• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Understanding Combat Healing

soulkeeper

First Post
I am simply looking for some clarification on what I *think * I understand.

Combat healing.

You can use a healing surge in combat as a result of a power granting it, an ability granting it, or a successful heal skill

Is that correct?

You can't simply say on your turn, "I want to use a healing surge" and then do so, without one of the previous items evoking it...or did I really misunderstand this whole process?

Boarstorm

First Post
That is correct, so long as you keep in mind that Second Wind is an ability every character gets once per combat to trigger a healing surge (and gravy).

Edit: Also, remember that the first aid skill grants the target an immediate use of his second wind, not just activating a healing surge.

GorTeX

First Post
you are correct in your understanding.

Note that every PC has the 'Second Wind' encounter power that allows them to spend a healing surge.

soulkeeper

First Post
Perfect, thank you. I semi-sorta though I was getting it, but I really hate to appear only partially positive when I have 4 players looking at me for confirmation.

Thank you!

UltimaGabe

First Post
One more thing to remember- the Second Wind action not only lets you spend a healing surge, but also increases all of your defenses (AC, Fort, Ref, Will) by 2 until your next turn.

As far as healing goes in 4th Edition, itś cool, but when you think about it, healing is a LOT more limited in 4th than in 3rd and 3.5. True, the characters have their own ways to heal themselves, but once youŕe out of healing surges, youŕe done. Barring very specific abilities (such as a couple Cleric Daily abilities and Paladinś Lay on Hands), nothing can heal you once youŕe out of Healing Surges. Not even potions heal you- all they do is let you spend a healing surge. But if youŕe out of them, youŕe kinda screwed.

JDillard

First Post
UltimaGabe said:
As far as healing goes in 4th Edition, itś cool, but when you think about it, healing is a LOT more limited in 4th than in 3rd and 3.5. True, the characters have their own ways to heal themselves, but once youŕe out of healing surges, youŕe done. Barring very specific abilities (such as a couple Cleric Daily abilities and Paladinś Lay on Hands), nothing can heal you once youŕe out of Healing Surges. Not even potions heal you- all they do is let you spend a healing surge. But if youŕe out of them, youŕe kinda screwed.

Actually, this is not entirely true. I was reading the combat section of the PHB and under "Healing a Dying Character" (pg 295), it mentions something interesting. If you are unconcious, with no surges left, and something heals you that would trigger a surge you simply heal to 1 hp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads