• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Undead favored enemy

Kazuel

First Post
do you get the bonus damage on undead if their a ranger's favored enemy (also including having the Improved Favored Enemy Feat)? My friend says no because they can't be critticly hit ect. In the 3.5 PHB, it lists undead as a viable Favored enemy and makes no mention that they wouldn't get the same bonuses that everything else gets. A little clarification would be greatly appriciated.

UltimaGabe

First Post
In 3e you couldn't get your damage bonus against Undead, but that coupled with the fact that most undead are mindless and thus can't be Bluffed/SenseMotived/whatever, choosing Undead as your favored enemy was a very poor choice. In 3.5, however, you CAN add your Favored Enemy bonus to damage against undead.

That's a 3.0 to 3.5 change.

In 3.0, Favored Enemy (Undead) was a pretty dumb choice, as its main benefit (additional damage) did not work.

In 3.5, Favored Enemy (Undead) is no different then Favored Enemy (Fey) or (Humanoid [Elves]).

irdeggman

First Post
Yes as previously stated. In 3.5 it is in no way implied that the extra damage a ranger does is linked to being able to be critically hit. This is an important aspect here.

Vrecknidj

Explorer
Not only does the ranger get his bonus to damage, but in my campaign, if the character is also a cleric, he adds his ranger's favored enemy bonus damage to his turn undead "damage" rolls, and he gets half that bonus to his turn undead roll to determine the highest HD of undead he can turn. There aren't too many ranger/clerics, but it's a nice little benefit to those who are.

:)

Dave

jerichothebard

First Post
I actually allow the rangers in my game to critical hit their favored enemy, even if they normally couldn't. Though it might sound a bit unbalancing, it hasn't been so far.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
This was a welcome correction to a very dumb rule in 3.0 that served no useful purpose.

Logic would suggest that knowledge is even more important when fighting peculiar anatomies precisely because normal techniques would be suboptimal.

The Fighter is used to things that die when to tear their heart open. The Ranger knows not to bother stabbing the zombie in the chest; his experience teaches him to concentrate on shattering the large joints and the corpse will fall apart.

Remove ads