• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unearthed Arcana: Strange Gods (Dragon #398)

They should add an "Unearthed Arcana" checkbox to allow people who want to use UA player options to use them (and have it remove a character's legal status).

yup, agreed.

It's possible to mitigate the loss by picking up one of the leader MC feats that grants a healing word, as well.

Yes, you can do that, but then you've basically spent 2 feats to get access to a fairly niche power AND you're down to one use of a healing power per encounter, not really a super great trade, though if you're going to go for the power swap you might well MC to cleric or whatever.

kaomera

Explorer
Huh, to me at least half the advantage of these feats is getting rid of that damned healing word. If I wanted healing word, I'd play a cleric, and even when I play a cleric I don't really particularly want it. Let the controllers have healing duties, it'd give them something useful to do for a change...

MrMyth

First Post
They should add an "Unearthed Arcana" checkbox to allow people who want to use UA player options to use them (and have it remove a character's legal status).

The thing is, the vast majority of UA stuff simply doesn't fit in the builder.

I'm relatively confident that this article wasn't UA because of the power options, but because of the rules for generating your own god. I think it would have been better to split it up into two articles - one for players, with advice on serving strange gods and these new character options (which could go in the builder), and another DM article with advice on running strange gods, adventures involving them, etc, along with the random god generator.

The thing is, the vast majority of UA stuff simply doesn't fit in the builder.

I'm relatively confident that this article wasn't UA because of the power options, but because of the rules for generating your own god. I think it would have been better to split it up into two articles - one for players, with advice on serving strange gods and these new character options (which could go in the builder), and another DM article with advice on running strange gods, adventures involving them, etc, along with the random god generator.

Well, yeah, but they don't have to make it 2 articles to deal with that. Just add whatever DOES give a PC option to the CB. The rest is 'fluff' as far as DDI is concerned and needn't be anywhere.

I think the underlying reason is that UA can try out any crazy thing and there's no need to ever worry about how it works with other stuff, etc. It is a design sandbox. By not even putting it in CB at all they avoid any need to worry about people showing up to a game somewhere with some crazy option that was never really vetted against the rest of the system. Still, I think having a UA tab that automatically marks a character picking one of those options as house ruled would be fine. As it stands now you have to hack on your character sheet after you print it out, which is kind of a pain (take some other power or feat option and then replace it with the real one from UA or whatever). Goes back to the 'we need a house rule option in OCB' really.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads