• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Undead and Class HD question

Ragmon

Explorer
Quick question guys:

So lets say I am a level human/wizard 4 then gain an undead template would I re-roll my 4d4 HP to 4d12 HP? or would the class HP stay?

Cyclone_Joker

First Post
SRD said:
Size and TypeThe creature’s type changes to undead. Do not recalculate base attack bonus, saves, or skill points. Size is unchanged.

Hit Dice

Increase all current and future Hit Dice to d12s.
Emphasis mine.

When something changes, you recalculate unless it explicitly tells you not to. Since HD changed, you recalculate HP. Although I am curious as to what template you'd gain at level 4.

Also, although it's not exactly on topic, if you're doing this, remember to be in a Desecrated area. Also, if someone else is turning you undead, you should try to make sure they're a Dread Necro with the Corpsecrafter line. Just some advice.

Ragmon

Explorer
Emphasis mine.

When something changes, you recalculate unless it explicitly tells you not to. Since HD changed, you recalculate HP. Although I am curious as to what template you'd gain at level 4.

Also, although it's not exactly on topic, if you're doing this, remember to be in a Desecrated area. Also, if someone else is turning you undead, you should try to make sure they're a Dread Necro with the Corpsecrafter line. Just some advice.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Ah thanks. Question answered.

Game type, very free-form Undead Gestalt campaign, level 4, free 4 level adjustments and max 4 templates (undead stuff only). Basically ECL 4.

Scorpio616

First Post
Quick question guys:

So lets say I am a level human/wizard 4 then gain an undead template would I re-roll my 4d4 HP to 4d12 HP? or would the class HP stay?
What template? The template will tell you what to do. Lich and Vampire will improve your HD, some might not.

The template will tell you if you change your HD, yes. Lich and vampire are already noted, but I'm guessing you're going for Necropolitan? If tht's the case then you do change your HD to d12 as per the rules, and the example necropolitan wizard does indeed have d12 HD despite being a 5th level wizard.

Ragmon

Explorer
The template will tell you if you change your HD, yes. Lich and vampire are already noted, but I'm guessing you're going for Necropolitan? If tht's the case then you do change your HD to d12 as per the rules, and the example necropolitan wizard does indeed have d12 HD despite being a 5th level wizard.

Nah, I'm playing a sentiente (house rules, got has normal int ans cha) skeleton + 4 stacks of evolved undead + Factotum/Binder. No real thought went into the character. The HD thing just made me wonder.

Empirate

First Post
Note also that your Constitution score changes to " - ". That means you get no Con modifier, positive or negative, to your HP (or to your Fort save, for that matter).

Cyclone_Joker

First Post
Note also that your Constitution score changes to " - ". That means you get no Con modifier, positive or negative, to your HP
Which is why, at the minimum, a desecration is vital for an undead PC.
(or to your Fort save, for that matter).
Good catch, I forgot to mention this.

OP: Get a Ring of the Diamond Mind maneuver Mind over Body. It's relatively cheap and will let you, as an immediate action, roll Concentration instead of a Fort Save. It's a good deal on most casters, and I'd go as far as to say downright necessary on the vast majority of undead PCs.

Remove ads