• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Underwater Adventures: Best Resources?

Deimodius

First Post
Y'all,

I'm planning to create a new campaign world for my homebrew, based on sea travel with the majority of adventuring done underwater. I already have The Seafarer's Handbook (Fantasy Flight Games) but I'm hoping you can all help me (and anyone else interested in this sort of campaign) with a definitive listing of the best D20 resources for adventure on, and under, the sea.

Here are some of the books I've seen in the Reviews section of Enworld:

The Book of the Sea (Mongoose)
Into the Blue (Bastion)
The Deep (MEG)
Monsters of the Boundless Blue (Goodman Games)
Seafarer's Handbook (Fantasy Flight Games)

Like I said, I already have the Seafarer's handbook, but I want to know if it's good enough on its own, or if there are any other "must have" books in this genre.

I also want a good book or two about pirates for D20, so I'd appreciate your thoughts on that as well.

I have the old Pirates of the Sword Coast book from 2ed, has anyone used that in 3ed? What did you do to modify it?

Any help you can give me is much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

Magistus71

Explorer
I have a campaign that while not really under water, the world is mostly Ocean, and little land mass. What I use are Seas of Blood by Mongoose Publishing, some stuff from Swashbuckling Adventures by AEG and some stuff from the Freeport series, specially Black Sails over Freeport. Also plan to use Stormhaven from Mongoose at some point.

Though since my campaign is mostly sea based, armor is not worn often so I have also adopted the Defense Bonus rules from Unearthed Arcana, though in my game it doesn't work against Touch Attacks like armor does not.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
I was rather impressed with the detail provided in parts of "Broadsides!" exspecially the variety of magical effects underwater, especially with different spell energy types. Acid area effects are diluted in the water and deal dmg over time instead of instant, cold creates blocks of ice that have a chance to encase others, etc. good stuff, plus helpful naviagtion and piloting skill DCs, etc. I've been using the book (along with Seas of Blood) for my swashbuckling campaign since december, working great.

Tinner

First Post
Boundless Blue is excellent

If you're going with a fantasy based game, then Monsters of the Boundless Blue has plenty to offer in the way of critters.
Dragon has had several issues in the fairly recent past that have dealt with Pirates.
And you might want to take a look at 7th Sea too.

Remove ads