• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Undead Sorcerer

Any good Undead Bloodline Sorcerer Subclasses out there that people have found?
I've got a player looking for decent ones, and I'm willing to try out 3rd Party if there is nothing official.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I had a sorcerer who got his powers from being bitten by a vampire and surviving. We used the Draconic (white dragon) bloodline, but replaced all of the references to dragons with vampires. It ended up looking like this:

Undead Bloodline
Your innate magic comes from the stain of undeath that was mingled with your blood or that of your ancestors. Most often, sorcerers with this origi⁠n trace their descent back to a relative who made a bargain with a lich, mummy, or other powerful undead, or was bitten and nearly killed by a vampire, or perhaps fell under some dark curse. Some of these bloodlines are well established in the world, but most are obscure. Any given sorcerer could be the first of a new bloodline, as a result of a pact or some other exceptional circumstance.

Undead Ancestor
At 1st level, you choose one type of undead as your ancestor. The damage type associated with each undead is used by features you gain later.

Undead Ancestry
Undead (Damage Type)
Banshee (lightning)
Lich (fire)
Mummy (acid)
Vampire (cold)

You can speak, read, and write Abyssal. Additionally, whenever you make a Charisma check when interacting with the Undead, your proficiency bonus is doubled if it applies to check..

Undead Resilience
As magic flows through your body, it causes physical traits of your undead ancestor to emerge. At 1st level, your hit point maximum increases by 1 and increases by 1 again whenever you gain a level in this class.

Additionally, parts of your skin harden and shrivel like leather. When you aren’t wearing armor, your AC equals 13 + your Dexterity modifier.

Elemental Affinity
Starting at 6th level, when you cast a spell that deals damage of the type associated with your Undead ancestry, you can add your charisma modifier to one damage roll of that spell. At the same time, you can spend 1 sorcery point to gain resistance to that damage type for 1 hour.

Wings of the Night
At 14th level, you can spend a Bonus action to gain a flying speed equal to your current speed.

Frightful⁠ Presence
Beginning at 18th level, you can channel the dread presence of your undead ancestor, causing those around you to become awestruck or frightened. As an action, you can spend 5 sorcery points to draw on this power and exude an aura of awe or fear (your choice) to a distance of 60 feet. For 1 minute or until you lose your concentration (as if you were casting a concentration spell), each hostile creature that starts its turn in this aura must succeed on a Wisdom save or be charmed (if you chose awe) or frightened (if you chose fear) until the aura ends. A creature that succeeds on this saving throw is immune to your aura for 24 hours.

Last edited:

diegherkum

I always roll 2's. I'm not even good to do it bad
I was about to say the same: Shadow Sorcerer + undead racial options. It seems to be the best choice to me.

The closest official sorcerer that fits this is the shadow sorcerer. If you're open to homebrew there area a few decent options out there, and it is quite easy to either reskin the Undying Warlock from The Sword Coast Adventurer's guide as either an undead sorcerer archetype, or just have the player go warlock.

Remove ads