• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Unfortunate Wording

wwanno

First Post
Still, I agree. It probably was too hard to create magical items.

Yes but where is the fun of finding a treasure with the +1 longsword, when the wizard in the party creates magic weapons all the time?

I like more being not able to answer the question "where is this magic item from", than being ripped of the fun of finding rare precious and "old encrusted but still usable (+1) longsword, with a small ruby on the top of his hilt".

It is a game, it must be fun, not rational.

pedro2112

First Post
It has been confirmed that my gut instinct was correct. It was unfortunate wording and we don't have to worry about 1st level barbarians having a one in ten chance of casting meteor swarms.

@Plaguescarred DMBasic p60 saysspell scroll can be cast by anyone but StarterSet p53 say not anyone, must be on spell list-Which one true?
@JeremyECrawford The Starter Set's version of the spell scroll is on target.

Last edited:

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Yes but where is the fun of finding a treasure with the +1 longsword, when the wizard in the party creates magic weapons all the time?

I like more being not able to answer the question "where is this magic item from", than being ripped of the fun of finding rare precious and "old encrusted but still usable (+1) longsword, with a small ruby on the top of his hilt".

It is a game, it must be fun, not rational.

I agree with this. And some of my past players (and maybe some of the current ones are getting there) did too.

Starts out great. Wizard item crafter is a fantastic concept. Then when he crafts a +1 sword, he doesn't craft one, he crafts everybody one. When he makes Goggles of Darkvision for one person, everyone who needs them gets a set. Magical items become equipment, much like my backpack, 210 rounds of ammunition, and my e-tool.

Fairly soon people are "disenchanted" with the idea (get it? disenchanted...lol).

I know the way to limit this is by limiting the amount of gold they have. But now you are taking away from the characters feats they spent. and just because the wizard will spend the gold on rings of protection for everyone shouldn't mean the rogue who wants to buy a pirate ship shouldn't get his share. And if you put in "interesting" magical gear, they will sell it. And use the gold for equiping everyone with boots of striding and springing.

And by the way, lets craft a Lyre of Building and raise a castle.

----

Now having said that, there are several arguments FOR letting them do it. Its the character concept and its legal. All the players like being Batman with a tool belt of magical gear. And the campaign is fun.

I not opposed to it, but like [MENTION=6775160]wwanno[/MENTION] said, I don't think its as much fun.

But if my players like it?...Have at it!

I just notice that eventually...they don't. IMHE.

LostSoul

Adventurer
And over thousands of years, if the items last forever, then why are they not in the hands of the Royalty, Temples, Military, and Nobility? Why were these items not found within those thousands and thousands of years by thousands and thousands of other adventurers? How come low level PCs can find these items easily in a cave, but nobody else could over those long time frames?

I like to look at the D&D setting as post-apocalyptic (western science-) fantasy. Magic items were made in the past when they had the knowledge (and desire), but it's been lost. The magic is still out there: buried in dungeons guarded by vicious traps and dragons. The NPCs you mention (royalty, temples, etc.) built their wealth by taming a small area of land - clearing out the dungeons and taking the loot. Their lands are small and fragile, leaving a lot of untamed wilderness for the PCs to adventure in.

stevelabny

Explorer
It has been confirmed that my gut instinct was correct. It was unfortunate wording and we don't have to worry about 1st level barbarians having a one in ten chance of casting meteor swarms.

@Plaguescarred DMBasic p60 saysspell scroll can be cast by anyone but StarterSet p53 say not anyone, must be on spell list-Which one true?
@JeremyECrawford The Starter Set's version of the spell scroll is on target.

I just saw this thread. I was all happy at the thought of using Arcana to mimic a wizard the same way you can use Thieves' Tools to mimic a rogue. It made perfect sense, and hey, the "Use Magic Device" skill got rolled into "Knowledge: Arcane" to form "Arcana" the same way other skills have been combined in the past. Gives a reason for someone other than the wizard to take the skill, gives great character builds like the failed wizard upthread... and gone with a tweet.

I really hope that tweet gets removed. Especially since it probably only exists to prevent wizards from using divine spells.

edit: wizards not Wizard's. that looks ugly but I was obviously thinking Wizard's as in WOTC and I'm going to chalk it up to that and not total senility.

Last edited:

Eh. I, too, hope that tweet gets corrected, but if not, I'm still using this as a house rule in my campaigns. I like the idea that anyone can TRY to sound out the words/formula on a scroll, but that it's exceedingly difficult without the right training, and a mistake wastes the power of the scroll at least. I might have a mishap possibility for rolls that miss by a certain number.

It's just too cool an idea to ignore.

fjw70

Adventurer
I expect them to stick with the SS version of the scrolls rules since that one is in print already. The basic DM stuff can be updated to match. I also would be surprised for the DMG (and maybe basic rules to mention a variant that would allow anyone to attempt to use the scroll if the DM allows it.

Warbringer

Explorer
Eh. I, too, hope that tweet gets corrected, but if not, I'm still using this as a house rule in my campaigns. I like the idea that anyone can TRY to sound out the words/formula on a scroll, but that it's exceedingly difficult without the right training, and a mistake wastes the power of the scroll at least. I might have a mishap possibility for rolls that miss by a certain number.

It's just too cool an idea to ignore.

I like the organic feel of this; maybe its luck, maybe it's a god taking notice, the help of an unknown patron, or the unlocking of natural talent.

I'm keeping the cool baby, bath water or not.

On a different note: if the basic rules are wrong, how about WoTC update them? I mean, that is he benefit of a living document.

Agamon

Adventurer
I like the organic feel of this; maybe its luck, maybe it's a god taking notice, the help of an unknown patron, or the unlocking of natural talent.

On a different note: if the basic rules are wrong, how about WoTC update them? I mean, that is he benefit of a living document.

It will be updated eventually. They aren't going to update just with once small fix to one rule.

I also am going to go with the "accidental" rule, it's pretty cool. You can actually fail using the scroll and lose it this way, it's not like players can abuse it

Henry

Autoexreginated
I also am going to go with the "accidental" rule, it's pretty cool. You can actually fail using the scroll and lose it this way, it's not like players can abuse it

Eh. I, too, hope that tweet gets corrected, but if not, I'm still using this as a house rule in my campaigns.

Yeah truly, the only thing the "fix" will affect is organized play, it's not like trying to do away with op attacks in 3E or something that integrated. If your home table likes it, have a vote (or a benevolent dictator DM) and keep it.

Remove ads