Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Gives You Subclasses For Monk, Ranger, and Paladin

The paladin unarmored ability is pretty amusing for a druid paladin multiclass. Overall I like the flavor and ability of all three sub classes.

The paladin unarmored ability is pretty amusing for a druid paladin multiclass. Overall I like the flavor and ability of all three sub classes.

Mercule

Adventurer
For me, that "something" is the fact this is a martial class that advocates not being martial. Great roleplaying if not playing your class' strengths is your thing, but I would never play one. I find this concept is best as a film or literary character and far less so as one in a tabletop game (at least in games I've played where combat isn't the be-all, end-all, but plays a significant role). Of course, that's just my take. :)
Way back in 2E, I wanted to play a diplomatic pacifist, but most of the attempts I'd seen at that had just been people playing wizards/clerics who did indirect damage. I didn't want that. The character I wanted to play was actually to see what a somewhat extreme CG elf might look like: long life gives respect and value for the lives of others, values free will and self-determination, wanted to increase good more than just reduce evil, etc. I ended up playing a Ranger who focused on the quarterstaff (but rarely used it). It gave him access to enough toys to be useful, and the martial class thing was odd, but not a huge deal. The Oath of Redemption would be a perfect fit for the character, so I immediately like it, for that reason. FWIW, the character's name was Mercule. ;)

Now, I'll grant that it's kind of a unique niche, but it definitely appeals, to me. YMMV.

As far as the other subclasses go, I'm indifferent to the Drunken Master. The Monster Slayer Ranger, though, was totally bland and I did not like it. I'm also finding that I'm still not warming to the use of the word "Conclaive" for Ranger kits. I think that ship has sailed, but I'm still hoping they find something better -- I'll probably reply to next week's survey if for no other reason than to voice my disdain of the word.

Sacrosanct

Legend
So 13 STR, 13 CHA, 3 levels out of your primary class and then max your DEX. What class benefits from that choice?

Not to mention that most DMs actually want you to play your PC like they actually are. In this case, if you want to level dip into a pacifist paladin, the your PC should be acting like a pacifist. Whenever I hear terms like "build", it always seem that people completely ignore the flavor part of the class, which is just as important and class defining as any ability of said class. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are DMs that don't care about the flavor at all and only care about optimizing, and there's nothing wrong with that if the table likes that, but I don't think that's the norm by any means, so the prevalence of builds like this won't be very common, IMO

The Human Target

Adventurer
Why make a drunken master that gets no benefits from drinking and doesn't really do anything fun?

They seem to have made a "realistic" drunken master.

Which is boring.

Belltent

First Post
This gets me cautiously optimistic they have realized the implementation of Hunter's Mark as a spell is problematic and would work much better as a class feature without concentration.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Yeah, and there was a variation on it in the last 2 archtypes as well. Only thing now is to see if they pop out the spell completely and graft this onto the pre exisiting enclaves in a revised revised ranger

CapnZapp

Legend
Not to mention that most DMs actually want you to play your PC like they actually are. In this case, if you want to level dip into a pacifist paladin, the your PC should be acting like a pacifist. Whenever I hear terms like "build", it always seem that people completely ignore the flavor part of the class, which is just as important and class defining as any ability of said class. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are DMs that don't care about the flavor at all and only care about optimizing, and there's nothing wrong with that if the table likes that, but I don't think that's the norm by any means, so the prevalence of builds like this won't be very common, IMO
You're forgetting the old adage: don't balance a character option using flavor.

That is: any requirement "be CG", "be Elf", or "always wear a hat" should be taken as flavor only, and be considered as nothing from a system balance POV.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Belltent

First Post
Actually this is a replacement for colossus slayer, not hunter's mark. You would have this going along side hunter's mark.

Eeeeeeeh, colossus slayer is essentially always on, deals more damage, and doesn't preclude HM also coming down on turn 1. Hunter enclave starts comfortably ahead and then only widens that gap

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads