it is immobilized, does being unconscious ALSO mean that creature is immobilized? This actually game up today in a game with Githyanki Warriors.

Technically, I think the answer is no. If you're unconscious, you're effectively immobilized because you cannot take actions, but I don't think you suffer the effect "immobilized". When unconscious, you are helpless and prone, two other conditions on the table. However, I'd go ahead and let the power do whatever extra it does verses immobilized, because the target IS immobile. You do, however, perform a coup de grace every time you attack a helpless foe.

Starglim

Explorer

Typically - and specifically for githyanki warriors - you become immobilised if you are grabbed or stuck in place, so sometimes powers that rely on you being caught by another of the creature's attacks use immobilised as their trigger. Being unconscious is not necessarily the same as being grabbed or stuck. If the ability works when the target is unconscious it will say so. Compare the ghoul's bite ability, for example.

As Eldorian said, the enemy can certainly use coup de grace on the unconscious creature instead.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads