• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unhappy with my fighter build. Please tell me where I am wrong.

ShaneJackson

First Post
rue, the feats later on have to be considered as well, but is 1 point of damage worth a +1 to all attack rolls?
By itself, no, but I'm looking at it through the lens of the feats I would use with it.

Your point about the fighter not being a striker is well made, tho. I've found it difficult to look at 4E in those terms (striker, controller, etc.), but what you say is true. That gives me a new way to look at it. My use of the word "foolish", which was always from my vantage point anyway, is still probably a poor choice of words. I should say "sub-optimal". But, as you say, a fighter is not a striker.

Thanks.

Squire James

First Post
I think the fact that Fighters with different ability score distributions favor different weapons is a GOOD feature of the 4e system. The longsword is no longer the A-1 Uberelite Must Have Weapon (in many earlier editions it was just that). In your particular case, you chose a set of ability scores that tends to favor axes and hammers. Using a longsword is sub-optimal in this case, though "sub-optimal" doesn't exactly mean "bad".

You CAN be an excellent longsword fighter. Just pick powers that don't depend on alternate ability scores because you will generally not have the right ones to match up with your longsword and your Constitution. For instance, Come and Get It + action point + Spinning Sweep is a good combo with virtually any weapon! If you're rushing into a big pile of enemies, well, you might as well hit all of them a couple of times!

Stalker0

Legend
With some of their daily stances like the ones that do 1[W] damage to anyone who starts next to them, they can do a damn fine impression of one, though. Especially if you get a waraxe or two hander.

I have to agree. Fighters also get a lot of multihit and close 1 area attacks. Don't underestimate there damage.

In the end though, one of the motto's of 4e is....don't let the mechanics get in the way of your flavor.

If you want your guy to have a longsword...then he wields a longsword. Mechanically does he wield a longsword? No! He wields an axe, and for all purposes its treated like an axe (axe feats, axe damage, axe proficiency, etc).

Flavorwise, your a swordsman who doesn't believe in finesse but raw force. Mechanically you have accepted the axe option as the particular "build" you are going for.

Turtlejay

First Post
I have to agree. Fighters also get a lot of multihit and close 1 area attacks. Don't underestimate there damage.

In the end though, one of the motto's of 4e is....don't let the mechanics get in the way of your flavor.

If you want your guy to have a longsword...then he wields a longsword. Mechanically does he wield a longsword? No! He wields an axe, and for all purposes its treated like an axe (axe feats, axe damage, axe proficiency, etc).

Flavorwise, your a swordsman who doesn't believe in finesse but raw force. Mechanically you have accepted the axe option as the particular "build" you are going for.
I like this. If you can get your DM to go along, this is certainly the way to go. Keep the look you are going for, and get the utility you seem to desire.

As far as not feeling satisfied, I've been there (I took a Str Paladin from 1-6th level). It is no fun to feel like you could be doing better with your character. Talk to your DM. If it means he lets you retrain stats, fine. Number one, you should like what you come to the table with. If Stalker0's most excellent suggestion is not to his liking, suggest one of the other good builds brought up here. Just be sure he understands you are not doing it to be uber, but to enjoy your character more.

Jay

Klaus

First Post

Well, what is a broadsword, if not an axe (+2/1d10/versatile) that belongs to the Heavy Blades category?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Well, what is a broadsword, if not an axe (+2/1d10/versatile) that belongs to the Heavy Blades category?

I was building a BRV fighter and came to the conclusion they unnecessarily attach axes to it.. then decided all I needed was to relax and imagine a huge en balanced maybe even anime style sword... blur my eyes there is the axe.

Klaus

First Post
I was building a BRV fighter and came to the conclusion they unnecessarily attach axes to it.. then decided all I needed was to relax and imagine a huge en balanced maybe even anime style sword... blur my eyes there is the axe.
Yeah, the groupings are a bit arbitrary. I mean, the Khopesh is both an Axe and a Heavy Blade!

Jack Colby

First Post
You are wrong in assuming that you can literally make any sort of build you want and have it be maximized. That's blunt, but you did ask, and it's the truth. 4E cannot do everything, and if every weapon worked equally well with every character, what a boring game it would be...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads