Spelljammer Unconverted Spelljammer creatures

Cleon

Legend
Okay, I've looked at these two a little more closely, and they do seem similar, except that the CotSQ version is bigger and a lot meaner than its Spelljamming sibling. There isn't anything specific about Umber Hulks in the description, but they do have a bite that instantly turns the victim to stone, so I can see why they'd make an Umber Hulk (or anyone else) nervous.

If these are converted, the CotSQ version can probably just be downgraded from a 24HD CR14 Gargantuan construct to something less powerful.

That seems different enough for them to be separate monsters.

Of course, that means we'll need a different name for the Spelljammer version.

Jade Space Spiders?

Cleon

Legend
Yep. Or "Nephrite Arachnids". ;)

Well, I can't help thinking if it's a Spelljammer monster it ought to have "Space" in its name.

So many of them do... ;)

Also, while I like the word Nephrite, how do you know they can't be made from Jadeite?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Well, I can't help thinking if it's a Spelljammer monster it ought to have "Space" in its name.

So many of them do... ;)

Also, while I like the word Nephrite, how do you know they can't be made from Jadeite?

Because the Deadites told me so. :)

Big Mac

Explorer
Please excuse the thread necromancy, but I think this might be the same creature as the Jade Spider in City of the Spider Queen (2002).

...and...

If they are the same, then we don't need to do a conversion.

Does it have anything about Umber Hulk's being especially susceptibility to their venom?

Okay, I've looked at these two a little more closely, and they do seem similar, except that the CotSQ version is bigger and a lot meaner than its Spelljamming sibling. There isn't anything specific about Umber Hulks in the description, but they do have a bite that instantly turns the victim to stone, so I can see why they'd make an Umber Hulk (or anyone else) nervous.

I've not got City of the Spider Queen, but it sounds like it might be a reboot of an old 2e concept (with the SJ elements being removed).

If these are converted, the CotSQ version can probably just be downgraded from a 24HD CR14 Gargantuan construct to something less powerful.

I would suggest a drop to 6HD and (probably) the removal of any special attacks that are not implied by War Captain's Companion.

The description of the (drow) Radiant Spelljamming Helm (War Captain's Guide page 81) says that drow ships carry a "cyst-like ore found in the cavernous realms of the Underdark" and that this ore gives off radiation that helps to power the helm (and also stops drow weapons from loosing their powers in Wildspace).

Perhaps the Jade Spider from Wildspace could partly be made from the cyst-like ore. Perhaps that ore could be something that Umber Hulks are allergic too. I'm not sure what the power levels should be like, but for something that targets a single monster, I think it might be possible for it to be fairly powerful.

Spacefaring drow use Umber Hulks to power Lifejammer helms, so they probably do not want to kill them. Turning Umber Hulks into stone would definitely not fit in with the SJ monster.

That seems different enough for them to be separate monsters.

Of course, that means we'll need a different name for the Spelljammer version.

War Captain's Companion was published in 1992. Can't we ask WotC to rename their Jade Spider instead? :p

Jade Space Spiders?

Given that spacefaring drow call them Jade Spiders and also call two types of ships Jade Spiders (the larger ship is called a Jade Spider Commandship), I think that the name shouldn't be split up.

So many of them do... ;)

Space works for me. You are right, but I think it works best as a prefix to the rest of the name.

Perhaps Space Jade Spiders would work as a name (with the description saying that in space they often get called Jade Spiders, because the other type of Jade Spider is not common there).

Maybe Nephrite or Jadeite could be used to create Jade Spiders (or Space Jade Spiders). Or maybe the WotC Jade Spider could be created from one type of jade and the TSR Jade Spider could be made from the other type of jade.

At the risk of annoying the Deadites, I'm hoping that the Space Jade Spider could be made from Jadeite rather than Nephrite, as Jadeite has a Mezo-American spin to it, that I might be able to use to inspire the Maztica Alive guy* to create a hidden drow spelljamming port in Maztica! Muhahahah! :devil:

* I hope you have all seen the beautiful Monsters of the True World netbook that the Maztica guy (Seethyr) has made. Here is a link to that netbook and some other Maztica freebies. With the epic project you have here finally starting to "finish" the monsters for campaign settings that WotC "abandoned" I'm hoping to see every set of converted monsters find a home in a netbook.

If the larger CotSQ Jade Spider could be made from Nephrite, then it could fit in with Faerun being closer to the Kara-Tur region (which I think fits in better with China, where the real world has a source of Nephrite). :angel:

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
I would suggest a drop to 6HD and (probably) the removal of any special attacks that are not implied by War Captain's Companion.

The description of the (drow) Radiant Spelljamming Helm (War Captain's Guide page 81) says that drow ships carry a "cyst-like ore found in the cavernous realms of the Underdark" and that this ore gives off radiation that helps to power the helm (and also stops drow weapons from loosing their powers in Wildspace).

Perhaps the Jade Spider from Wildspace could partly be made from the cyst-like ore. Perhaps that ore could be something that Umber Hulks are allergic too. I'm not sure what the power levels should be like, but for something that targets a single monster, I think it might be possible for it to be fairly powerful.

That seems unlikely, since Umber Hulks are themselves subterranean creatures from the Underdark, and if I remember my sources aright they can be found as slaves and servants in the drow's cyst-irradiated caverns.

I'd think it more likely that the Jade Spiders are one of the drow magic items reliant on this "cyst radiation", so if they're seperated from a cyst for long they become inanimate. It's possible they also crumble to rust and rotten scraps of stone if they're exposed to sunlight after a long enough period away from cyst-radiation, like drow weapons and armour do is modules D1-D3.

Spacefaring drow use Umber Hulks to power Lifejammer helms, so they probably do not want to kill them. Turning Umber Hulks into stone would definitely not fit in with the SJ monster.

Well "violently allergic" suggests an unpleasant reaction, possibly Con damage with an increased DC.

War Captain's Companion was published in 1992. Can't we ask WotC to rename their Jade Spider instead? :p

Well you could ask, but I suspect they'd say no. :(

;)

Given that spacefaring drow call them Jade Spiders and also call two types of ships Jade Spiders (the larger ship is called a Jade Spider Commandship), I think that the name shouldn't be split up.

Space works for me. You are right, but I think it works best as a prefix to the rest of the name.

Perhaps Space Jade Spiders would work as a name (with the description saying that in space they often get called Jade Spiders, because the other type of Jade Spider is not common there).

Well "Space Jade Spider" sounds to me that the Jade they're made from comes from space, rather than that they're spider golems that normally operate in space.

Hmm, how about calling them Jade Spidergolems?

Maybe Nephrite or Jadeite could be used to create Jade Spiders (or Space Jade Spiders). Or maybe the WotC Jade Spider could be created from one type of jade and the TSR Jade Spider could be made from the other type of jade.

At the risk of annoying the Deadites, I'm hoping that the Space Jade Spider could be made from Jadeite rather than Nephrite, as Jadeite has a Mezo-American spin to it, that I might be able to use to inspire the Maztica Alive guy* to create a hidden drow spelljamming port in Maztica! Muhahahah! :devil:

* I hope you have all seen the beautiful Monsters of the True World netbook that the Maztica guy (Seethyr) has made. Here is a link to that netbook and some other Maztica freebies. With the epic project you have here finally starting to "finish" the monsters for campaign settings that WotC "abandoned" I'm hoping to see every set of converted monsters find a home in a netbook.

If the larger CotSQ Jade Spider could be made from Nephrite, then it could fit in with Faerun being closer to the Kara-Tur region (which I think fits in better with China, where the real world has a source of Nephrite). :angel:

I don't think it makes any difference. To be honest, I doubt many beings in the AD&D universe would know (or bother) that there's two types of Jade, or be able to tell them apart. I certainly couldn't tell them apart if someone stuck a lump of each material in front of me.

Remove ads