• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Revisits Psionics

The latest Unearthed Arcana from WotC revisits some psionic rules! “Shine with the power of the mind in this installment of Unearthed Arcana! Today we revisit several psi-themed options that we released in the past few months. Studying your feedback on those options, we’ve crafted this new collection of subclasses, spells, and feats, found in the PDF below.“...

The latest Unearthed Arcana from WotC revisits some psionic rules! “Shine with the power of the mind in this installment of Unearthed Arcana! Today we revisit several psi-themed options that we released in the past few months. Studying your feedback on those options, we’ve crafted this new collection of subclasses, spells, and feats, found in the PDF below.“

F07971E8-C0BB-4025-A151-D48852409FCA.jpeg

Moorcrys

Explorer
I like the direction they’re going, and I’d certainly be into incorporating them into my homebrew setting, but I don’t know if it necessarily scratches the itch in a dedicated psionics setting like Darksun. Maybe future UA releases over the next couple of months will flesh it out even more?

I think it actually fits better in a more generic fantasy setting like the Realms - that is, more as a flavor rather than as the meat of the setting.

I like the Feats, as well, but that makes it even more dodgy as a ‘world defining’ mechanic since Feats are an optional system. I guess if they release a Dark Sun sourcebook Feats become mandatory?

maceochaid

Explorer
Also, I think the Monk will need a subclass with psionics as it can have a strong psychic flavor. For Dark Sun I think a Psychic Barbarian would give a strong pop of Athasian flavor as well. I wish people could realize that the subclass is a decent way for characters to represent Wild Talents if they don't have feats in their game.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I like the Feats, as well, but that makes it even more dodgy as a ‘world defining’ mechanic since Feats are an optional system. I guess if they release a Dark Sun sourcebook Feats become mandatory?
Nah. They could just make it a starting ability for every Darksun PC and NPC. They don't have to keep it a feat for Darksun.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yes, I expect that's what they'll do. I didn't say it was hard. I said Feats weren't an option.

That's literally not what they said, in fact they went to great lengths to avoid saying that, but I guess if that's how you view it, then there's no discussion to be had with you.

What are you discussing, exactly?

Adventures aren't rules. This may be semantic to you, it's important to what I'm saying. Even adventure-wise all I can think of is stuff that's been drastically remade, and is significantly different to the '80s iteration. Which supports my point. People don't want to go back to 1E-style rules or even really 1E-style adventures. They like some '80s theme stuff, or stuff that's timeless, but they don't want the rules to be similar to the 1980s.

That's why 1E AD&D isn't even that popular with OSR fans, and most OSR games mimic OD&D or BECMI/RC or the like.

It kind of feels to me like you're trying to score points here rather than trying to honestly understand my posts, and I have to say, I don't appreciate it.

These rules aren't really like 1E, they hearken back to 1E-ism (which for most people, yeah, means B/X with Race and Class). That's like the driving force for the whole edition, and works for folks like me who were wearing diapers in 1988: I want the old timey feeling, but streamline the details. This seems to be a recurring trope with the mass of players.

I understand your posts just fine, but it is clutching at straws to imagine done "internal politics" when the most obvious explanation is that this is where survey after survey lead the design.

I didn't say there was no tradition there, I said it's not ESTABLISHED tradition because of the variance. Do you honestly think the 2e Psionicists has a lot in common with the 4e Psion? I don't.

And I didn't say only 3e fans want a dedicated psionics class either. There is a lot more to my view on that, than simply that claim, particularly since I went to some lengths to say it as 3E-4E :)

Which again reinforces in my mind that you're engaging in confirmation bias, if your response to what I wrote was not one but two strawmen. It's a pretty good sign that I was right, in my opinion. That you might be ignoring indications which run contrary to your bias.

I don't think so mate. You did say the second thing. There may be more to your view, but you did say that so you can't criticise me for what you said.

I also absolutely genuinely DO think the 2E and 4E Psionicists have ton in common! And 3E. And you saying they don't and claiming it's a "strawman" solely on the grounds that I didn't read "established" as indicating variance is bizarre in the extreme and rather unfair.

I mean heck, your entire response to me smacks of "I didn't really want people's honest opinions on this - I wanted them to agree with me that I was right." But that's not what you asked for. You asked for people's honest opinion about your view. So I gave you it. I didn't think you'd like it though.

That is itself a strawman. I specifically asked for what percentage of people wanted 1E-style Psionics, and I asked a specific person, who hasn't answered, and you used that, and then went off on a tangent, and because I disagree with your opinion, which is just an opinion, not supported by facts (your numbers appear to all be made up on the spot which is fine, but is not acceptable as "indications"), you're trying to claim something else? I don't think so.

There's also no way in heck that 100% of people who started with 1E, prefer 1E Psionics, because I know tons of people who started with 1E who utterly hated 1E Psionics. 3/4s of my original D&D group played 1E first and they universally prefered 2E Psionics. So even your 23.8% of players (have no idea where that is coming from btw) started with 1E, it's a subset of that which prefers 1E. The same is true of 3E-4E. First off, lumping them together makes no sense. It's like lumping cats and dogs together. No two editions have had such opposed "fans". Second off, even if 2-4E fans (let's not exclude 2E fans like myself entirely, eh?) prefer slightly inconsistent things - there's one thing they do like - a psionics focused class, and a connected psionics system worthy of such a class.

What's funny is there IS a dedicated psionics flavor that I want that they're not going with. Which is Deryni psionics. So it's not like I don't have sympathy for your view. I am just calling it like I see it. I don't think your assumption that your view is held by a majority is a well-founded assumption.

Sadly I think Deryni is another one of those "actually good" fantasy series of the 1980s and 1970s (and 1960s) which is almost entirely ignored by the under-40s, and ignored by most under-50s too (I am 42, for the record), along with literally everything Michael Moorcock ever wrote. It's not really their fault but I find it kind of bizarre junk like Shannara (sorry guys but that series was so bad, even fourteen-year-old me was like "This is really badly written...", and I was fourteen, so had low standards, going back twenty did it no favours at all) from the same era is still much-read and strangely "okay"-regarded.

Just about to start on the series myself btw. I mean, I read one of the books years ago, loved it, never read the rest, but anyway am coming back to read it in order.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
There's also no way in heck that 100% of people who started with 1E, prefer 1E Psionics, because I know tons of people who started with 1E who utterly hated 1E Psionics. 3/4s of my original D&D group played 1E first and they universally prefered 2E Psionics. So even your 23.8% of players (have no idea where that is coming from btw) started with 1E, it's a subset of that which prefers 1E. The same is true of 3E-4E. First off, lumping them together makes no sense. It's like lumping cats and dogs together. No two editions have had such opposed "fans". Second off,

Most players started with 5E (3.x for me), but the IDEA, the PHILOSOPHY of 1E has caché. Which is what WotC went after with this after years of iteration.

posineg

Explorer
It would be nice if they made the entire PSI format based off of a stat, PSI, like they do with Sanity. Saves/Attacks/Damage... everything works from a PSI save/stat.

You could have all the cool material from the Mystic and additional to any class without needing to shoehorn a subclass.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Those were, but they were um, imho, kind of terrible and the reception here and on Reddit was not er, positive for either. I suspect they've gone back to the drawing board on those.

There were also a bunch of UA subclasses which seemed from a very different setting, like the Rune Knight or whatever it was called, and have yet (AFAIK) to emerge as connected to a setting.

Totally agree with this: the initial run if UA last year was probably mostly if not entirely for Theros, just most of it was DOA.

Remove ads

Remove ads