• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Undead rage

Kroax

Explorer
If a barbarian becomes an undead trough templates, like vampire or lich, how long would his/her rage last?

Normally, the rage lasts (CON modifier + 3) rounds, but since undeads don't have any constittution, well...

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
There are three ways I've seen of handling this.

1. Raging requires a Constitution, so undead cannot rage.
2. Undead have no Con score, and the modifier for a nonability is +0; their rage lasts for 3 rounds.
3. Undead generally substitute Cha for Con (see MM), so it lasts 3 + Cha modifier rounds.

hammymchamham

First Post
An Undead's con modifer is well - (null, or 0) 3+0=3. It lasts for 3 rounds. An Undead Barbarian also doesn't get temporary hit points or a bonus to Fort saves from an incrase to CON

The Iron Mark

First Post
I don't think this has been brought up before, so I'll say it now. In the Epic issue of Dragon, in the article about real world artifacts, there is Rabbi Loew's Golem. This golem can rage as a 21st level barb. What's interesting is that it says that since it never tires, it never drops out of its rage until its creator says so. Interesting, no?

Crothian

First Post
The Iron Mark said:
I don't think this has been brought up before, so I'll say it now. In the Epic issue of Dragon, in the article about real world artifacts, there is Rabbi Loew's Golem. This golem can rage as a 21st level barb. What's interesting is that it says that since it never tires, it never drops out of its rage until its creator says so. Interesting, no?

That is an interesting take on it and really makes raging zombies that much better.

Li Shenron

Legend
Very interesting topic!

I think that an undead can rage indefinitely. After all, it's not a high Constitution that allows to rage... it's a low Constitution that LIMITS rage duration.

In the same sense, how long can an undead run? Definitely he doesn't get tired! Or do I miss somewhere that undead can't run?
From srd:
Run: A character with a Constitution score of 9 or higher can run for a minute without a problem. Generally, a character can run for about a minute or two before having to rest for a minute.
Well, it doesn't help much... :) it doesn't really say anything about who doesn't have Con at all (and actually it doesn't even say how long a 8-Con Pc can run...)

So, I'd go with a neverending rage (if ever I see an undead barbarian). Otherwise, my second choice is no rage at all.

And IIRC, substitution of Con with Cha is a specific case only for Concentration checks in spellcasting, not for every Con-based check (not even non-spellcasting Concentration checks, if they ever exist)

Valicor

First Post
I like the idea persented but it also has some drawbacks. I am imagining a Zombie/Barbarian/Frenzied Beserker with (Deathless Frenzy)

Things could get ugly. For the Pc's

Remove ads