Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Magic Items of Eberron

There's a new Unearthed Arcana up from Keith Baker, Ruty Rutenberg, and Ben Petrisor -- "This month's Unearthed Arcana looks at the magic items that are part of everyday life in the world of Eberron. Arcane focuses, enchanted clothing, warforged components, and more are all common sights for the citizens of the Five Nations."

There's a new Unearthed Arcana up from Keith Baker, Ruty Rutenberg, and Ben Petrisor -- "This month's Unearthed Arcana looks at the magic items that are part of everyday life in the world of Eberron. Arcane focuses, enchanted clothing, warforged components, and more are all common sights for the citizens of the Five Nations."

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 17.10.40.png

The material in this month's Unearthed Arcana also appears in the Wayfinder’s Guide to Eberron, available on the DMs Guild.

guachi

Hero
+1 to the basic magic items. 5e doesn't really need lots of magic items (though some subclass skills imply getting a magic weapon by level 6) so fun little magic items are always welcome. I don't have enough imagination to come up with them myself.

dave2008

Legend
The artificer is so overdue it would only be rushing if it were being delivered to Mars. =D

Overdue for what? It is not a core class. It makes since to be a part of Eberon, but that is not out yet. There is a play test Eberon and a play test artificer. The seem pretty close to the same time frame. If anything the artificer came out ahead of time, since it came out before 5e Eberon.

Brodie

Explorer
Personally, I'm waiting for the announcement of whatever book is going to contain the Mystic class. Whenever that happens, I just might consider going to adventures league with my roommate. I probably won't because I can only use the PHB and one other book and that would kill any chance of recreating my chaotic neutral changeling (Eberron) mystic (playtest material).

I would like to see more class archetypes and options and not this rather bland stuff. Seeing the Artificer in action on Critical Role was pretty cool. And actually playing the mystic class has really changed my mind about psionics in D&D. I love it. It's a bit overpowered at times, but so are some of the core classes.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Very disappointed. Because:
- it is the second UA in a row copy&pasted from an already published product. Is it so difficult for wotc releasing new stuff? what about the revised artificer or something else?
- as for the previous UA about dragonmarks, it is not fair in my opinion releasing stuff for free when a lot of people already paid for it. I'm feeling treated like a stupid because I bought the wayfinder's guide.

You paid for a product that is still in beta. When it gets updated, your copy gets updated for free.

What about this is so strange that people are still upset about it?

Its a book with free early access for those who bought it early.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
I don't mind them using UA for this, but I sort of wish they could alternate months with some other material or something, to give us more new toys to play with (while allowing the folks with the Wayfarers Guide to keep testing, perhaps even noting every few weeks what they want feedback on like they did on occasion during the D&D Next playtest).

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I'm having that nagging feeling of Deja-Vu :p

Armblades are lacking. The fact that they disable your hand is enough of a cost for a "immune to disarm" one-handed weapon. For something with attunement it should do something spiffy, like retract into your arm. And if it does, it should allow you to trigger all such sheathed items with the same bonus action.

Orbs of Shielding are wonky in terms of power. On the one hand, you can use one to walk through a burning building like the terminator. On the other hand negating 1d4 radiant damage with a reaction becomes a pittance really quick. Changing it up to full-blown resistance, once per rest or so, would even out the kinks like that.

Two-Handed Arcane Focuses seem like they would cause quite a bit of headaches. Adding 50% to 5' is going to beg the question "how many squares is this attack?" And IMO, rods are already overpowered when compared to other focus types. The 180' effective range on the long distance cantrips really tilts ranged combat in favor of casters, because that's longer than any mundane weapon can reach without disadvantage. It also effectively doubles the amount of combat ranges that you have to keep track of in Theater of the Mind combat.

Wand Sheaths are a bit closer to the mark. Though they should explicitly state that you can hide your wand when it's retracted.

Everything else functions more or less like I would expect it to.

As for the turmoil over this book being used for Early Access:
I was very apprehensive of the model: Pay and Play then Patch is not a game design mode I favor. However, WotC did tell you what was going to happen with product. So I don't understand why people are surprised with it.

D

DQDesign

P1 and P2 are in a relationship. P1 invested some effort in creating it, including spending some money. P2 says: "ok, we are in a relationship, but please consider it a beta one. in order to improve our kamasutra, I will throw myself to random strangers for free in order to get feedback. P1: "gulp, ok, how long does this process take?" P2: " who knows? years, maybe" P1: "glom, may I at least choose which kamadutra positions will you test with them?" P2: "of course not!".
The worst part is that P2 is also a brilliant space technician, and the testing of kamasutra with random strangers prevents it from developing its great space program.
results? afyer some years, maybe P1/P2 relationship improved, maybe not, P1 has surely been cheated 1,234,567 times and the community did not have the space program in the meantime.

MarkB

Legend
I always wondered how people could get so passionate in their opinions about certain supplements. I genuinely hadn't considered that they might actually be in an intimate sexual relationship with them.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads