Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Fighter: Samurai, Sharpshooter, Arcane Archer & Knight

I'm getting, like, unhealthy amounts of mad, clicking on that broken link.

I'm getting, like, unhealthy amounts of mad, clicking on that broken link.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Create Magic Arrow and Arcane Shot(Piercing arrow) are two different things that do not get overlapped. You create an arrow of one, or create an arrow of the other.

For the knight, think if you have a prone enemy adjacent two you. It spends movement to try and get up. You smack it back down and zero out it's movement. No grid needed.

The Create Magic Arrow ability is supposed to stack with the Arcane Shot. They are both under the Arcane Arrow header and the Arcane Shot says that when you create a magic arrow you add the benefits of one of your "spells" to it. (Trying not to repeat same term over and over)

Also, not positve the Knight continual knocking someone prone works. I think we got a clarification once that "moving" indicates something other that "removing prone condition" because it doesn't tend to work on other abilities that require the target to move x feet.

The more I think about it the more happy I am that we didn't get more spellcasting options, or more superiority dice.

As a thought exercise. How do you think a Knight holds up to say a Battlemaster (or Champion) with Sentinel (like having one more feat/ASI to spend). Is there enough here for a distinct subclass? I know feats are optional, but I would really hate for a subclass to only be appealing in a feat-less game.

What about Sharpshooter and the Sharpshooter/Crossbow expert feats?

I don't know about the Sharpshooter, but the Knight definitely seems to hold up well.

Sentinel allows you to do three things

Hit an Enemy that is attacking an Ally that doesn't have Sentinel: Knight allows you to hit a guy who isn't attacking you, the attack has advantage and deals extra damage, and you can use it multiple times instead of just once per turn as a reaction*

Reduce an enemies spd to 0 if you hit them with an OA: The knight ability allows you to make an attack as an OA that does extra damage and reduces a foes spd to 0

You can still use an OA against someone who disengages: I don't know if the knight has any way to copy this... unless...hmmmm

So, the rules for Opportunity Attacks state you can hit a creature who is leaving your range, your range is 5 ft, Disengage prevents Opportunity Attacks, but technically Hold the Line and the MArk ability are not Opportunity Attacks and are triggered when you move only 1 ft, still within range...

Could that be the reason they had the 1 ft line in those abilities, to prevent an enemy from fleeing with Disengage?

Anyways, the Knight abilities are (except the disengage) superior to Sentinel, So, I'd say a Knight stacks up pretty well compared to a Champion with Sentinel. Battlemaster may be a different story, but the Knight could spend a feat or two for Martial Adept so... toss-up? Simply because Battlemaster is sooo good.

*Holy crap.... The Knight Mark and Sentinel stack. You can have a barbarian with Sentinel who hits the guy for attacking the knight, and the knight can hit the guy for attacking the barbarian with Sentinel.... That is a loophole which may need to be closed.

SailorNash

Explorer
Unearthed Arcana Fighter

Samurai is cool, though oddly similar to Barbarian. Knight seems nice as well at first blush...not crazy about "marking", but I wouldn't mind trying this one out myself.

I like how there's a better "short rest" ability for Archer arrows...just wait a minute, rather than an hour.

I do think two magic arrows are far too few, when that's the entire angle of the class. Should be a stronger component of their playstyle. I realize they still get Fighter features, but wouldn't a better option be that a spell arrow is a full action, similar to spellcasting in general? Then you could launch one special arrow or a barrage of normal ones during your turn. Sacrificing fighter power for arcane power, just without the multiclass.

(Though that'd be fine too as an EK replacement, Arcane Archer 15/Wizard or Sorcerer 5 for those low-level utility spells you'd need, along with burning an ASI for Ritual Caster.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony Vargas

Legend
Additionally the entire super-sticky defender thing makes for un-fun combats and generally screws with encounter balance.
It can make for more interesting and (perhaps counter-intuitively) dynamic encounters. It's a function that deprives enemies of their ideal tactics, so those tactics, instead, vary, and a wider range of tactics are opened up for allies. It's also not at all absolute - there's a dilemma for the marked target, but its choice isn't dictated. The effect was marked(npi) in 4e 'set piece' encounters, but it could conceivably develop in 5e, too. You'd need longer, more challenging encounters, though, adding the Knight would just be an enabler, not a done deal, but it's a nice step in that direction, better than I'd hoped for from a mere archetype.

Finally - what makes this a knight? I get that way back in 3.5e, there was a knight that was the prototype for the defender, but that doesn't mean that the thematic knight and this class bear any resemblance. This one is just full of awful and awkwardly written rules and has no redeeming features.
Sounds like a marked(pi) resemblance to the 3.5 Knight. ;P

Seriously, though, it's very clearly derived from the Essentials Knight(Fighter) from Heroes of the Fallen Land (which may have also had the odd awkward rule, like an 'aura' and been shy of redeeming features, like choices of encounter powers or having dailies at all).

Shouldn't be a surprise as Mike Mearls was the lead designer in both cases.

But the 5e Knight's provenance is clear: 5e Knight Archetype < Essentials Knight(Fighter) < 3.5 Knight Class < MMO Tanks with 'Aggro' < Classic D&D Fighter

Chaosmancer

Legend
Sorry for double-post, didn't see this while I was writing my other post.

Knight: marks are very metagame, and I dislike them. Same goes for gaining multiple reactions in a round. Same goes for halting movement. Additionally the entire super-sticky defender thing makes for un-fun combats and generally screws with encounter balance. Finally - what makes this a knight? I get that way back in 3.5e, there was a knight that was the prototype for the defender, but that doesn't mean that the thematic knight and this class bear any resemblance. This one is just full of awful and awkwardly written rules and has no redeeming features.

Noble Calvary and Born to the Saddle seem very "Knightly", play a knight class with a noble background and you've got it pretty spot on. The marking abilities and capability to make multiple reactions signifies a true force on the battlefield that keeps those foes near him focused on him, or else they will pay dearly.

I'm not sure what you could have gotten beyond more social skills, which a decent charisma is going to get you anyway, maybe Inspiring Leader

Samurai: Elegant courtier is basically the only thing here that says samurai to me. Mechanically it's better than the barbarian at what the barbarian is supposed to do (ie - rage), and that's before adding in the base fighter features.

Considering some of the other features barbarians can get while raging, I don't really think a single turn of resistance and advantage is good enough to get rid of an entire other class. Most barbarians can get multiple turns of raging, and they can use their rage to cancel surprise, and each subclass improves that rage in a variety of ways.

Also,the idea of your fighting spirit giving you a moment of clarity. The idea of taking that moment when you are going to be struck down and turning it against your opponent to strike them down instead. The anime fan in me definitely sees the mythic swordsmen of the East in that concept.

Sharpshooter: Kind of feels like this is completely unnecessary. I guess it has a niche if feats are disallowed? Careful eyes is stupid, since there's no such thing as 'the search action'. Does this let people search an entire dungeon as a bonus action? Who knows? Does it apply to investigate or perception or both? Who knows? How can it help you pick out hidden enemies when that is part of marching order and occurs out of combat? It can't! Will you still be crap at it since the only thing that matters is your wisdom score and whether you have expertise? Yes!

Hate to quote page numbers, but PHB pg 193, right above "Use Object" is the Search action. I tend to houserule it be a non-action most of the time, but it is there in the official rules.

I think the idea is to spot enemies that are hiding during combat, or trying to have a second wave ambush. Not common I'll grant you, but something an eagle-eyed archer should be able to do

First thing I thought as I read through the Arcane Archer: this would make a really great assassin! Magic arrows that do not leave any evidence. Magically-created normal arrows that vanish after 10 minutes? The Arcane Shot ability Piercing Arrow? Just let those nobles all line up for you nice and neat. 30-foot kill line is on average 8-10 humanoids, depending on how they are lined up. The only question is whether to single class for the higher level abilities or multi-class for other deadly options.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
I'm loving Samurai. Yes, the combat abilities are really good; what excites me is more bonuses on non-combat abilities inside a Fighter chassis. I can readily imagine the Wisdom-focus making for some good multiclassing – I'm picturing a Samurai/Monk in particular for style.

Juomari Veren

Adventurer
For the Sharpshooter, I do wonder if steady aim could be changed to spend your move action instead of 3x/short rest. It might have to reigned in a little, but I think that would be a better option.

I made a custom gunslinger archetype for a player of mine just this summer that had that same ability - Bonus damage for not moving during a round. I think the ignoring cover benefit is redundant in a world where everyone who has this archetype is going to take the sharpshooter feat. Trading movement for bonus damage is plenty fair, though, in my opinion. I had it deal an extra die of damage instead of just flat bonus damage, though - maybe something for them to consider in the long run.

Considering some of the other features barbarians can get while raging, I don't really think a single turn of resistance and advantage is good enough to get rid of an entire other class.

It's two turns, if you take the bonus action at the start of the first one. Hence my earlier concern that it might be a tad overpowered (though, again, I'm not positive).

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Once again a knight in full armor being dismounted always landing on their feet!? WT?

Makes for ridiculous jousting tourneys. so hoping I would never see that appear under knight again.

Once again a knight in full armor being dismounted always landing on their feet!? WT?

Makes for ridiculous jousting tourneys. so hoping I would never see that appear under knight again.
Do you think everybody participating in a joust has three class levels of fighter (knight)? Because the knight NPC in the Monster Manual would indicate otherwise.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads