• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

UNITY RPG: The Best of D&D 4E, Pathfinder, & Dungeon World

Unity is an interesting new game going soon. With diceless GMing, a narrative approach, and tactical gridless combat in which players operate in "unity" rather than taking turns, and inspirations from D&D 4E, Pathfinder, and Dungeon World, it's an indie game with great production values. I've been sent an exclusive preview of the game, which you can see below - two page spreads, one introducing the game and one taking a look at a combat encounter.

Unity is an interesting new game going soon. With diceless GMing, a narrative approach, and tactical gridless combat in which players operate in "unity" rather than taking turns, and inspirations from D&D 4E, Pathfinder, and Dungeon World, it's an indie game with great production values. I've been sent an exclusive preview of the game, which you can see below - two page spreads, one introducing the game and one taking a look at a combat encounter.

Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 11.11.01.png

Designer Anson Tran says "If I could sum up what I’m trying to do with Unity, it would be to create a game that has the tactical depth and crunch of D&D 4e, the excitement of character builds from 3.5e/Pathfinder and finally the narrative ease and storytelling potential of a game like Dungeon World. All of this oriented around very team-focused turn-less combat. Unity is Epic Fantasy infused with a flavourful dose of long lost magic-powered technology – there are guns, robots, and floating cities but they are a rare and momentous thing to discover."

There's a Kickstarter coming later this year for the 330+ page full-colour hardcover.

Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 11.11.12.png

A mesh of 4e, Dungeon World, and....Pathfinder?

Hrmmmm...

3.x/PF (discrete, micro-task resolution predicated upon process sim and open-world exploration conceits...with magic wildly overwhelming the mundane) shares pretty much nothing in common with Dungeon World save that they're both class-based systems for heroic fantasy.

The only thing PF and 4e share is that, Fort/Ref/Will (and that only in name), and the basic d20 vs TN resolution mechanic.

Now DW and 4e have a large amount of thematic (inspiration/relationships/values at the core of group play with magic/mundane parity) and gaming tech/general play procedure (broad-descriptor, keyword-driven systems focused on the resolution of conflict-charged scenes that reference stakes and leverage Fail Forward) overlap.

I'll be curious how this all comes together. I'll probably throw some money at it.

Engilbrand

First Post
I checked out a lot of the stuff he's posted. The way they come together seems to be this: You have a group of heroes with variable stats from different races, classes, and point-buy. They have useful abilities that come with those initial choices, then specific and special abilities that help to separate them. The Background ideas grant bonuses in situations that make sense. In combat, you go with the flow of it, with it abstracted enough that you won't find yourself 5 feet from doing the cool thing. All of the abilities provide interesting tactical options which can easily work with the rest of the team.

Anson

First Post
Hey folks... Big reply post incoming :)

Anson: do you foresee any trouble with the name?

(There's already a product out there with the name Unity - a game generator that allows you to design a game that then runs on most computer platforms)

Definitely a valid concern and one I'm cognizant about. I struggled with coming up with a name for the game to the point where it didn't make sense to dwell on it anymore as it was detracting hard from the actual design of the game itself. My main issue with using Unity isn't so much trademark/legal troubles (more often than not you can't trademark a common word) but rather people having a difficult time finding the game on search engines. Typing in Unity RPG in Google it doesn't even show up and you need to find it through links from forums I've shared the game on. Unity Tabletop RPG does much better it's on the first page. But there's still a lot of noise because the Unity game design engine is much more prominent. Initially I didn't think this would be a problem as I felt the RPG community is tight knit and connected and that if there's a new RPG abuzz, there'd be a link for it or an easier time connecting to the information but Google Analytics show me folks are still googling organically to try to find my site. God bless their relentless souls and search abilities :)

Could you elaborate a bit more on the Free-Form class system? I alwayshoped to see a system like that, if it is what I hope it is.

I wanted to have a character creation system that gave the player flexibility to create the unique character they envisioned and I didn't want class constraints to have an overwhelming impact on the history of that character and how that character approaches problems outside of combat.

In some systems, if you play a fighter type you are expected to be really good at athletic endeavours but much less proficient at scholarly activities. The option might be there to make a smart fighter but the rules may discourage it heavily by making the option expensive for fighter-types (i.e. no skill proficiency) or really detrimental (you wouldn't want to pump the INT stat at the cost of your STR stat). Unity seeks to find a happy medium that allows you to still feel great about making these unique character creation choices without creating an overpowered jack of all trades that has no weaknesses. You CAN have the fighter poet or the mage that likes to do Cross-Fit in his spare time. You won't be penalized for it but you will need to come up with an interesting story or piece of history that will help shape your character and also provide storytelling fodder for the GM and other players to interact with. When the KS launches, I'll definitely be diving more into the different mechanics in Unity to inform folks and help them make the decision if the game is for them.

Engilbrand's reply below is a nice summary of the process. I'll elaborate a bit from within the Class perspective and hopefully it'll give you a better idea of my design intent.

Classes shape your role in combat mainly. They have some perks that lend to the flavour of the class outside of combat - i.e. Phantoms get bonuses to stealth, Dreadnoughts get bonuses to smashing things open, Fell Hunters are particularly adept at tracking etc. Familiar archetypical bonuses. Within each class though, there are multiple builds that significantly change the way your class plays but still embraces the fantasy of that class. I've setup the powers in a way that each one should be an impactful and compelling choice but still serve different enough purposes that two characters of the same classes will play differently from each other unless they took exactly the same builds.

An example is the Dreadnought class. By short description, the Dreadnought is a roiling force of fury -- a veritable wrecking ball on the battlefield. She's an offensive tank that only knows one way and that's forward. But then you have a smattering of powers and upgrades to pick from each Tier as you progress in development. You could pick powers to build her in a way that you create a "Never say die" tenacious warrior that thrives in the chaos of battle. Self-healing off the adrenaline of combat, meeting enemies head on and having a safety net in a cheat death mechanic that pushes you to play her as aggressively as possible. Or you might be the type that wants to be an absolute meat blender and you lean heavily on offensive powers, powers that let you cleave through multiple enemies and amplify your damage at the possibility of leaving yourself vulnerable. You create a high-risk high-reward berserker going down this path. You might decide to grab the Charge power and upgrade it with Juggernaut to help you ping pong around the battlefield eviscerating swathes of enemies and keeping yourself a bit safer. Whereas in the first example you might take the Battering Ram upgrade instead to make you that sticky, tenacious death dealer. You only want to get into the thick of things and stay there as that's where you feel most at home.

A mesh of 4e, Dungeon World, and....Pathfinder?

Hrmmmm...

I'll be curious how this all comes together. I'll probably throw some money at it.

Definitely look at it from a "spirit of the game" perspective. I loved the different builds and character concepts you could create in Pathfinder. The anticipation of putting together a build and then the exhilaration of it working out in-game felt so good. From 4e we have deep tactical combat that really scratches the 'game' itch. DW embodies a spirit of storytelling, character development and constantly pushing the narrative towards interesting situations. These are the pillars that I'm trying to build Unity upon :)

Anson

First Post
For the record, I don't buy many RPGs, but I have been struck by this one. The rpgnet thread really helped to sell me on it.

My friend, I need to give you an award for being able to plow through those… I think 8 pages of sometimes gigantic posts and my incoherent ramblings? Respect and thank you!

Engilbrand

First Post
I didn't read everything. I got the gist of stuff, and paid special attention to the mechanics and examples. I'm generally interested in the setting, but want to wait for the final thing so that I don't allow old information to taint new/core information.
2 questions:
How do you decide when the monsters attack?
Can you give a solid example of a first level character? Stats, Powets, and in-combat specifics. I know you have some playtest groups. One of them would be cool.

Anson

First Post
2 questions:
How do you decide when the monsters attack?
Can you give a solid example of a first level character? Stats, Powets, and in-combat specifics. I know you have some playtest groups. One of them would be cool.

1. Monsters attack according to the situation/narrative. If the party is being ambushed, monsters get first strike and vice versa. In black and white situations like those, the transition to combat feels really nice. In murkier engagements, we've been playtesting with different approaches that still embrace the design philosophy of keeping things fast and engaging. One that has quickly become a winner is a pseudo bonus phase. If the narrative is a bit blurry on who should strike first, players have the option of doing a speed check against a static averaged TN of the monster group. Those characters that beat that number get to initiate the fight as a bonus then the monsters attack after and things resume as usual.

There are reactionary abilities for both players and monsters to keep things tactically interesting, elevate engagement and also potentially prevent either side from becoming pin cushions when they are on the defensive.

2. For sure. But this one you will have to a wait a little bit before it's released into the wild. This is part of a free sampler I've been working on. Part of the sampler is a nice slide with an example character that also discusses the different paths the character could have taken. It could definitely be one of the playtester's characters as well, actually probably save me more time :) I've been blessed with awesome people grinding away at the game and they've created some very interesting characters that would be great to showcase.

gribble

Explorer
Definitely look at it from a "spirit of the game" perspective. I loved the different builds and character concepts you could create in Pathfinder. The anticipation of putting together a build and then the exhilaration of it working out in-game felt so good. From 4e we have deep tactical combat that really scratches the 'game' itch. DW embodies a spirit of storytelling, character development and constantly pushing the narrative towards interesting situations. These are the pillars that I'm trying to build Unity upon :)

I had hoped this would be the answer - not the system details per se, but the rich character building and advancement from Pathfinder, the balance and tactical options of 4e, and the more freeform, story focused, player driven narrative style of DW. If the game manages to succeed in blending all that, it could become my new favourite fantasy system.

My only concern is the setting as currently presented - I'm not a big fan of the "World of Warcraft" / Exalted 2e vibe it is giving me - but as long as the setting is easily separable from the rules that won't be a deal-breaker.

Remove ads

Remove ads