• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Undead fortitude

Sean Pella

First Post
If a zombie has 22 hit points and gets hit with a lightning bolt for 23 points of damage in order to stay up am I correct in thinking it would have to make a con save of 23+5=28. You don't subtract the 22hit points they have off the saving throw do you? Thanks.

Last edited:

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
If a zombie has 22 hit points and gets hit with a lightning bolt for 23 points of damage in order to stay up am I correct in thinking it would have to make a con save of 23+5=27. You don't subtract the 22hit points they have off the saving throw do you? Thanks.

That's right, the DC would be 23+5 (except that equals 28).

Kalshane

First Post
Undead Fortitude.If damage reduces the zombie to 0 hit points, it must make a Constitution saving throw with a DC of 5 + the damage taken, unless the damage is radiant or from a critical hit. On a success, the zombie drops to 1 hit point instead.

I'm not sure how else one could interpret it. There is no mention of current HPs or how far below zero the attack takes the zombie. If the zombie is reduced to 0hps, they have to make a save equal to 5+ the damage they just took. (Unless it's a crit or radiant, in which case they die without a save.)

jaelis

Undead Fortitude.If damage reduces the zombie to 0 hit points, it must make a Constitution saving throw with a DC of 5 + the damage taken, unless the damage is radiant or from a critical hit. On a success, the zombie drops to 1 hit point instead.

I'm not sure how else one could interpret it. There is no mention of current HPs or how far below zero the attack takes the zombie. If the zombie is reduced to 0hps, they have to make a save equal to 5+ the damage they just took. (Unless it's a crit or radiant, in which case they die without a save.)

I suppose you could argue about whether damage past zero counts as being taken. IE, if the zombie has 1 hp, and you hit them for 10 points of damage, then you could argue that they only actually take 1 damage, since hp don't go negative, and so the DC would be just 6.

I'm pretty sure that is wrong based on how the mechanic is supposed to work, but it's reasonable just based on the rules text.

Regardless, this doesn't seem to be the interpretation that the OP is struggling with. There's no argument to say the DC is really "5 + plus the damage remaining after the zombie hp have been reduced to zero." (Although you could of course house rule it that way.)

TheNoremac42

Explorer
I suppose you could argue about whether damage past zero counts as being taken. IE, if the zombie has 1 hp, and you hit them for 10 points of damage, then you could argue that they only actually take 1 damage, since hp don't go negative, and so the DC would be just 6.

I'm pretty sure that is wrong based on how the mechanic is supposed to work, but it's reasonable just based on the rules text.

Not necessarily. The Instant Death rule says that "when damage reduces you to 0 hit points and there is damage remaining, you die if the remaining damage equals or exceeds your hit point maximum". Now, it doesn't explicitly say you can have negative hit points, but it seems to be implied.

jaelis

Not necessarily. The Instant Death rule says that "when damage reduces you to 0 hit points and there is damage remaining, you die if the remaining damage equals or exceeds your hit point maximum". Now, it doesn't explicitly say you can have negative hit points, but it seems to be implied.

The sage has been pretty explicit that hit points don't go negative, ie
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/07/07/hit-points-go-no-lower-than-0-there-are-no-negative-hit-points/

Remove ads