• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unearthed Arcana and OGL

akchf

First Post
I was just wondering if there was a way to find out how many of the variations in Unearthed Arcana can be used in other sources. I have a friend working on his own campaign setting that I think would make good use of some of the rules like the weapon groups, but I don't want to suggest he make the change if it could cause problems for him.

I know the SRD contains OGL material released by Wizards, but I haven't seen any alternate material like the weapon groups or spell points in it.

cerberus2112

First Post
From Unearthed Arcana, page 2

Well, it says:

Product Identity: The following items are herby identified as Product Identity, as defined in the Open Gaming License version 1.0a, Sectino 1 (e), and are not Open Content: All trademarks, registered trademarks, proper names (characters, deities, artifacts, places, etc.), artwork, trade dress, and the names and game statistics for the following monsters: beholder, displacer beast, gauth, githyanki, githzerai, mind flayer, slaad, umber hulk, and yuan-ti.

Open Content: Except for material designated as Produect Identity (see above) and the githyanki/githzerai, slaad, and yuan-ti bloodlines in Chapter 1, the contents of this Wizards of the Coast game are Open Game Content, as definted in the Open Gaming License version 1.0a Section 1(d). No portion of this work other than the material designated as Open Game Content may be reproduced in any form without written permission. To learn more about the Open Gaming Lciense and the d20 System License, please visit www.wizards.com/d20 .

It even includes the Open Game License Version 1.0a on page 222 of the book.

Last edited:

Kaleon Moonshae

When TrueNight falls
I was under the impression that UA was *specifically* designed to be ogl. The only bits that aren't are product identity. They did this because most of it is *already* OGL since it is taken from various sources and it admits it. It is a book about house rules and showing exactly what OGL can do.

akchf

First Post
Thanks for the responses, I hadn't noticed the license in the back, and it does look most of Unearthed Arcana is useable under the OGL.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Well, if your friend is planning to distribute his campaign setting -- whether for profit or not -- you should comply with the OGL.

If it is for personal use (i.e., within your local gaming group), then use the UA to your heart's content.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads