• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Unearthed Arcana Playtest Packet 6 Video

Remathilis

Legend
The 10 things I'm looking forward to seeing.

1. Wild Shape.
2. Wild Shape.
3. Bard Spell List
4. Ranger/Paladin still getting cantrips AND weapon mastery?
5. New subclasses
6. Wild Shape
7. General Monk overhauls
8. Cleric domains still granting weapon/armor proficiency?
9. Updates to Weapon Mastery (esp for monk/ranger/rogue/paladin)
10. Wild Shape.

The 10 things I'm looking forward to seeing.

1. Wild Shape.
2. Wild Shape.
3. Bard Spell List
4. Ranger/Paladin still getting cantrips AND weapon mastery?
5. New subclasses
6. Wild Shape
7. General Monk overhauls
8. Cleric domains still granting weapon/armor proficiency?
9. Updates to Weapon Mastery (esp for monk/ranger/rogue/paladin)
10. Wild Shape.
I am looking forward to what they do with wildshape, aren't you?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I think Crawford's emphasis on having more open setting and planar aspects of the classes in the PHB feels like the 5e designers feel less fear into making the PHB as generic as untoasted white bread out to appeal to fans of much older setting designs.

A bit of "D&D setting have an Underdark, Shadowfell, Feywild, Astral Plane, and Elemental Plane, Abyss, Hells, and Far Realm. Figure it out".

Incenjucar

Legend
I think Crawford's emphasis on having more open setting and planar aspects of the classes in the PHB feels like the 5e designers feel less fear into making the PHB as generic as untoasted white bread out to appeal to fans of much older setting designs.

A bit of "D&D setting have an Underdark, Shadowfell, Feywild, Astral Plane, and Elemental Plane, Abyss, Hells, and Far Realm. Figure it out".
While my issues with mechanics have filled many threads now, I am dangerously excited about all the planar talk.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero

At this point, I feel like most people have figured out that D&D is a bad system for generic games, including generic fantasy. It's very good at delivering D&D-flavored fantasy. This is a good thing to lean into.

Clint_L

Legend
I'm honestly just shocked that weapon masteries are going forwards... Because it's actually a completely new element, rather than a gently massaged old one.

But why are Paladins getting them? Ranger and Rogue are Experts, it's fine, but Paladin is now in the Priest category, isn't it? They don't need this, when they can just smite!
Probably to keep them competitive in melee, which is their primary function. According to the theory crafters, masteries are a much bigger damage boost than you might expect from just reading them.

mellored

Legend
Probably to keep them competitive in melee, which is their primary function. According to the theory crafters, masteries are a much bigger damage boost than you might expect from just reading them.
Yes but...

Martials don't have a problem at low levels. It is higher level that's the issue.

And mastery is a level 1 feature, which only scales at level 5. (Except for fighter).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads