• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Psionics and Mystics Take Two

February's Unearthed Arcana article from WotC's Mike Mearls has been posted. This time around, the topic is psionics again "This month, Unearthed Arcana returns to the mystic character class and the rules for psionics. Based on the playtest feedback you sent us, there are a number of changes you can expect." The article expands the Mystic class to 10th level, and adds a variety of new options.

February's Unearthed Arcana article from WotC's Mike Mearls has been posted. This time around, the topic is psionics again "This month, Unearthed Arcana returns to the mystic character class and the rules for psionics. Based on the playtest feedback you sent us, there are a number of changes you can expect." The article expands the Mystic class to 10th level, and adds a variety of new options.

Find the article right here.

Nellisir

Hero
I guess I'm one of the vocal few who thinks the Far Realm narrative is really unfit for psionics as a monolithic narrative choice.
Clearly, folks are cool with this, but my interest for the class pretty much bottoms out at any mention of the Far Realm. I don't want my dude who can read minds and enhance his own metabolism to have to be linked to some distant tentacled threat from beyond the stars. I'm cool with my Old One Warlocks doing it, but as a whole class, that's a pretty narrow narrative.

I hear ya. The Far Realm just isn't a thing in my campaign. There's The World, and there's Nothing outside of it. Nothing.

I ignore most references, or rewrite them to refer to some other diabolical evil.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I like this version of psionics better, but still feel there are a few balance issues. I think the lethal weapon adding d10s is too strong, OP like paladin smite. Also I think psionics should be completely susceptible to dispel magic, and vice versa. Having psionics be it's own weird non-dispellable magic is broken. Other than that, looks good at first blush. I really like the psionic cantrips.

SailorNash

Explorer
Dislike the Far Realm connection, and dislike pseudoscience. Really, is "psychic" a simple enough concept already? And flavorful enough for fantasy gaming? Isn't that why we had the name change to Mystic?

For tying disciplines to orders, it does seem unnecessarily clumsy. Choosing from class or subclass lists would work better, like choosing class or patron spells for a Warlock.

If kept, I think instead of an overall regeneration mechanic each ability should have its own kicker. For example:

Immortal defenses
Immortals: +INT to AC
Awakened: +1/2 INT to AC

Awakened Senses
Immortal: blindsense/tremorsense 30ft
Awakened: 60 or 90 ft

Therefore anyone can do these things, but no one can do them better than those who are supposed to excel at it.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
I'd just go with the clause, "You can't use the same option from a discipline more than once per turn" and call it a day.

Space Jockey

Villager
I gotta say this is a step in the right direction for 5e psionics (any mechanical complaints I have has already been covered in this thread). Unfortunately I'm pretty sure we're not gonna see some good support for it for a couple of years :( Sorry Dark Sun and Eberron, you'll get your dues. Someyear...

As for the fluff: Nothing that I can't reflavor. Light science fiction elements have always been a thing in my setting, and my Material Plane, like our universe, is filled with galaxies, nebulae, stars...and a lot of emptiness for things to wriggle and twitch, so the Far Realm connections can easily be switched to "the regions of space between the stars".

GobiWon

Explorer
As far as the disciplines, and the psi points, well that's no more front-loaded than any full-caster.

If you can exceed the psi limit per round you are actually more powerful than a full caster. You are essentially casting multiple spell equivalent powers per round.

I like it. A lot. In fact, probably too much. It makes me want to build a jedi knight. It also makes me want to play this as a fighter, reskinned with all the psychic flavor stripped out. It's got stances, maneuvers, powers, and all that stuff that fighters aren't supposed to have but I love. Too bad we can't get that for martial characters...

slightlyprime

First Post
I absolutly love this class.
Love how mind vault makes you one of the best skill monkeys as bonus action for profficiency in anything, and 2 points and abonus action for advantage.
Don't feel psionic weapon is overpowered due to cap on how many points you spend.
Conquering mind is also amazing for an ability, occluded mind is only 2 points and you can inform a creature that you are its mother, or you are a dragon and it has to believe you which might be abusable but the fun things you can do make it worth the chance of someone convincing the monster that it is safe to hit itself with an axe.
Overall I think the class is amazing but there are a few things I'm not a fan of, the main thing being consumptive power. At lvl 10 you are , spending 10health for only 1 psi point unless i am misinterpreting it, to me that seems quite weak, 50 health for only 5 points so you can deal an extra 5d10 with lethal strike.
Overall I love this class, but consumptive power seems too weak and they also seem to have limited options for attacks. Love the class but hope it gets more options eventually.

EbbTide808

First Post
I never got to play a character with psionics way back in the AD&D / 2e days of my youth but I definitely wanted to. I think the draw was, and still is, that the power comes from within you. It's the idea that you can use your mind to manifest tangible things and have a physical effect on your environment.

Magic is about using arcane forces that exist around you, but psionics is about tapping the unrealized potential of the human(oid) mind.

Remove ads

Remove ads