• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unfair Character Death?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BWP

Explorer
Crothian said:
You are either for the players and willing to give them the benifit of the doubt; or you are against them and not willing to give them any slack.

OK, this is the point at which I back out of the room, slowly. :confused:

Brother Shatterstone said:
Well then you have a room for of veteran players that let one of them make a horrendous mistake?

Actually, according to the DM:

1) All the veteran players knew that the EBTs were traps
2) The player whose character died didn't know that the EBTs were traps
3) The player whose character died is a veteran player

It's a conundrum. ;)

Crothian

First Post
The Thayan Menace said:
No, but I will not have someone question my integrity. I am an honest person and I do not deserve to be maligned for something I did not do.

Well, that's already happened.

Besides, caving is not friendship ... self-degradation is not a sign of loyalty.

niether is stubborness or lack of understand how the other sees things

I already admitted to him that I could have been more detailed, but I will not apologize for killing his character when it was not my fault.

Sometimes you have to do more. And admitting you coulkd have been more detailed is not far from saying that lack of deatil you failed to give lead indirectly to the players death.

The Thayan Menace

First Post
How Much Information?

Brother Shatterstone said:
I think your perspective is well corrupted by your inability/lack of desire to see it from the players perspective.
I'd like to empathize, but I can't think of anything else I could have done but pointedly tell him the following:

"You have set off a triggered Evard's Black Tentacles spell. This is a magical trap that you can disarm. There are probably more in this fortress. You should be on your guard."

Last edited:

dnabre

First Post
Sounds like you did the right thing. Including acknowledging that more details/hints might have been appropriate.

Did the party try to understand the traps? Applying their knowledge abilities and so forth to understanding their cause? If not, there's nothing to feel at all bad about. If the characters don't understand what's causing something, and they don't ask questions about it, no one's to blame but the player when they're assumptions about what's going on kills them.

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Retraction

Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Actually, according to the DM:

1) All the veteran players knew that the EBTs were traps
2) The player whose character died didn't know that the EBTs were traps
3) The player whose character died is a veteran player

It's a conundrum. ;)
My mistake, the PC rogue (who was a veteran) did not know. I stand corrected (and I have edited that thread response accordingly).

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Ehh, I think you did fine, TM. It's possible that the player's perspective is considerably different than yours, but from the sounds of it, I'd'a killed him too.

[Open Fortune Cookie]
When wrestle pig in mud, you never win.
You both get dirty and the pig will love it
[/Open Fortune Cookie]

Damn it... wrong fortune cookie...

[Open Another Fortune Cookie]
When DM build big wall and sit on that wall, and it time for DM to hop off wall...
it big drop for 10d6 damage
[/Open Another Fortune Cookie]

I suppose the DM's never wrong.
As long as the player's are having fun...

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Good Suggestions

Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Or some of the suggestions I made upthread, eh?
Your suggestions were great, and I will use them in the future; however, I do not believe that my detail was insufficient simply because the rogue died.

Plus, to reiterate, no one in the party made absolutely any attempt to determine what had happened in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads