• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Undead Class Help

irdeggman

First Post
Yup

Undead (a type) get d12 for hit dice (i.e., monster hit dice).

Vampires (a template) get all hit dice (present and future) becoming d12s in addition to being undead type.

Hit Dice: Increase all current and future Hit Dice to d12s

Firstly I'd like to say thanks for all the help. To clarify things a bit, my character isnt going to be an undead.
For a little bit of back story the party just finished escaping from/clearing out an undead infested barrow which they entered hoping to find the source of a rash of recent undead attacks in the area. Instead they found an alter to an unspecified evil deity that was missing a prominent relic. With his dying breath the vampire (i think) that was in charge of the barrow told the party that it was too late of the surface dweller that stole the relic because he, the vampire, had "released hell on earth" to retrieve it.

My character is making an entrance as the "surface dweller" who is currently in possession of the relic and being hunted by the undead.

Dredan: Thanks, although I dont think a whole new campaign setting is what the DM is really looking for since the story is heavily involved with its Eberron settings.

Stream: I dont have the book of vile darkness, but I'm pretty sure that one of my friends probably does so I'll take a look at that one

Shin: I actually didnt even think of using regular PC classes to enhance the undead, using Ghostfaced Killer might be the way to go if i cant find any straight up monster that I like

Dredan

First Post
Glad you got it figured out! Good luck in the game.

irdeggman: I concur with you 100%, when you apply a template, unless template says specifically your Hit Dice become whatever you always stay the same, if your actual race gets changed for some reason and you go from human wizard to a dragon or undead, then you would acquire the HD of the race you changed into. I believe the book of vile darkness goes into this in more detail because in that book it is possible to become Vampire/Wraith and such.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Even if the stats aren't prime, I would suggest making a Warforged Warlock. There's just something thematically cool about a hell-spawned, "lifeless" creature who happens to have the Relic of Uber. He would be the black sheep of the shiny happy group, creepy but not evil.

You could even go Warlock/Bard if you like, making the Warforged more "bookish" and less "creepy". Then again, hearing a Warforged dirge might be creppy in and of itself. ;)

lottrbacchus

First Post
My Vampire/Bard/Soreceress with a medalion that let her wander around in broad daylight- woohoohoo, good times! (me being the Dm, the party not being able to figure out she was a vamp, because she was AWEFULLY persuasive and CHARMING and wandering around in the daylight anyhow)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads