Unhappy about the VT Announcement.

Imaro

Legend
Wait, you think it's a mistake to sell something over half your current subscriber base wanted 18 months ago?

67% is nothing to sneeze at!

I think the question is 67% vs. what? I don't remember the specifics of the survey, but I think the point some are trying to make is that it had the lowest (or one of the lowest) percentages for what people wanted...

S

Sunseeker

Look at the actual survey data. A VTT is one of the least wanted things. Now I agree that the people who wanted a VTT were very vocal, but choosing to ignore reasonable data in favor of anecdotes isn't solid methodology.

FWIW, I've always felt that a WotC VTT was a bad idea.

A survey conducted almost 2 years ago.

Not to mention a VTT program may quite very well be able to:
-create and manage campaign info(I mean, this is like what, a spreadsheet? a notepad document at best?)
-customize and print pre-made adventures(a VTT can quite easily have a database of existing adventures in it, and have them able to be customized)

The other things mentioned:
-customize and print monsters
-create character portraits

There's a separate Monster Builder in the works. Hey, we may never see it, but it's there.
Creating character portraits, that could be just about anything. Turn an image into character-sheet shape/size? Not a problem, custom-made art? That's a HUGE undertaking. Even such versatile programs as Hero Machine can't recreate your D&D character in many cases.

Scribble

First Post
What this also makes me wonder is if there are other unannounced things.

The faq makes it somewhat apparent that at least the MB is being weberized...

I'm wondering if there will also be an announced campaign manager. Several of the missing features in the CB seem like they might be missing because they'd be better suited to a DM's toolbox.

IE the DM sets whether or not characters made in his campaign use inherent bonuses, or have access to house ruled items.

If this is the case, they'd have the tri-fecta- in that they'd have a CB for making characters, a DM toolbox for making monsters house rules, etc... and the a game table to use it all on.

fanboy2000

Adventurer
I think the question is 67% vs. what? I don't remember the specifics of the survey, but I think the point some are trying to make is that it had the lowest (or one of the lowest) percentages for what people wanted...
I understand it has the lowest percentage, but it's still a lot of people.

The poll originally allowed you to chose more than one thing. Thus, there are many people who chose both VTT and one of the other things. I mean, if I want X,Y, and Z in that order but you start with Z instead of X, meh. Sure, it's bassackwards, but it doesn't make me sad. Nor do I think it's a major mistake. For whatever reason, they just really want to give me Z.

Think about all the posts on these boards complaining about the lack of VTT. Think about all those threads with lots of posts in them bemoaning the lack of a VTT. Think about how, every time there's a thread about an D&D and computers, someone brings up the VTT. The VTT has practically become the poster child for how Wizards always breaks promises and never delivers.

I know that Wizards is a company and has to make money. But it's ran by human beings. Personally, I'd want to make a VTT just to end the old VTT's legacy.

And, of course, someone is complaining that they're making a VTT. This really shouldn't be all that surprising or unhappiness inducing.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It's also the lowest priority relative to everything else.

Only if you are being very basic in setting your priorities. The business case may not be (and often isn't) quite that simple. They have a character builder, and some online game content in Dungeon and Dragon. That has driven some level of subscription.

The next business question is not just, "What is the tool most people want next?", but "What is the tool that will best drive new subscriptions and/or retention of subscriptions?"

There may also questions of opportunity costs, of which we would be completely ignorant. There's also a good argument to be made that if most or all of the other tools are supposed to integrate with the VTT, building the VTT now, so that the integration points are defined early, is best for the development of the overall suite of tools.

What most people want may be the best business decision, but there may be sound reasons for it to be otherwise, too.

fanboy2000

Adventurer
It's also the lowest priority relative to everything else.
It's also not out yet! It has no release date! They don't even know how much they're going to charge. All they did was announce that they were going to do a beta test and if you wanted to participate, you could sign-up and maybe be a part of it.

We could get the other things on that list before this thing leaves beta. Ever since the they missed the September update, people have been complaining that there is no communication from Wizards. Well, they gave us communication. They're going to do an beta test where the testers can openly discuss their experiences. That's communication.

It's an 18 month old poll. You what changed since then? They got reamed for not communicating to us while they fell behind in making an unannounced online CB. That's what happened.

This is what they're trying to do: give us the tools we want and have trust that when they announce a product, it's coming out. Basically, they're trying to reduce vaporware. That's a good thing.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
We could get the other things on that list before this thing leaves beta.

This is an excellent point. When and how one product goes to beta test does not tell you when other products are coming.

Ever since the they missed the September update, people have been complaining that there is no communication from Wizards. Well, they gave us communication. They're going to do an beta test where the testers can openly discuss their experiences. That's communication.

And a good way to discourage them from communicating is to use every communication only as a jumping-off point for vitriol. If communication is not seen to increase customer satisfaction, then they won't spend the effort on communicating.

Zaran

Adventurer
From what I understand this was done in Java. They may have gone to a third party for this and might not have used their own manpower on it. I hope this is the case because I have no faith in the DDI people. I do admit that it looks good.

Remove ads