• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Undead courtesan: inspiration?

Amaroq

Community Supporter
Hey guys, I'm working on next week's adventure, and I've decided that one of the features is going to be the undead courtesan of the arch-villain necromancer.

I'm looking for decent "courtesan-ly" powers, with a slightly "horror/undead" feel. Currently I'm taking my inspiration from the succubus and harpy

Harpy - alluring lure - hit: targets are pulled 3 squares and immobilized
Succubus - dominate - hit: target dominated until end of s's next turn

I'm thinking of making her more lurker-ey than combat-ey, probably very low DPR for her level and relying on dominating a striker or a defender plus other creatures in her area.

I was also thinking of offering a number of possible skill-challenge options, e.g., spotting her, negotiating with her, etc, maybe pushing her a little closer to "Obstacle" than traditional monster, e.g., it doesn't matter if you kill her or convince her to let you past, you still get the XP.

E.g., maybe she's got some kind of glamour, so she still looks like the gorgeous high-class courtesan she once was, but a successful Insight check lets you see through to her true nature ...

I'm just .. not satisfied with the "feel" yet. I'm able to get her to feel "seductive" or get her to feel "undead" but I can't seem to get her to exude the proper horror for "seductive undead".

Anybody have some inspiration they'd care to share?

the Jester

Legend
If you want a roguish undead courtesan type, there's a character in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series, by Steven Erikson, who is very much in that vein. Her name is Shurq Elalle, and she is an undead thief who gets all kinds of fresh herbs stuffed in her so she'll smell nice and that sort of thing to keep a semblance of life about her. She even has a weird symbiote creature implanted to make her sex organs more, er, functional. In a courtesan-like way. It also makes her totally sexually insatiable, though.

She first appears in (I believe) book 5- Midnight Tides. Great series, very complex, huge cast of characters and a lot going on, and unlike many other big fantasy epics of that sort, he's finishing the series in a timely fashion (approx. 1 book/year; book 9 just came out on 1/19, and book 10 is the finale). Also, each book tells its own story as well as tying into the overall thing. (Midnight Tides starts on an entirely new continent with almost entirely new characters, but the earlier books have a lot of references to the goings-on in MT, you just don't know it at the time).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads