Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Explores Downtime Activities

This is EXACTLY what I wanted and EXACTLY what the game needed. Then there's this: "For more information, see “Brewing Potions of Healing” in this section on crafting and “Scribing a Spell Scroll” on page Error! Bookmark not defined." (p. 7) :erm:

This is EXACTLY what I wanted and EXACTLY what the game needed.

Then there's this: "For more information, see “Brewing Potions of Healing” in this section on crafting and “Scribing a Spell Scroll” on page Error! Bookmark not defined." (p. 7) :erm:

collin

Explorer
Benji states it nicely and succinctly .

You could just role-play your way through downtime, either live or in writing. But it's especially nice to have some rules around magic items, particularly Crafting Items in 5th edition, which up to this point was rather vague at best. One could even say the information in this Unearthed Arcana should have been in the DMG to start with.

Just because you *can* abstract something to a description only without mechanics doesn't mean you always *should,* or that mechanics for something are *unneeded.* This UA is fantastic, gives a lot of inspiration and ideas, and makes for creating a super cool way to spice up those in-between session moments.

OB1

Jedi Master
One of the best UAs yet. I love the depth that they are adding to the basic version of the game with this and so many of the other UAs we've been getting. And even if these don't make the final book or I never use the exact rule as written, it's just such good inspiration. A few immediate thoughts

10 years for a mortal to create a Legendary magic item - Perfect
Gambling rules - Awesome
Carousing - Going to introduce this into my game immediately
Buying & Selling magic items - This one goes in right away too, I have some PCs with more money than they can spend and a few magic items that aren't great fits for them and are about to get to a major population center where such activity would be possible.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Just because you *can* abstract something to a description only without mechanics doesn't mean you always *should,* or that mechanics for something are *unneeded.* This UA is fantastic, gives a lot of inspiration and ideas, and makes for creating a super cool way to spice up those in-between session moments.
It's probably why I haven't actually used downtime yet - it's just not how I'm used to doing it - but it's not that I wouldn't want to TRY.

These seem really intetesting to me, and I think they did a great job with the foils. You could make up whole adventures around those examples.

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

Xeviat

Hero
I really like the parts with "Stat mod +1 undefined favors/lore". I'm about to start a more open, sandboxy game, and I may start characters off with some open contacts and lore to get them in the mindset.

I do find it interesting that Wisdom isn't useful for the Religious service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phantomK9

Explorer
This is some really great stuff. I wish the buying magic items stuff was modified by the size of the community you are shopping in (based on the city size categories form the DMG) but still a solid effort.

Foils also seems like an addendum to the Villain NPC creation rules in the DMG, but with more focus on "organically" creation the motivation. The example foils especially the wererat could easily turn into campaign villains.

Remove ads

Remove ads