• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Undead Fey

Krelios

First Post
So I was thinking about an encounter I'm planning for my PCs this weekend in which they will encounter a large number of undead. There is usually the potential for some PCs to aquire (whether they like it or not) certain templates via such encounters. I know some of the PCs could end up as vampire spawn or some such creatures, but after looking briefly through Libris Mortis almost all intelligent undead that have an aquired template only affect Humanoids, Giants, and/or Monstrous Humanoids.

The dilemma then, comes from the fact that one of my PCs is a Killoren, and wouldn't have to worry about such an occurrence. I want there to at least be a threat of becoming undead, so are there any aquired templates for intelligent undead that affect Fey? I really don't want to threaten them with becoming a skeleton or zombie since they'd have to be dead for that anyway so who cares.

Voadam

Legend
Ravenloft Gazetteer V has a Widdershyn(sp?) undead template for fey. I think it is for ones killed in the banshee darklord's realm.

jerichothebard

First Post
Krelios said:
So I was thinking about an encounter I'm planning for my PCs this weekend in which they will encounter a large number of undead. There is usually the potential for some PCs to aquire (whether they like it or not) certain templates via such encounters. I know some of the PCs could end up as vampire spawn or some such creatures, but after looking briefly through Libris Mortis almost all intelligent undead that have an aquired template only affect Humanoids, Giants, and/or Monstrous Humanoids.

The dilemma then, comes from the fact that one of my PCs is a Killoren, and wouldn't have to worry about such an occurrence. I want there to at least be a threat of becoming undead, so are there any aquired templates for intelligent undead that affect Fey? I really don't want to threaten them with becoming a skeleton or zombie since they'd have to be dead for that anyway so who cares.

Well, to me, the real question here is whether or not the Killoren has a level adjustment, and if so, if part of that level adjustment is based on the fact that they can't be converted by most undead.

If so, then I'd say you're kind of risking sticking it to the player, by taking away one of the benefits that's been costing them so dearly.

If not, then just overrule the RAW and say that the templates apply to fey, too. Maybe it's a new strain of vampirism, or something, and the only real difference is wow, now you've got vampire pixies. *shudder*

Krelios

First Post
Killoren are a 0 LA Fey introduced in Races of the Wild. I'd rather not houserule that his particular character is affected when other Fey aren't, and I'm certainly not going to open up things like Vampirism to Fey at large... Good input though, thanks.

Nail

First Post
The only monster I can think of that combines fey with UD is in MMIII: Rage Walker.

"Spirit of the land", etc.

kenobi65

First Post
jerichothebard said:
If not, then just overrule the RAW and say that the templates apply to fey, too. Maybe it's a new strain of vampirism, or something, and the only real difference is wow, now you've got vampire pixies. *shudder*

[highpitchedvoice]Hee, hee, I vant to drink your blood. Hee, hee, blah, blah![/highpitchedvoice]

Krelios

First Post
Aust Diamondew said:
It's your game. Change the rules and allow some or all fey to be affected by things that turn humanoids into the undead.
Again, I appreciate the suggestion, but I don't want to change the rules for the sake of changing them--I'm really looking for valid ways to do this.

First of all, do the PCs want to become undead? Because if not, they might be angry. I know that, as a player, I hate having my PC changed (via templates, curses, or whatever) without my consent.

Second of all, assuming all the non-fey PCs do become undead, so what if the fey is left out? Then he could go on a quest to return his friends to non-undead status. Or he could just shrug it off ("Yeah, my adventuring companions are vampire spawn. You wanna make somethin' of it?") and travel along with them.

Krelios

First Post
Well, I am not planning on forcing the party to take on templates, but everyone in town that they've met has told them not to go into this place and they're going anyway. If they choose to fight monsters that can curse/template them, than it's exactly that--their choice.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads