• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unearthed Arcana: human paragon

FireLance

Legend
Alternatively, allow them to be treated as +1 level for any class with respect to class abilities. So, fighters effectively get one more feat (over two levels), rogues get +1d6 sneak attack, monks get two levels' worth of abilities and so on. Does that sound balanced?

Davelozzi

Explorer
I'm not too worried about it at this point, but if anything, I'd probably go with some more skill points. Maybe 6/level instead for non-spellcasters. Not that 2 extra skill points are equal to a spell casting level, but a bonus feat might be a bit too much. That, and what Crothian and jgsugden said above.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
I'd actually dish out those spellcasting levels to everyone, like monsters with built-in spellcasting (like Nymphs):

Paragon classes are a little like racial hd for races withought racial hd. An elf paragon 3/fighter 5 would get those two effective levels of wizard (but nothing else, no bonus feat, no familiar).

RuminDange

First Post
Like Darklone stated, I too have been using these racial levels since Monte posted them. I have also modified them to fit my world.
For the spellcasting level increases granted by many of them, I decided to handle in two ways.

One either it give them an effective level in a spellcasting class of choice (just access to spellcasting, no familiers, turning etc) .
Or when the character takes a level in spellcasting class the increase become retro-active therefore they lose nothing.

I've seen no balance issues doing that, and look at the racial levels as a way to explain some characters development before getting the training they seek without making everyone a commoner for their first level, therefore you can have a human 3 seeking to become a Wizard and finally getting accepted by a master to learn the art of magic and either perfect what he has already started learning or come into his own a lot faster.

RD

TooCan

First Post
FireLance said:
Alternatively, allow them to be treated as +1 level for any class with respect to class abilities. So, fighters effectively get one more feat (over two levels), rogues get +1d6 sneak attack, monks get two levels' worth of abilities and so on. Does that sound balanced?

This would make me more interested in the deal. Human seems like a rogue without adding to my sneak attack.

Davelozzi

Explorer
TooCan said:
This would make me more interested in the deal. Human seems like a rogue without adding to my sneak attack.

Yeah, I was just throwing it out as an option for everyone, but I'm not trying to sell you (or anyone else in the group) on it.

If I allowed you to have a +1 effective level in sneak attack or other rogue special abilities, then you'd be trading 4 skill points/level for higher HD, adaptive learning, a bonus feat, and then a +2 ability bonus -- of course you'd be interested.

The point of the human class is to make you more versatile. If you're looking to keep focusing on your roguish abilities, you're definately better off staying with rogue.

Frankly, in the case of our group, I think that the dwarvish paragon suits Angrim quite well, which is why I pointed these classes out. But I figured if I pointed out the dwarf paragon to him it was only fair to offer up the human paragon to everyone else.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Not entirely related to the topic of the thread, but one House Rule I enjoy is that the racial prestige classes (Bladesinger, Battlerager, Outrider) require three levels in the appropriate Paragon class-- and nominating a few Prestige Classes to be "Human" classes that likewise require the Paragon.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Korimyr the Rat said:
Not entirely related to the topic of the thread, but one House Rule I enjoy is that the racial prestige classes (Bladesinger, Battlerager, Outrider) require three levels in the appropriate Paragon class-- and nominating a few Prestige Classes to be "Human" classes that likewise require the Paragon.
Sounds sensible. And it's not that they can't use those levels at all.

Remove ads