• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unexpectedly Useful Items

lgburton

First Post
erm... i'm surprised that no one has actually corrected you yet, but it's about how uses a Towel has. (though it can be used for a blanket also).

AZNtrogdor said:
in hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, douglas adams goes through the many uses of the blanket.

Roadkill101

Explorer
I remember learning in Boy Scouts, the only two things absolutely vital to survival are a knife and some rope. From there a person who knows what they are about can fashion everything needed to survive off the land. Although I believe this to be highly debatable depending what the local geography and environment is like.
To that list I would add, a hatchet (also serves as a hammer) for dealing with anything wood bigger than twig (try cutting down a sappling with a knife). A bit of flint and steel for starting a fire. A canteen or waterbottle of some sort. An Entranching Tool (small folding military shovel) for any small earth moving projects. And a couple of blankets or small canvas tarp.
For gaming purposes I also add a some sticks of chalk (perhaps of several colors) to mark my way for underground settings.
BTW, I've read Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, and could swear that it was a Towel, not a blanket that was so vital to carry around.
Edit: I see someone posted before I finished mine and also noticed the discrepancy over the Towel issue.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Seriously, I think there should be a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Dungeons.

But anyway, ten-foot poles are king. In one brief session not-too-long ago, I used one as a focus of a light spell, a trap detector, an impromptu reach weapon, a device for fording quicksand and a shield (stuck it around a corner, it was attacked by the monster instead of me).

Demiurge out.

Cedric

First Post
A few things most of my rogues carry (at least...the ones who are supposed to be competent).

3 Fish Hooks
Small Metal Mirror
30' ball of twine
10' spool of wire
A small bag of fine white sand
3 pieces of chalk
Hammer and 10 pitons
Wax for seals

And a few other odds and ends.

Cedric

IronWolf

blank
lgburton said:
erm... i'm surprised that no one has actually corrected you yet, but it's about how uses a Towel has. (though it can be used for a blanket also).

Whew! I thought I was losing it, having gone all these years thinking the towel was the thing to never leave home without!

As for the thread's original question. Marbles. Used to pass the time away in camp, an impromptu level of sorts, or spread across the floor to force balance checks.

Last edited:

AZNtrogdor

First Post
Edit: blanket fixed to towel

oops... im sorry, i was trying to write this post quickly becuz i did it once and forgot to write which forum i wanted it in and it got erased

Harmon

First Post
A knife, 60" boot lace, a Bic Lighter (you can start fires with it even after its out of fuel) and a roll of black electrical tape. Opps sorry, at least two of those you can't find in your local adventurer's store- umm, Dagger, strand of leather about man height in length, Flint and Steel and a bit more of that a for mentioned leather.

Keep in mind that humans made millions of years without any kind of metal.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Simpson's Individual Stringettes!

---

Monty Pythons Flying Circus said:
S: String.
W: String, washing powder, what's the difference. We can sell *anything*.
S: Good. Well I have this large quantity of string, a hundred and twenty-two
thousand *miles* of it to be exact, which I inherited, and I thought if I
advertised it...
W: Of course! A national campaign. Useful stuff, string, no trouble there.
S: Ah, but there's a snag, you see. Due to bad planning, the hundred and
twenty-two thousand miles is in three inch lengths. So it's not very
useful.
W: Well, that's our selling point!
"SIMPSON'S INDIVIDUAL STRINGETTES!"
S: What?
W: "THE NOW STRING! READY CUT, EASY TO HANDLE, SIMPSON'S INDIVIDUAL EMPEROR
STRINGETTES - JUST THE RIGHT LENGTH!"
S: For what?
W: "A MILLION HOUSEHOLD USES!"
S: Such as?
W: Uhmm...Tying up very small parcels, attatching notes to pigeons' legs, uh,
destroying household pests...
S: Destroying household pests?! How?
W: Well, if they're bigger than a mouse, you can strangle them with it, and if
they're smaller than, you flog them to death with it!
S: Well *surely*!....
W: "DESTROY NINETY-NINE PERCENT OF KNOWN HOUSEHOLD PESTS WITH PRE-SLICED,
RUSTPROOF, EASY-TO-HANDLE, LOW CALORIE SIMPSON'S INDIVIDUAL EMPEROR
STRINGETTES, FREE FROM ARTIFICIAL COLORING, AS USED IN HOSPITALS!"
S: 'Ospitals!?!?!?!!?
W: Have you ever in a Hospital where they didn't have string?
S: No, but it's only *string*!
W: ONLY STRING?! It's everything! It's...it's waterproof!
S: No it isn't!
W: All right, it's water resistant then!
S: It isn't!
W: All right, it's water absorbent! It's...Super Absorbent String!
"ABSORB WATER TODAY WITH SIMPSON'S INDIVIDUAL WATER ABSORB-A-TEX
STRINGETTES! AWAY WITH FLOODS!"
S: You just said it was waterproof!
W: "AWAY WITH THE DULL DRUDGERY OF WORKADAY TIDAL WAVES! USE SIMPSON'S
INDIVIDUAL FLOOD PREVENTERS!"
S: You're mad!

Remove ads