• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Underwater dwellers and pressure damage

jgsugden

Legend
Metallian said:
Does this damage apply to creatures with a Swim speed? What about creatures with the "Aquatic" subtype? I haven't been able to find a rule to that effect, but otherwise Sea Elves and Sahuagin would all be crushed and frozen, right?

The Metallian
SRD said:
Very deep water is not only generally pitch black, posing a navigational hazard, but worse, it deals water pressure damage of 1d6 points per minute for every 100 feet the character is below the surface. A successful Fortitude save (DC 15, +1 for each previous check) means the diver takes no damage in that minute. Very cold water deals 1d6 points of nonlethal damage from hypothermia per minute of exposure.
I've seen nothing to indicate that aquatic creatures do not take this pressure damage. However, common sense indicates that creatures living at these depths should be immune to the damage, either via DR or via an (unlisted) special ability.

If you want to be realistic, creatures living at those depths should probably take damage if they go to shallower waters. Creatures living at great depths can not survive in shallow water.

In my games, most Sea Elves, Sahuagin and Locathah live in shallow water areas (50 to 100 feet deep) to avoid these problems.

Regarding the cold issue, you need to decide how cold your waters are going to be. Nature may dictate that deep water should be very cold, but a fantasy campaign could very easily not suffer from this problem.

dcollins

Explorer
You're right that there's nothing in the rules that frees ocean dwellers from the pressure damage (not that I've found in 3.0, anyway). Of course, you basically have to assume that it isn't applied for them (at least to some certain depth) or else underwater dwellers don't make any sense.

MarauderX

Explorer
jgsugden said:
If you want to be realistic, creatures living at those depths should probably take damage if they go to shallower waters. Creatures living at great depths can not survive in shallow water.

Not sure if they are the only animal, but sperm whales (y'know, like that dude Jona hitched a ride in, or the famous albino Moby Dick) delve to the ocean floor to dine on giant squid after taking a deep breath at the surface. Perhaps they could swallow a few merpeeps too.

jgsugden

Legend
MarauderX said:
Not sure if they are the only animal, but sperm whales (y'know, like that dude Jona hitched a ride in, or the famous albino Moby Dick) delve to the ocean floor to dine on giant squid after taking a deep breath at the surface. Perhaps they could swallow a few merpeeps too.
Giant Squid ... giant squid ... giant squid ...

For more on squid vs whale (and exciting new sharks entering the battle!), read the following:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2910849.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3370019.stm

Interest in the giant squid tends to result in some pretty large leaps in logic when discussing the creatures. It is unclear that sperm whales (that rarely go below 350 meters) actually feed on live giant squid (which live at depths in the thousands of meters). Instead, some suggest that the whales are feeding upon squid that have passed away in warm water currents and have floated into the whale's normal feeding area due to their bouyancy in 'warm' water.

LGodamus

First Post
most ocean animals and fish IRL are not immune to pressure ...99% of the oceans creatures live just beneath the surface.

Metallian

First Post
LGodamus said:
most ocean animals and fish IRL are not immune to pressure ...99% of the oceans creatures live just beneath the surface.

Right, but they don't build civilizations, either. I suppose it's possible that those types simply live near coastal areas, but it does kind of detract from the "Menace from the Deep" aspect somewhat.

Since it appears that no such rule exists, I think it's something I'll probably houserule. Not all creatures with a Swim speed, but all creatures with the Acquatic subtype would be immune to such damage. Not exactly game-breaking, unless someone can point out what it would be. Thanks, all!

The Metallian

Gez

First Post
It seems reasonnable.

Beside, game rules tend to be more forgiving than real-world considerations. The game don't differentiate between salt water and fresh water, for example (the sahuaging being the only exception I know). The climate/terrain entry "aquatic" don't differentiate between rivers, lakes, seas, and oceans.

Subtypes tend to grant immunity to "themselves", the fire subtype immunizes you against fire damage, so it seems normal the aquatic subtype immunizes you against aquatic damage.

Keith

First Post
These rules certainly aren’t more forgiving than reality. Humans do not suffer any pressure damage starting at 100 feet under water as the rules suggest. Not even remotely close to it. Scuba divers descend to 300 metres, and while it is difficult and dangerous, direct pressure damage to the person is not even a consideration.

Cheers

Keith

First Post
These rules certainly aren’t more forgiving than reality. Humans do not suffer any pressure damage starting at 100 feet under water as the rules suggest. Not even remotely close to it. Scuba divers descend to 300 metres/1000 feet, and while it is difficult and dangerous, direct pressure damage to the person is not even a consideration.

Cheers

Remove ads