• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unconscious, Dying and your options

rvalle

First Post
We had our first 4th Ed game last night (via Fantasy Grounds with my 2 players who DIDN'T go to Gencon) and we had 1 major rule question that came up.

I think these are the options you have when go you below 0:

1. Roll your Death Save and hope to roll a 20.

2. Have a Cleric cast a Heal type prayer on you.

3. Have a Leader type hit you with an Inspiring Word triggering your 2nd Wind and a healing surge (assuming you haven't used the first and still have some of the second) bringing you to 0 + your surge number of HP's.

4. If you ARE the groups only Leader (as happened last night) you need to hope someone with a Heal skill can make a DC 10 skill check to trigger your 2nd Wind and a healing surge (again assuming you have both).

5. If you don't have your 2nd Wind left you need to hope that same character above can make a DC 15 Heal skill check to stabilize you.

6. I think there is something about if you are granted a heal surge but have none left you are brought to 1 HP.

Is that right? We were not sure how surges ect worked on the Warlord while he was down.

Thanks,

rv

Tellerve

We had our first 4th Ed game last night (via Fantasy Grounds with my 2 players who DIDN'T go to Gencon) and we had 1 major rule question that came up.

I think these are the options you have when go you below 0:

1. Roll your Death Save and hope to roll a 20.

2. Have a Cleric cast a Heal type prayer on you.

3. Have a Leader type hit you with an Inspiring Word triggering your 2nd Wind and a healing surge (assuming you haven't used the first and still have some of the second) bringing you to 0 + your surge number of HP's.

4. If you ARE the groups only Leader (as happened last night) you need to hope someone with a Heal skill can make a DC 10 skill check to trigger your 2nd Wind and a healing surge (again assuming you have both).

5. If you don't have your 2nd Wind left you need to hope that same character above can make a DC 15 Heal skill check to stabilize you.

6. I think there is something about if you are granted a heal surge but have none left you are brought to 1 HP.

Is that right? We were not sure how surges ect worked on the Warlord while he was down.

Thanks,

rv

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4 and 5. I dunno, I don't think you can trigger an unconscious persons second wind. And even if you could, that seems pretty cheesy that you could do that instead of the much more correct stabilize the dying character dc 15. Up to you though, as it does say they don't have to spend an action, which they don't have as they are unconscious, but doesn't feel right. If I squint my imagination I guess they were slapping you awake with words of tough love, "Don't you die on me! You said you'd be there!" And then the unconscious persons spews some blood and his eyes flutter open. Wow, I think I just sold myself, huh.
6. Yes, correct

Tellerve

Ganadai

First Post

Inspiring word doesn't use your second wind, just a healing surge.

BeauNiddle

First Post
That sounds about right.

For 1 note that it's 20 or better (since it's a save bonuses count on the roll)

For 3: Does healing word require second wind - I thought it just activated a surge directly. I could be wrong tho (no books)

For 6 - yeah if you're on your last fight of the day and have no healing surges then people can bring you back to 1 hp with appropriate abilities.

Also note that over time most classes get access to exploits / prayers / spells(?) that allow people to use healing surges but at low level you need those leaders around!

Caliber

Explorer
It's my understanding that using an unconscious character's Second Wind to revive them is totally legit. If they've already used it, you can stabilize them or pour a potion on them if you don't have a Leader available.

I'm not sure if it's backed up by the rules, but I'd say an unconscious character (that was stabilized!) could use Healing Surges to revive himself after 5 minutes (effectively having taken a Short Rest while unconscious). If they were out of Healing Surges, I'd let them come back up at full after an Extended Rest.

rvalle

First Post
If I squint my imagination I guess they were slapping you awake with words of tough love, "Don't you die on me! You said you'd be there!" And then the unconscious persons spews some blood and his eyes flutter open. Wow, I think I just sold myself, huh.
Tellerve

LOL Too funny.

Thanks for the answer. Lets see what anyone else says.

BTW, I let them do it last night as I wasn't sure and it seemed to follow the more casual 'let them have fun' vibe of 4.0.

rv

rvalle

First Post
It's my understanding that using an unconscious character's Second Wind to revive them is totally legit. If they've already used it, you can stabilize them or pour a potion on them if you don't have a Leader available.

I'm not sure if it's backed up by the rules, but I'd say an unconscious character (that was stabilized!) could use Healing Surges to revive himself after 5 minutes (effectively having taken a Short Rest while unconscious). If they were out of Healing Surges, I'd let them come back up at full after an Extended Rest.

Thanks.

Yes, I had that thought about spending the surges after the fight and was going to allow it. If nothing else it would have kept the game moving along.

rv

MrBeens

First Post
You had most of it right - if you are below 0 HP here are your options

1) At the end of your turn roll a save.
If you get 20 or more you use a healing surge and regain that amount of HP - you are then conscious but prone
If you get 10 - 19 nothing happens
If you get 9 or below then you check off a death save fail - if it is the 3rd since you last had a rest then you die

2) Wait for someone to heal you with ANY healing power or spell or item. There is no difference between cleric healing and warlord healing
Regain that amount of HP - you are then concious but prone

3) Wait for some one to use the healing skill on you
If you have not used your second wind it is a DC 10 check - if they pass you use your second wind - regain that amount of HP - you are then conscious but prone
If you have used your second wind then it is a DC15 check - if they pass you are stabilised. You are unconcious and prone but make no more saving throws.

4) Wait to be damaged some more - if you get to negative your bloodied value you die.

If you get any healing you are healed from 0, even if you were at negative hit points.

If you get healed your failed saving throws don't reset until you have a rest (short or extended) - so watch out if you go down more than once in a fight.

If all the monsters are killed it is not the end of the encounter until all downed people are healed or stabilized.
Once the encounter has ended other characters should be able to heal you somewhat, then when you are conscious you can spend healing surges or use other healing powers to heal your hitpoints.

That is it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads