• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Another New Ranger Variant

*Deleted by user*

Inconnunom

Explorer
This kinda proves to me that there aren't any true ranger fans on the design team now if were any.

The PHB ranger and both UA rangers display a lack of zeal and attempts to make a ranger based on what one is "told" and not replicating the images in ones head after roleplaying a ranger from their own back story and transcribing the mentality of their ranger experience from it inception and throughout its growth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

I am sure there are plenty of people that enjoy rangers that work at WotC.

mcintma

First Post
The 2d6 HP appears to be a callout to the 1e PHB ranger (2d8), where it was only 2 dice at 1st level (1d8 afterwards) based off memory.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Speaking of, I'm glad I got to see this UA revision, because the next PC I'm playing is a tiefling ranger based off of this mini, and I think I'm gonna use this new revision.

post-12951-0-40072500-1425845545.jpg

Quartz

Hero
The more I think about it, the less I like the hit dice. I will reiterate-
2d6 = 7 (average)
d12 (barbarian) = 6.5
d10 (fighter) = 5.5

That's not right, from either a gameplay or a general balance perspective. Adding yet another "tanky" character with more hp than a base fighter? And, to boot, with more hp than a barbarian? I understand the impulse (survival-y) but there are other mechanics that they can do that with. Perhaps it is a small thing, but in terms of the way the classes present themselves, it is *huge*.

I've long decided - and mentioned before - that if I run a game, the HP per level will be Max (Hit Die) -2 or 4 for a wizard, 8 for a fighter, and 10 for a barbarian. The ranger would therefore get (Max (Hit Die) -2) *2 or 8 HP per level which seems about right.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

I am sure there are plenty of people that enjoy rangers that work at WotC.

I didn't say they didn't play rangers.
I didn't say they aren't ranger fans.

I am saying they aren't true fans or the true fans got outvoted. Because little is shown that they got into the mentality of why a ranger exists and why it would have what it does. Also a true fan of the ranger wouldn't all so many errors (Primal awareness, concentration)

It feels too much of trying to make someone eles's ranger and not trying to make a ranger that makes sense.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Between this and the warlord, they can't win ;)

You forgot to add in "and the Warforged, and the Artificer, and the Favored Soul, and the Spell-less Ranger and the Mystic, they can't win."

Thus far every single UA article they've released with player options for playtesting has been defined as "the worst thing they've done" by somebody.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads