Undead recommendation

Melan

Explorer
I would recommend zombies. Hordes of zombies (face it: with a cleric, some of these will be turned/destroyed).

Also, put plate on the zombies (or just chainmail), equip them with shields and longswords. Don't tell your players they are zombies - just "some sort of undead, wearing breastplates and brandishing rusty swords". Maybe even point out their reddish glowing eyes. Watch them run away.

If you don't want your players to sell the breatplates, nail them to the zombies. ;)

green slime

First Post
Don't forget that the zombies can be boosted by:

1. Desecrate: 2nd level divine spell. As it undoubted contains a shrine to the god, turning attempts are at -6 and undead gain +2 profane bonuses to all rolls and +2 hit points per hit die.

2. Unhallow: 5th level divine spell.

3. Bolster Undead, just prior to the party reaching the final sanctum.

These effects making turning the zombies almost impossible, and unlikely to happen en masse. So although they still have few hit points and are unlikely to harm the PCs very much, they cause problems, slow them down, and get the PCs to waste actions (like trying to turn them, 3-4 times before giving up).

Kesh

First Post
If you want to freak out your put them up against a unique zombie. Perhaps something strange occurred in its creation, but the zombie retains some of its previous memories and abilities. In other words, a zombie with class levels.

If you really want to freak them out, make it a zombie wizard. :D

Altalazar

First Post
Ghouls and Ghasts both do paralysis. A bunch of them can just wipe out a whole party.

I was in a group of four fourth level characters and four ghouls wiped us out within two or three rounds.

It didn't help that the DM forgot my character had a shield spell going (otherwise I wouldn't have been hit) but basically, paralysis can be insta-kill.

G.A. Donis

First Post
There is a "critter" in the Creature Catalog (I think) called the Zombie Lord. It's a template and has a sample Zombie Lord based on a 6th level human fighter. There are some pretty good potential weapons there like Death Stench and Force Undeath. Also they can Animate Dead, Speak with dead and Control Zombies. The CR is base creature +2. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but will as soon as my campaign really gets rolling and the PCs pick up some levels.

Angelsboi

First Post
i created a zombie sorcerrer. I made him look like a liche. Before he died he placed a magic mouth spell in the room so when he opened the tomb, it would go off.

They ran but destroyed it as soon as they realized a liche wouldnt be calling himself "Alka'er the Magnifiscent"

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Melan said:
If you don't want your players to sell the breatplates, nail them to the zombies. ;)
Mwahahahah!!! :D :D :D

Heh. You know, at first, I thought you meant the breastplates... :p

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Course you REALLY want to worry your players...

Use Marrow Knights, Masterwork Skeletons and a couple Bone Golems from the Creature Collections and Hollowfaust respectively.

Remove ads