Undead with Attitude!

wmasters

First Post
If you're going to use undead in the city taking appropriate weapons away at the gate is perhaps a mean trick, but a sensible one if the undead is in a position of power. Controlling weapons in a city isn't a rarity, and it makes a lot of sense if you're vulnerable to silver not to have any silver weapons in the city.

One that I like is the Blackskate - a big zombie fish from Stormwrack. If the city has a reservoir or something like that then they work as an infestation in the water. And a zombie fish feeding on dead flesh in the reservoir seems like another good source of disease!

Ion

Explorer
Do you think it's fair to let the the Dread Wraith / Cleric select ghoul fever as a disease when casting contagion?

At work today I think I put another piece of the puzzle together in my head. I think this ancient evil wraith is going to be released from the huge fire opal my PCs found a while ago. Maybe some cult will make them a lucrative offer (gold really motivates these guys ;) ) and then do some sort of ritual.

I love the idea of having animated dead dogs and rats and things around. That's so creepy!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
For an undead cleric, I think ghoul fever fits perfectly. If you're concerned about it being too powerful, make it a custom spell a level higher than inflict disease is normally.

Ion

Explorer
Beautiful. I think I was just looking for an easy way to rationalize a way for this big bad wraith to make himself an army. Between Contagion and Animate Dead, any number of Mooks are possible.

It's too bad for the PCs that they don't like hanging out with Paladins. ;)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
There is a Metamagic Feat in Libris Mortis- Fell Animate- that makes creatures slain by a feat-modified spell rise up as zombies, up to 2x caster level in HD of zombies, for +3 spell level.

That would be an ugly way for an Undead Underworld Overlord to beef up his army for short periods of time...especially DURING an attack.

Magic Missile modified with this feat requires 4th level slots, so the boss or his pet spellcaster would have to be a minimum of 8th level arcane spellcaster, resulting in 4 missiles doing an average of 14 points/casting- possibly dropping then instantly animating most low level guards.

OTOH, Burning Hands (available to both arcane & some divine casters) modified with this feat would do an average of 12.5 points/casting...but over a larger area.

Joël of the FoS

First Post
Ah, undead, how nice they are in the glitterring moonlight, and... Oh sorry.

I'd suggest you get a few Ravenloft books for inspiration, after all Ravenloft has a long story of developping undead into interesting NPC villains.

Try to find the 2e or 3e Van Richten's Guide. You'll get tons of ideas to make them alive (well, sort of) in your campaign.

Joël

Remove ads