• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unique British aspects of D&D in the UK?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
As a keen rugby player, I often wondered about playing American Football, if I’d grown up in US.
I attended a school that had both. The rugby coach said playing on the American football team was a good way for the rugby players to stay in shape in the off-season, but clearly didn't take it seriously as a "real" sport. (No one getting bones broken during practice, for one thing.)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
In contrast, human history (certainly of the type that is more common in D&D) is more evident in UK. For example, I have four small castles and three large ones within 20 minutes drive of my house, as well as an Iron Age Hill Fort and three Neolithic barrows. I have actually played D&D in most of them, which is very atmospheric, especially at night.
It's a cliche, but I've always found the saying that "100 years sounds like a long time to an American, while 100 miles sounds like a long distance to a Briton" rings very true.

I know Americans who breathlessly talk about something being 200 years old, while I know from visits to the UK that there are completely ordinary buildings and roads that are twice as old that residents don't look twice at.

GuyBoy

Hero
It's a cliche, but I've always found the saying that "100 years sounds like a long time to an American, while 100 miles sounds like a long distance to a Briton" rings very true.

I know Americans who breathlessly talk about something being 200 years old, while I know from visits to the UK that there are completely ordinary buildings and roads that are twice as old that residents don't look twice at.
It is a cliche, but it’s a fairly well-supported one:
My school (where I played all that rugby, but alas no American football at the time), was founded in 1549, so it’s more than two centuries older than the USA. On the other hand, I was talking to some US friends who drove 60 miles to their nearest cinema to watch HAT. That said, driving in the wide open spaces of the US is a whole lot more fun than driving in the UK, especially the southern half.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Nothing beats the thrill of driving in the country lanes not knowing what's round the next corner, is it a herd of sheep, a tractor carrying silage or a boy racer doing 60mph on the single lane carriageway.
I've now got flashbacks to Withnail and I.

Anyone ever done an RPG conversion of that? As a Yank I feel I couldn't do it justice.

docmindie

First Post
I'm not British, but . . .

I've noticed a different art style and tone in British RPG products than their American counterparts. Somewhat equivalent to the differences in UK vs American humor (America could have never produced the genius of Monty Python).

Compare the art style and tone of Games Workshop's Warhammer products to D&D and other American fantasy/sci-fi . . . . I also remember being struck by the style of the classic D&D modules that were written by TSR UK staff back in the day (mostly Graeme Morris), the famed UK series of modules (and a few others). My favorite was O2 Blade of Vengeance by Jim Bambra.

I'm not sure how to describe the difference . . . . but I think it's there and noticeable. I would imagine as globalization and social media has ramped up that cultural differences in D&D have diminished, especially now that there isn't a TSR UK office!
I dare say, listen to what was popular american music vs popular british music in the 60s. The american music was more "happy" and "optimistic" in a way, the british was more gritty and darker undertones.

Beach Boys vs The Who.

Also, I heard (well, watched a clip about it on telly) about American film people talking to young British actor-hopefuls, saying something akin to "in America we are very dreamy in our productions, over here you tend to be more down to earth and realistic about things"

So there's that. That clip is at least 25 year old now, though, so I have no idea where to find it.

Though maybe I imagined it as well. Ut it seemed real.....

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
I dare say, listen to what was popular american music vs popular british music in the 60s. The american music was more "happy" and "optimistic" in a way, the british was more gritty and darker undertones.

Beach Boys vs The Who.

Also, I heard (well, watched a clip about it on telly) about American film people talking to young British actor-hopefuls, saying something akin to "in America we are very dreamy in our productions, over here you tend to be more down to earth and realistic about things"

So there's that. That clip is at least 25 year old now, though, so I have no idea where to find it.

Though maybe I imagined it as well. Ut it seemed real.....
The one I read was "In Britain death is imminent, in Canada death is inevitable, and in California death is optional." (The side effect being Americans waste a lot of time and money delaying the inevitable and refusing to address end-of-life issues, etc...)

Remove ads