• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Underpowered

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
My top example for a useless spell is the 4th level illusory wall, which produces tah-dah! a permament 10x10 illusory wall.

Only marginally better is the 4th level hallucinatory terrain.

Phantom steed - what's with the 10 minute casting time?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
also - why has the 3rd level "keen edge" got a duration so much shorter than the 3rd level "greater magic weapon"? Especially since in terms of relative "cost" of those two powers on a weapon GMW is far, far more valuable (keen edge is only a +1 equiv when making magic items)

Cheers

Cloudkill (by the time you're casting it, it's pretty well pointless).

Doesn't it still do a bit of poison damage? It isn't great on it's own, but it is great when combined with Acid Fog, Wall of Force, a druid, or anything else that can restrict mobility.

Shield
Since we almost never play with the battlegrid the spell now gives just a +2 AC (and the immunity agains MM) exactly as if it were a normal shield. Therefore, it is compatible with Mage Armor and ordinary suits of armor, but not with ordinary shields (it gives a special shield armor bonus just as a shield does). Also, it can now be cast on others with range touch.

I'm using the D20 Modern version: +4 AC against all sides, protects vs MM.

Blindness/Deafness
Duration down to hours or days per level

Good idea.

Geas/Quest
Added a savingthrow

Same here.

Feeblemind
Duration down to 1d4+1 rounds. I've already had quite a discussion about int 1 creatures, and this spell effectively makes the target an almost mindless animal that only reacts to the FFF impulses. It is either Fighting (if it thinks it has a chance), Fearful, or Fleeing (from the Fear, Fight, Flight). This is bad enough for most spellcasters, no need to add to the insult to make it permanent (remember the save-or-die).

You're forgetting one "F" there - for ... mating. Anyway, I think it's designed to knock someone out of combat, so I might make it 1 minute/level in my campaign.

Haste
After the duration, the character is fatigued (as per the DMG). I did however add a new 1st level Clr spell (0 level for Travel domain) Remove Fatigue. Also nice for those characters wanting to sleep in armor.

Fatigue after the combat wouldn't work IMC. My PCs wouldn't care at all - unless it happens if the Haste is dispelled. :D

Shout: Wow, just terrible.

Agreed.

Forrester

First Post
I think that Foresight is clearly underpowered. It should be a 7th level spell, if that.

Divine Might is also underpowered -- a 5th level spell that gives you a size increase and small Str boost for one round/level is pretty lame. I mean, compare to Poly Other/Self.

Finally, Animate Dead is underpowered as a 5th level arcane spell; it should be 4th level, max.

DiFier

First Post
Darklone said:

Phantom Steed has 1hour/level casting time?

Hey, I like that spell!

me too. Not particuarly powerful but it is cool. get a scroll of it. :)

I thought that Stinking cloud was a little underpower for a 3rd level spell. I'm not sure now I've used it agains hoards of low level enemies and it gave us a tactical advantage. for a while.

trentonjoe

Explorer
Re: About Epic Spells

plavi said:

I did however add a new 1st level Clr spell (0 level for Travel domain) Remove Fatigue. Also nice for those characters wanting to sleep in armor.

Could you post this? I'll be your best friend!

Morose

First Post
That Remove Fatigue spell is a GREAT idea. I'd probably make it an orison for all clerics (1st level for Pallys) in my campaign (about the same power level as detect magic in my opinion)., but thanks a ton for the idea! Great for roleplaying and general use. Hope you don't mind if I gank it. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads