• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unexpected Gaming Windfall

Talath

Explorer
So I was driving with a friend down some road in San Francisco, a few blocks away from Divisadero in the Western Addition (the road we rode down was parallel to Divisadero), and we drove by a garage sale.

My eyes scanned for anything interesting, finding nothing UNTIL they scanned upon a box set displaying the words "Dungeons & Dragons", at which point, as recounted later by the driver, I "abandoned my usual controlled volume" and excitedly shouted that we needed to stop. It came out to sound more like, "STOP STOP STOP!"

So we looked it over, and what did I find, but a curious D&D boxed set, using the, what I presume to be, the Mentzer rules for Basic D&D, but in boxed set form, copyright 1991. In it, was a foldable dungeon map for use with several paper minis, a DMs screen with DM rules inserts, a rules book, and various papers with writings from the previous owner. Also inside was a TSR customer response card, filled out by one Aaron Williams, age 14, who lived in San Mateo. The box set was $2.

The second find was the second edition of Talisman by Games Workshop, copyright 1985. Some of the chits are missing, I imagine, since the game describes it coming with 140 chits, and it didn't seem like there were 140. It also came with two Q&A books, as well as a Game Programming for Teens book, which uses custom programming software, but it sort of based on C/C+. $5.

All in all, a nice price for these collectibles. The Talisman game we can actually pay. I haven't looked to see how much these finds are worth, but I would imagine I got quite a steal.

Remove ads