• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Understanding the design quirks behind Monster Creation in 4e

Dragonbait

Explorer
I'm another one interested in the formula

Dragnbait

at

verizon.net

Notice the "o" from Dragon is missing. Many people miss that.

Thanks in advance

Scribble

First Post
Yeah the guidelines in the DMG don't seem to be for making perfect by the numbers monsters. They're general guidelines that if you use the numbers will be "close enough for government work."

Not perfect, but you probably won't notice a + or - 1-3 damage here and there in game.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Tequila Sunrise, I don't want to swamp you with a request either but I would definitely be interested in it. Maybe you could put it in the 4E downloads section?:D

occam

Adventurer
The designers didn't use their own guidelines. This is most obvious with damage values, but if you take a close look at attacks and defenses you'll realize that they also ignored their own formula.

Yeah, I noticed this when I started going through the MM comparing every monster to the design guidelines. Hit points, initiative, and (barring racial bonuses) skills are strictly according to formula, but defenses, attacks, and damage are all over the place.

Given the errata so far (especially the Big Erratum for DMG p. 42), and the history of errors in 3.x Monster Manuals where the numbers weren't even supposed to be arbitrary, these observations don't inspire me with confidence about how trustworthy the new math of 4e really is. How would we even know if numbers in the MM are off balance? If I use the DMG guidelines to create monsters, will I unintentionally create unbeatable opponents, or paper tigers?

I'm OK with moving away from 3e's slavish devotion to monster construction rules, but when the majority of monsters don't work according the creation guidelines provided, I think it's time for different guidelines, perhaps something forthcoming in the virtual pages of Dragon.

If you're interested, I wrote a detailed guide to 4e monster creation. Unfortunately my site is temporarily MIA, but I can email it.

I'd be interested, too, but I don't want to help bombard you with another email request. Could you post it in a blog here or something?

Rechan

Adventurer
I think you should just post your guidelines on EnWorld, maybe in the Houserules forum, instead of emailing half of EnWorld. :)

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Yeah, I noticed this when I started going through the MM comparing every monster to the design guidelines. Hit points, initiative, and (barring racial bonuses) skills are strictly according to formula, but defenses, attacks, and damage are all over the place.

Hit points don't always follow the guidelines either. Check any insubstantial monster for example. The hp formula seems to omit their Con score (which is fine I guess considering they only take 1/2 damage anyway).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads