• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Underpowered Guns in d20 Modern (rant, long)

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
takyris said:
For my money, this is right. If the knight starts the fight less than thirty yards from the soldier, the soldier is boned. I, having never served in the military, have no idea whether the M2HB was made to be able to fire at enemies who appear quite suddenly at short range, but with a range increment of 110 feet, it seems like the d20 Modern people intended it to be a weapon that created a lovely kill zone for several hundred feet if you kept hosing people down with it.

If that was a real situation, the news would read: "Fool in stolen museam armor shot into crap by soldier."

30 yards is ninety feet. Plenty of time for me to yank the ma-duece around, depress the levers, and blow him full of holes.

takyris

First Post
Well, mileage will vary, I s'pose.

For my money again, the value of a given roleplaying system isn't in whether or not you can break it, but whether the unbroken area covers the majority of play. From that perspective, d20 Modern is fine. If a bunch of historians want to come in and say that full plate worked great against a thrusting greatsword (or whatever the long thrusting swords that they used against full plate were) but would be like tissue paper if a bullet hit it, that's totally good with me. Until then, my money is on the assumption that full plate actually does a decent job of stopping the average bullet -- which is to say, a glancing shot. The reason it went out of style was because rifles got a lot easier to make than people who could handle themselves in full plate, and because not every shot is a glancing shot, and you can put a whole bunch of rifleman on the field...

But my copy of "Guns, Germs, and Steel" is still sitting in Borders. :)

S'mon

Legend
The two obvious fixes are

1. The bullets should be making touch attacks - medieval armour (1mm steel plate) has effectively zero effect on .50 HMG rounds.

2. The bullets should do more damage - I have .50 rounds do 8d6 damage, which is still on the low side if you have a 9mm pistol doing 2d6 and a 6th-level greatsword-wielding knight power-attacking for probably 20+ damage/hit.

Less obvious, you could use the far superior Twilight:2000 burst fire rule, where

3. You simply roll 1d6 per bullet vs a target at short range in the open (reducing number of dice for longer range & cover), and every '6' is a hit.

I used all 3 of these rules in my AD&D/Cyberpunk crossover games, they worked great and made high-level AD&D heroes appropriately wary of modern heavy weapons.

mmadsen

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
At Agincourt, the English weren't aiming their arrows. They were firing their arrows upwards at the start of the French charges, letting gravity do its work. This isn't something that comes up often in a Modern or DnD game, however, so there aren't any rules for long-range boosting armor penetration.
Long range does not boost armor penetration, and firing up so that the arrows back down is not "letting gravity do its work"; the energy required to get the arrow up is the same as the energy released by the arrow coming back down.

Shooting an arrow down from a great height would "let gravity do its work," but an arrow isn't a high-mass projectile, so gravity wouldn't contribute much. Dropping a large rock, on the other hand...

Aaron2

Explorer
mmadsen said:
Long range does not boost armor penetration, and firing up so that the arrows back down is not "letting gravity do its work"; the energy required to get the arrow up is the same as the energy released by the arrow coming back down.

In addition, a falling arrow will impact the armor at a fairly steep angle, increasing the armor's effective thickness. On top of that, a very sharp arrowhead, needed to punch through armor, is easier to deflect than a duller point. You'll see that after Agincourt, knights dropped surcoats and went into battle in highly polished "white" armor. Armor that was designed to deflect arrows. At this time they also started to seriously armor their horses. The horse was the knight's vulnerable spot since the crusades, where turkish archers targeted them instead of the rider. A knight without his horse was worthless since he could never close with the more lightly armored turkish infantry.

In WW2, most armor piercing rounds had blunt noses to help prevent them from being deflected by angled tank armor.

Aaron

Last edited:

blaskowicz

First Post
MoogleEmpMog said:
However, the original gist of this thread was a machine gun and a greatsword, and I do somewhat see what the original poster was getting at.

No personal armor yet developed significantly impacts the damage potential of a heavy machine gun. The 'forced entry unit' in the d20 Modern book describes basically the pinnacle of modern anti-ballistic armor technology... and it probably shouldn't take one point of damage/to-hit off a heavy machine gun's attack. Same with full plate.

Possibly the biggest problem is the difference between a heavy machine gun (2d12) and a regular assault rifle (2d8). In a realistic system, the former should be much stronger, or the latter weaker, or both.

Exactly my point...
The system does not take into account the huge difference between regular assault rifle and heavy machine gun hits because armor does not help resist damage, it helps avoid it completely. Being missed by an M4 and taking no damage is the same as being missed by a Barret rifle...
It SHOULD be easier to incapacitate/kill an armored target with heavier caliber weapon.

Krieg

First Post
Warlord Ralts said:
30 yards is ninety feet. Plenty of time for me to yank the ma-duece around, depress the levers, and blow him full of holes.
I just had an image of someone wildly spinning the handwheel on the T&E Mechanism knowing full well that they will never get the weapon depressed in time to engage such a close target. :p

OK I'll shut up now.

Last edited:

buzz

Adventurer
Sebastian Ashputtle said:
A perfect summary of what's wrong with playing modern-type games in the d20 system.
Well, d20M at least. d20 covers a lot of games with a lot of different rules, so I wouldn't dismiss all of them. Anyone know how Grim Tales handles all this? I still haven't had a chance to read it yet.

I guess ignorance is bliss. My gun-fu is pretty minimal, so I've been having lots of fun with d20M. :)

swrushing

First Post
MoogleEmpMog said:
Possibly the biggest problem is the difference between a heavy machine gun (2d12) and a regular assault rifle (2d8). In a realistic system, the former should be much stronger, or the latter weaker, or both.

Taking these numbers... assuming an average COn of 14.

2d12 will force a MD save by getting 14+ 45% of the time.
2d8 will do so 10% of the time.

Its not just about wearing thru the hit points in d20M, its also about the MDT and how easily the hits get to it. At 13 hp per hit, it might take 4-5 hits to drop a mid level guy, but the MDS will have a chance of dropping hikm before then.

apoc527

First Post
Many, many thoughts

Well, this has been an interesting read. That first post certainly does a lot to point out some of the deficiences of d20 Modern, even if you DO subscribe to the "highly cinematic is good" camp (which I don't).

I would post my two cents, but it would be more like $100. I have spent SO much time on modifying d20 for two different d20 Modern projects (Mutant Chronicles d20 and X-com d20, which will hopefully be played in the near future) that I could write for hours on this subject. I will spare you that, however, and just say a "few words" instead.

Here goes...

1) Armor

Armor as Defense works great in D&D. That's about the end of it. There are some issues there too, such as crossbows vs. chainmail, but I can get over it. Any game with magical fire swords can do what it wants as far as I'm concerned.

In d20 Modern (or any modernish, sci-fi game) things are different (at least to my somewhat discriminating eye). Armor is perhaps BEST (subjectively, of course) modeled as a combination of Defense and DR, but that can be time consuming to convert (though Unearthed Arcana has a good starting point). There are so many issues and an equally immense number of ways of repairing these so-called defects. For example, suppose you want a system whereby .50 BMG rounds totally ignore pretty much all personal armor. Simple, you can keep armor as Defense OR as DR and give all weapons a "Penetration" value. If the "Penetration" value is greater than the Defense bonus or DR, then the armor has no effect vs. that particular weapon. If you want it to be less "all-or-nothing" give weapons their own Armor Piercing value that simply subtracts from the Defense bonus or DR of the armor. I've done both of these things in writing up theoretical rules.

For X-com d20, here's what I'm doing: armor grants both DR and a Defense bonus. The Defense Bonus will be small, but it will represent the ability of armor to completely deflect some hits that would otherwise be grazes. Think of it as "Passive Defense" (from GURPS). The DR will be the main protection of the armor, and may end up going pretty high for the famous Flying Suit (a highly advanced form of personal armor...that flies). Weapons may or may not have a Penetration value. I haven't decided quite yet. The benefit of using a Penetration value is that you can keep the actual damage dice to a minimum (because instead of relying on a large die roll to penetrate DR, you simply apply the DR only if the Penetration isn't good enough to ignore it...again, you can do this partially or as an all-or-nothing gambit). Anyway, on to HP.

2) Hit Point Systems

This is also tricky in a Modern setting. In D&D, damage is easily abstracted. Whose to say precisely how well that sword hit the orc? In d20 Modern, bullets tend to be less random. That's partially covered by d20 Modern's "2dX" damage value for all guns. Two dice will tend to produce a more predictable result than the typical 1dX of melee weapons. No problems there. The problems arise with the ever-increasing hit points of characters.

There are many options. To name a few:

1) Vitality/Wound from Spycraft or Star Wars.
2) Stamina/Lifeblood from T20.
3) Damage saves from Mutants and Masterminds.
4) Massive Damage from d20 Modern or CoC.
5) Simple HP from D&D.

What works best is going to depend on the feel you want for your campaign. (Duh). Personally, I think the T20 system doesn't work too well, especially when you take into account the weird armor and the relatively unfinished nature of the rulebook. There is a concept that I have borrowed from Dream Pod 9's Silhouette game system that will hopefully work very well for me. It's very obvious, and likely many people have House ruled it into their games already in one form or another.

Thus, X-com d20 will use a sort of scaling threshold massive damage system. The idea is simple. Using the basic concept of the massive damage save, I will create a number of thresholds whereby the effects of even TAKING that much damage start to have serious consequences. Likely, it will look something like this when I'm done:

1/2 Massive Damage Threshold (as figured using normal game rules): Flesh Wound. Make a DC 10 Fort save. Failure indicates that you have been Stunned for 1 round. Success indicates that you are merely Dazed until your next turn. A -1 Wound penalty applies to all future skill checks, saving throws, attacks, and whatever else you think it should apply to.

MDT: Deep Wound DC 15 Fort Save. Failure indicates that you are instantly reduced to -1 HP and are dying. Success indicates that you are Stunned for 1 round. Furthermore, you are Fatigued regardless of the outcome of the save. (This limits movement, I believe, but if it doesn't, it should.)

2x MDT: Mortal Wound DC 20 Fort save. Failure indicates that you are instantly reduced to -5 HP and are dying. Success indicates that you are Stunned for 1d4 rounds. Furthermore, you now take a -3 Wound penalty to all rolls. Additionally, you are considered to be Exhausted until this Wound is healed.

And so and so forth. At the GM's discretion, you can include simple bleeding rules (I recommend 1 HP/minute for Flesh wounds, 1 HP/round for Deep, and 1d4 HP/round for Mortal wounds). I have rules for multiple wounds and how they can be treated with First Aid and the like.

Once I develop them more fully, I may go ahead and post them if there's any interest (there really wasn't at the official d20 Modern forums, but if it's different here, I'm happy to share.)

There you go...that was a lot more than 2 cents, but hopefully not too bad.

-Apoc

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads