• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Underused Monsters

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Yes. When talking about a fantasy world I think it's appropriate to use the word cannibal to describe sentient beings, especially humanoids, that eat the flesh of other sentient humanoid beings. What other word is there to use?
"Ghoulish" wouldn't confuse anyone, would it? ;)

Cheers, -- N

Tetsubo

First Post
Would you consider a lion eating a human to be a cannibal? I wouldn't. By the same token, I don't consider a halfling eating a human to be a cannibal. Now, a halfling eating another halfling, that's a cannibal, but they don't do that. Well, there's one published example, but that guy was exiled for precisely that reason.

A lion isn't sapient, all of the fantasy races are. Eating one of those races (either your own or another) really should be considered an act of cannibalism.

Tetsubo

First Post
Flumphs. There are *never* enough Flumphs in the world.

I once used Flumphs as cross dimensional beings. They slip between the Planes as easily as most beings walk across a room. Eventually the PC were suppose to figure this out and use the Flumphs as Plane transportation vehicles. Sadly the campaign ended before my Flumph-centric story-line came to fruition.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Achaierai, Yrthak, Yeth Hound, Xorn, monstrous vermin that aren't [spiders, centipedes, scorpions, or swarms], mules, Xill, Stirges, Pixies, Satyrs, Nightshades (all kinds, I thought they'd be common, but I've yet to use or fight against one in ANY game), Naga, Locathah, Guardinials, Grimlocks, Gibbering Mouthers, and Assassin Vines are all underused, far as I'm concerned. And I've made a point to use most of the creatures on that list thus far.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Flumphs. There are *never* enough Flumphs in the world.

I once used Flumphs as cross dimensional beings. They slip between the Planes as easily as most beings walk across a room. Eventually the PC were suppose to figure this out and use the Flumphs as Plane transportation vehicles. Sadly the campaign ended before my Flumph-centric story-line came to fruition.

Interdimensional Flumph surfing - dude thats like rad!

kinda like the jellyfish scene in Finding Nemo

Sapiophage? (Eater of sapients?)

So what happens if I eat an awakened chicken?

Nightshades
Shadows and Nightshades aren't undead IMC, they are just the native inhabitants of the Plane of Shadows and

I use The Nightwing (there is only one) as one of the BBEGs IMC giving him shadow, flying kenku and raven swarm minions

Last edited:

Rechan

Adventurer
Actually, no, for two main reasons: EGG didn't create the duckbunny (I did), and I don't drink alcohol. Believe it or not, the duckbunny actually does have a somewhat logical reason for being: I envisioned it a sort of "starter kit" for crazed wizards who would eventually want to work their way up to owlbear creation and the like. Far better to start out trying to magically merge two non-dangerous creatures that won't rip your lungs out if you get careless or make a mistake. :)

Johnathan
I remember that article; transmuters are one of my favorite types of wizards.

You still got that article anywhere on your hard drive? :)

Vahktang

First Post
So what happens if I eat an awakened chicken?
It screams for mercy while you kill it.
Or it has sorcerer powers and kicks your butt when you try.
:)
Hmm.
The fell creature, rumoured lich, that has been thwarting your efforts all this time, turns out to be a...lich chicken.
You could do a whole Chicken Boo thing here.

Remove ads